First Post: The Next Bird

joshmod

Sep 3, 2013
Greetings All,

This is my first post here and I have to say that I am extremely happy to find a forum on birds!

We currently have a green-cheeked conure (for the past six years) and are now considering another bird. I was hoping for some good feedback and perhaps wisdom as we are looking probably for a bit of a larger bird. We have a child and one on the way and we have decided that we do want to raise them around birds. Our daughter loves our conure, but also knows that he is not for touching (though talking, dancing and playing music for him are perfectly good activities).

We have been looking at birds in the medium sized category (from large conures to ekkies to amazons to even mini macaws) and are not quite sure what to go with. I personally would love to even get a b&g but my wife says she is a bit too nervous to have one in the house, and perhaps rightfully so. All in all though, we are very laid back people and would want another "beak-faced child" that is a bit of the same.

Now here is the trick, we really want to adopt a bird. We have multiple adoption agencies around us and just feel that the option is so available that we really should consider it. I think most folks would say just buy a baby since we have children, but I am curious if there are some other opinions on this as well (or some strong ones in the opposite direction).

Looking forward to the responses and glad to finally be on the forum.

Cheers!

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
My galah came from a pet shop, but they'd bought her as an adult from someone who could no longer care for her, and she'd been in the shop for a long time, easily six months. I originally wanted to go for a baby but I visited the store a few times over the period I was researching species, and in the end couldn't bear the thought of her stuck there so paid the ransom to get her out.

It's been a tough few months, and she seemed at first to be resigned to life being miserable, sleeping for long periods of the day and not wanting to leave the safety of the cage. I think I sold myself on the idea of being the knight in shining armour swooping in to rescue her, so it was a bit of a shock to the ego to realize she viewed moving in with me as just the latest in a string of unsettling changes. But she's a totally different bird now, sweet, funny and mischievous, full of desire to explore and experiment with things, and I'm so proud to have been part of that.

So for me, providing a home for an older bird is a great thing to do. I've always been warned that rehomed birds are being rehomed for a reason, but in reality there are lots of reasons people rehome birds and it's not always that they scream all day or attack anyone other than their primary carer. Alice's original owner apparently gave her up to go into sheltered accommodation where Alice wasn't welcome. And, even if there's a risk they will have issues that will need addressing, there is at least the benefit that they're not going to turn into a pubescent monster a year down the line.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I would always go for a rehome than a baby. Too many birds out there without a home... I would not go with an amazon if you have children. I find jardines to be quite mellow and the perfect size, not too big and not too small.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I think rehoming a bird would be a great idea! You can always visit it a couple times before purchase to make sure you'll get along, too. It's always good if a parrot in need gets a forever home. I would recommend caiques, of course, but, as they have a reputation for not getting along with other animals, that might not be a good idea with your green-cheek. They are very good with strangers, though, and they'd be good for kids since they don't mind being touched and love to play rough. They're also smaller, so you wouldn't have to worry about bites.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you have a bunch of adoption places near you, then go to them! Take the entire family! Some might not adopt out to families with small kids, some may. For those that will, tell them what you are looking for. They may be able to point you in the right direction of which birds specifically to look at within the rescue! It may also help you decide on which birds you can or cannot handle.

Not all rehomed parrots come with baggage! Don't be afraid to go and interact with some adults!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree with a re-home, their are so many homeless parrots out there. My local shelter has nearly 500 birds and are no refusing any more birds because they have no room in their foster homes. It's really sad :(

I have a rescued bird, and a re-homed bird.

Rosie, a galah cockatoo, is my rescue. In her old home she was literally on her way to death and acted catatonic(learned hopelessness), she only had a few months-one year left in her. Kenji, a Congo African grey, on the other hand is a re-homed bird. He came from a fantastic home, was given a excellent diet and the best vet care his entire life. He is a emotionally happy and stable bird.

Rescue birds are a big task to take on, they may have scarring emotional damage, be moderately - severely ill, and just need a lot of work. They need someone who can love them unconditionally no matter their ailments, whether they be a sweet & loving plucker, or a beautiful bird with a terrible bite.

A re-home on the other hand is a bird who came from a relatively good enviroment. You may have to tweak their diet, and maybe do basic training because they have minor to bad habits, but they're not emotionally scarred.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
If you can find a rehomed bird that takes to you and your family that can be a good route. I do not know if a rescue would consider anyone with children or not. In my case I live too far to nearest rescue to be considered. I have Hahns macaw that is laid back (but not all mini macaws are like that).

Most Reactions

Latest posts