First Taste of Ice Cream After a Rough Day

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Rosie had a bit of a rough day today. She fell off her java tree and was a bit shaken, but thankfully no injuries.

Shortly after that, my daughter got herself some ice cream and the dogs were very interested in getting a taste. Which got Rosie out of her funk and very interested in the ice cream as well. This was her first taste, and I know she shouldn't have it regularly. She was just so cute that I took a video that I thought I would share. Excuse my appearance please, we are in the middle of a heat wave here in NJ and I was a mess from going in and out with the kids. :)

[ame=http://youtu.be/6VWHoVZrXfI]Rosie Tastes Ice Cream - YouTube[/ame]

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
So sweet!!! I let Gilbert taste ice cream last month too!!

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
Rosie is beautiful...I needed to see something that precious, just adorable. ;)

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
awwww!! that tongue!!! She's so darn cute!!! Chloe claimed a fish stick today, I'm pretty sure that isn't standard african grey diet either.....lol

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
My Alex, Bundii loves ice cream. She laps at it like a dog. She does not get it all the time but when she is allowed, she will happily hold her own spoon and lick it clean.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That is THE sweetest thing, Kendra. I'm all smiles, from ear to ear. :D Rosie loves you SO much!

So, Rosie throws pity parties after she falls down, too? Niko does the same thing. It's hilarious because he only wants to be snuggled and held tight afterwards, plus tons of reassurance that he is all right. :)

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Very cute! I love seeing birds tasting something new, they're so careful when tasting and you can almost see the thoughts going through their mind trying to decide if they like it.

Just out of curiosity, is frozen yogurt any better for them than regular ice cream? I've heard yogurt mentioned once or twice used as a treat, but I expect it probably has the same issues since it's still a dairy product.

If you haven't tried it yet, see what Rosie thinks of some crushed ice with a little fruit juice on it. Frankie went wild over orange juice with crushed ice. Every taste she would say, "MMMM".

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Cute video. And that is a great idea for a little frozen treat with the fruit juice over crushed ice. Thanks to both of you for sharing:)

csperkins3

Jun 20, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Ozzy - CAG (born April 2010)

Bubbles - B&G Macaw (born Jan. 2012)
Thanks for sharing that is so cute. I loved the video:)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
SO CUTE!!!!

Yesterday I was eating some ice cream and Jackie decided he wanted to try it since mommy was stuffing her face with it.. So I put a little tiny blob in a tiny cup for him and I was laughing so hard at his little tongue!! He loved it though lol

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
That was too adorable! This summer in southern California has just been a gigantic heat wave... Usually in the 100's. :)

If you haven't tried it yet, see what Rosie thinks of some crushed ice with a little fruit juice on it. Frankie went wild over orange juice with crushed ice. Every taste she would say, "MMMM".
We have a slushie machine so when it gets really hot I give the fids 100% fruit juice slushies. :) They love a little bit of homemade orange juice too, pulp and everything (I love the pulp, haha).

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Thanks everyone! She really enjoyed it!

Yes Wendy, she totally has a pity party. I get her and once I make sure she isn't hurt she will cuddle in and make her baby cry noises. Poor little thing. Fortunately, if she isn't hurt it has been fairly easy to distract her. :)

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
I am going to try the crushed ice with juice - we have a snow cone maker so I will make the kids snow ones and Rosie a juice snow one today. It is supposed to be the worst day of the heat wave today so it should be a nice treat. :)

I will also try squeezing her an orange, I never thought of that!

Thank you so much everyone for the great ideas!!! I am sure Queen Rosie will appreciate it! ;)

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots

I love that Frankie said MMMM. They are so cute when they get excited over things they like.

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Rosie is precious. I don't have a Greenwing, but if I ever do I have a name already picked out (Howard) My Scarlet boy Clifford really likes ice cream and we often go to McDonalds and Baskin Robbins for a cone. Although he licks the ice cream slowly like a real gentleman he usually winds up discovering the sugar cone and then wants nothing but that. Ice cream probably is not good for him, but he really doesn't eat that much of it. Kayko didn't care that much for it until I bought strawberry

Last edited:

Most Reactions