first time bird owner questions about fumes

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
I recently purchased a foyer table that was on display at the furniture store no odors or fumes. I went back the next day and got the matching coffee table and end table but they had to be assembled at home. As I was putting together the tables I noticed a strong odor and saw the fine print on the underneath of the table that it contained formaldehyde and immediately brought the furniture to my porch and opened all my windows. The birds room is adjacent to the living room and her door was closed. My questions are...will the bird be affected by that sort of exposure?...should I remove the foyer table even though its been aired out and does not have a smell... are pressed wood furnishings safe even after they have don't seem to have a noticeable owner? Sorry if I seem like the crazy first time bird owner I just want to make sure I am providing a safe environment for her.
Thanks in advance!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Through reading on it they can release the gas for long periods of tI'm but majority of it is within the first year. So I would keep that piece in a area well ventilated or return the piece period. Either that or get a good filtration system in your bird room to eliminate issues.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Great post and question. We are starting to look at replacing furniture and I hadn't thought about this type of issue. Ill be following and reading up to learn more before we decide what to get.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
There's a little bit of information here.
Is Your Furniture Hazardous to Your Health? 4 Lessons to Learn About Formaldehyde | Gaiam Life

The problem is determining where the formaldehyde is coming from, because it might be "in" the material, or it could be something that it was coated with, like resin. The good news though, is that it dissipates very quickly and shouldn't be at a harmful level.

Little more info here, about removing it from furniture. It's recommended that you take it outside in the sun, which helps formaldehyde off-gas from being heated up by the sun. The other recommendation is an air purifier.
How to Remove Formaldehyde From Upholstered Furniture | Home Guides | SF Gate

Chances are that everything should be fine, so I wouldn't be TERRIBLY concerned. But ultimately it's up to you to determine the risk, but most furniture is treated, as well as carpets, clothes, etc. I can't smell the furniture from here, so it's up to you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Most 'hard' wood furniture will not have this kind of problem.

Look at in stock (store models) they have been open and vented into the store for an extended time.

OP
KrisandPenelope

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
Thanks everyone for the advice! We're going to play it safe and return it. For the money we spent on it we can find a nice piece of solid wood!

Most Reactions