First time Eckie owner, need advice.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
I've been told more than once that I shouldn't be paranoid, but I've been adjusting not only to having Max here, but to not having my beloved Indian ringneck here. She passed on from a sudden illness the day after I brought Max home, and she was my constant for nearly a decade. So I'm working with him and working through my grief at the same time.

He definitely doesn't mind me watching him while he moves around, and he does his wing wave for attention quite a bit. He loves interaction and I've started to work with him to hopefully get to the point where he can comfortably come out of his cage, but he's decided he's going to be nippy when hands come near him! Fortunately he does respond to being told not to bite (multiple times) and even let me pet his beak today. He's not aggressive and doesn't seem to be scared of anyone otherwise.

How much does an ekkie normally eat? I'm concerned that he doesn't seem to be eating very much. He still prefers that blasted parrot seed mix (I'm still waiting to hear about my possible ekkie seed source, so he's getting a very small amount of the parrot seed mix), so I'm still trying to tempt him over to veggies. Today I tried the thawed frozen mix (carrots, corn, peas, and green beans, no salt or additives...mix also had lima beans, those get removed) with his favorite grapes and apple. Limited success. Cinnamon sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try that too.

He tried to swipe my mother's tea today. Cheeky rascal. :) He's also started to think the metal ring that holds his food bowls is a toy to chew on. I'm happy he seems to want to chew on things, but I'm not particularly keen on letting him chew on that just in case something happens because of it. I will need to get him plenty of wood things to chew.

I've been able to track down where I can order that book, even though it's a used copy! It already sounds better than the one I was going to order. I'm very keen on learning everything I can about the breed, since I'd actually barely heard of them before I adopted Max.

Also working on finding a larger cage than the one I posted about. Max's former owner had larger cages to give away as well, but I wasn't able to get one...because I would only take Max and not the ill-tempered female who was in the same cage. (They weren't a mated pair, she rejected all the males.)

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
He has responded better to being petted on the beak through the bars. I may be going too fast putting my hands in the cage. I likely should slow down.

If I'm feeding him his fruit and veg out of a 30 ounce bowl, how much should be in the bowl? Just covering the bottom? Halfway up the bowl? I don't want to unintentionally be starving him from not knowing just how much he should be having at a given meal. This is the first bird I've had that's required this kind of diet, with all the other ones I've had all I had to do was keep the seed bowl full and they were content.

My self-esteem wasn't the best to begin with, and I'm still a little skittish after losing Thomasina, though it's getting better. I worry that I'm not doing right by Max, that I'm not the right person for him. I know I shouldn't expect miracles immediately since it's been less than a week, but still, I worry.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Book has been ordered!

Max was being fed a Doctors Foster and Smith Premium Blend parrot food prior to me adopting him. I'm still waiting to hear about the Volkman seed, so would the parrot food be OK to feed like that for now?

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
OK, fresh fruit/veg has been replaced with the seed mix (it was just over two hours since the fresh food was put in), which he is eating. Voraciously.

I'm now sure I was going way too fast with getting him onto fresh food, and this is very likely the way to go.

So in doing it this way, I'd leave the seed in until his afternoon meal, switch it out for the fresh food, then switch the seed back in after two hours?

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I actually ordered my Volkman "Avian Science Super Eclectus" seed mix from Amazon.com. (The seed mix should only be a small part of his diet, though.)

I also got the Volkman Feather Glow Fancy Soak and Simmer from Amazon as well. The Soak and Simmer is far more important, in my opinion, than the seed mix. Grains and legumes are an essential part of the eclectus diet, and Soak and Simmer provides both.

And keep trying with those fruits and veggies! Persistence will win out.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Would I be able to use a store-bought bean mix in place of the Soak and Simmer?

I know I can order through Amazon, but I want to have a more local source to order his seed, if possible. I'm hoping the feed store I normally order bird seed from can come through for me again.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Yes, just remember to soak the beans before cooking according to the directions, it's usually soaking them overnight.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
What kinds of beans are good to use in a bean mix, and what kinds should I avoid? I'm not too clear on this, besides the warnings for larger beans.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I really like to use Mung, Lentils (there are many kinds of lentils) and Garbanzo, those seem to be the birds favorites. The only kind I have never fed is Lima.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
So they soak overnight, then they get cooked for how long? A half hour? And then the mix can be frozen, right?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Yeah, I used to buy the Volkman's Soak and Simmer, but now I just buy a ten-bean soup mix and add some brown rice to it :)

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
I'll have to watch that video later. Getting lots of good ideas to tempt Max away from the dreaded parrot seed and onto fresh foods.

He politely tried his evening veggie mash (carrots, corn, green beans and peas put in a food processor, just enough to fill his bowl halfway, mixed with apple and grape slices), but otherwise wasn't interested in it. Of course, he was browsing his seed today, so he's prob'ly just not hungry.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Double-posting because the edit button has gone missing. 3DS stinks for this kind of thing. (Button came back before I edited this!)

After I posted, I took the bowl from its holder and held it out to Max again. This time, he was intrigued enough to follow the bowl down to the holder and actually try it. After a few minutes of him nibbling and beaking through for grape bits (mixed in well enough that he still got veggie mash), he left the bowl. I waited a few minutes, then offered the bowl again, and he came down again and ate a little more of the mash. Not just the grape bits, either. He ate some veggie!

I'm happy he seems to like the veggie mash, and that he's open to trying it.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
This morning's apple/pineapple/blueberry mash didn't fare as well as the veggie mash. He tried it, then it was right down to the seed bowl. It took several minutes for me to accomplish the morning bowl switch. Stubborn bird. Haven't been able to get out of the house to do proper grocery shopping yet, so I'm still working with what I have on hand. At least I know he's eating something.

He seems to like it a little better if I hold the fresh food bowl up to him. No idea what that says about either of us!

Tomorrow the vet is getting a call (was unable to reach him on Friday) and an appointment will hopefully be scheduled. It's going to be stressful for the both of us, but there's no getting around it. I honestly have no clue if Max has ever been to a vet before. Wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't. I just want to know if he's truly healthy and get him checked over.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I just wanted to tell you what a dedicated and loving bird owner you seem like. I know you've been nervous about things, but I think you two are going to do great :) If I were a bird, I'd live with you any day!

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
That made me feel so very good. Thank you!

Everything seemed so overwhelming at first, to the point where I considered bringing him to a bird rescue because I didn't think I was good enough to take care of him, but now I think Max and I are going to be fine. We're settling in and feeling each other out, but we're going to be fine.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Tonight I added a little scrambled egg to a quarter cup of warmed veg, two quartered grapes and a small bit of cut up apple, and put it through the food processor like normal to make his mash.

Huge success. He tried it, got a taste for it, and has yet to leave the bowl alone for more than a minute or so, even after I put the bowl back in the holder.

Is cooked egg safe to feed often? I think that really made the difference.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I personally wouldn't give egg more than 2 or 3 times a month for fear of excessive cholesterol. But that's just me being careful.

Most Reactions