First time Eckie owner, need advice.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
But you are definitely on the right track with your approach! Trial and error is how you're going to find what works. Keep throwing those combos at him! Fresh, cooked, large pieces, minced, sliced, grated, warm, cool, soft, crunchy... You never know what will make the difference. Keep in mind that they are almost as intrigued by texture as by taste.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Yeah, I feed egg to my ekkie but he doesn't get a ton of it. You can always scramble him up egg whites and see if he likes those as much! Honestly, I've yet to find a form of meat that Zephyr won't eat with relish. He wishes he'd been born a carnivore.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Egg whites! Yes, I'll have to try it and see if he likes it just as much. It should be healthier for him, as well, and might end up being a regular addition to his meals if I can do that. I didn't give him too much egg tonight, but he seemed to really enjoy it mixed with his fruit/veg. He ate a good amount of the mash mix and barely bothered with the seed bowl after I put it back in for the night.

Didn't have to throw too much away, either. I was catching flak over how much was getting thrown away (my mother doesn't believe in throwing away too much food), so I was also experimenting with the amount of food given, and for now this was a success as well.

Going to purchase some brown rice, bean mix, and more fruit/veg when I can get out to the store and give him even more things to try.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Can Max have oatmeal? Not the preprocessed kind, just made straight from oats with nothing else in it.

Fruit mash this morning (plum, mango, strawberry, blueberry, and grape) is seemingly only really eaten if I hold the bowl up to him. Whether that's a comment about where the food bowl is placed or what relationship he wants us to have, I've no idea.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Yes, he can have oatmeal and will probably love it.

I think he's trying to tell you something!

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
He prob'ly is! And he's prob'ly not going to like anything tomorrow, he has an appointment with the avian vet tomorrow afternoon.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
Maybe he'll surprise you. Zephyr loves to be taken outside in his travel cage to smell the fresh air and look around -- and he loves car rides. I'll cross my fingers for you!

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Max likes car rides, so that's not a problem. It's the stopping that makes him cranky!

Picked up some stuff at the market while out making sure I knew where the vet was. Mixed up Max's mash a little with blueberries, kale and peppers. He wasn't particularly interested in it beyond a few bites, and even tried taking the bowl away from me when I offered it to him. He then eyed up my supper instead!

He did demolish an entire small wheel of fresh corn earlier, though, so he's likely just not that hungry.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Max is back from his first visit to the avian vet! He had an examination (he is healthy!), then his nails and his wings trimmed, and he will be going back in just over a month to get his beak filed down.

He wasn't happy about the whole thing, and I was nervous just watching.

The vet recommended I gradually convert him from the dreaded parrot mix over to Harrison's High Potency pellets, cut back on his fruit/veggie intake, and start toweling to get him socialized, as right now he can't really bite me due to his beak being as long as it is. She (and everyone else there) also says that he's a beautiful bird. :)

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
I'm not sure I'd listen to the vet about the pellets and the veggies/fruit. Unless he/she felt there was some particular reason why Max needs pellets, I would be concerned that the vet is not that familiar with eclectus and isn't aware of their specific dietary needs.

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
She recommended the pellets and backing off on the fruit/veg a little (but not entirely) due to concerns that, in the sudden transition from the seed diet he's had all his life to a healthier diet, he may develop diarrhea. She seemed pretty knowledgeable about eclectus (and even spoke about examining a female eclectus a few days prior) and knew how to handle Max and what to look for right off. Even showed me the bars on his feathers and directly indicated that they were from his diet.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
Ah, I guess I could see that. So the heavy pelleted diet would only be temporary as you weaned him onto veggies?

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Yep! The pellets were suggested to help wean him off the parrot mix and ease the transition to a fresh diet.

Barely had to mention that he'd been on the parrot mix. She knew right away that it wasn't good for him. She also was suggesting fresh foods that were good for him to have, and was happy to hear about the fresh food mash.

He ate a little of his evening mash tonight and is currently falling asleep on his perch. He's very tired from his big day.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
Wish there were more choices in vets in case I did need a second opinion, but the pickings here in Vermont are very slim. I've only found three: the one I saw today, one that's a little closer to my house but apparently doesn't leave his phone on for people to get in touch with him in the first place (and I tried contacting him first...*facepalm*), and one that's clear across the state.

My copy of "A Guide to Eclectus Parrots" shipped today, and hopefully will be here in a few days. Can't get the Volkman seed locally, though. :( Ordered it (and the Soak and Simmer) from Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
So I was recommended the TOP Organic pellets in place of the Harrison's (and I'm now really leery of the Harrison's after hearing about them possibly containing spirulina), does anyone have any experience with them?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It won't be a bad thing to transfer to fresh food right now as seeds can still be given in small amounts. I personally would stay away from pellets all together with Eclectus parrots!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I agree with Michael. There is nothing wrong with seeds given in small amounts, so I don't see why pellets would be needed as a transitional bridge. I'm currently testing using a small supplement of pellets with Bixby, but around 90% of his diet is still fresh fruits, veggies, grains and legumes.
Too heavy a pelleted diet can lead to toe tapping and wing flipping, as well as general grumpiness and sometimes even feather plucking.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I must say I have come around to thinking no pellets for the eclectus as well. I am not having any issues with my crew but I have been buying both the tops and the Harrison's and other than Jillie liking the Harrison's in her foraging drawers which she promptly removes and breaks into crumbles they really don't eat it.:rolleyes: I keep them plenty full with fresh foods and the Volkman seed (small amount) in their bowls at night so it has begun to seem like a waste since they mostly toss it anyway.
I have started adding the pellets to the Zon's food and they seem to like it more.:)

OP
R

Rave

Jun 4, 2014
Georgia, Vermont
10426705_516116995183063_4179886671577853197_n.jpg

Max surveying his kingdom, taken earlier. :) The big ham actually started posing for me!

Most Reactions