First two days of bringing Bowie to work!!

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Bowie the Green Cheek Conure
Got my new little baby GCC, Bowie in April, and things have been going so well.
My work allows me to bring my bird in with me to work, so I went ahead and bought a second cage. I brought him in inside of a plastic, clear bird travel carrier and I was nervous but he did extremely well in the car!

I work for a small family owned business in a nice office, which we currently have a cat here as well. She was very curious about the new birdie, and as you can tell by the picture, so wasn't my coworker! :09: She likes to watch him but loses interest a lot and goes about her day. He goes nuts playing with all of his toys and seems a lot happier than when he would be stuck at home during work hours because I didn't want to bring him with me until he was 100% comfortable with me.

After the first day of work with him coming with me, we went home to eat and both took a nap lol he was dozing at the top of his cage at home until he decided to tuck himself on a branch inside to fall asleep. Today I took him in his plastic carrier for a walk during break in a state park, everyone stopped to say hello to us so I'm excited that he will be socialized in no time. Everyone loves him! Eventually I will have him trained on a harness for when we go out for walks, but within time. :) :rainbow1:

Attachments

• 18198726_10155228152214603_8634178398942984586_n.jpg
    18198726_10155228152214603_8634178398942984586_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 18302099_10155231766704603_925638117_n.jpg
    18302099_10155231766704603_925638117_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 200

haleyd

May 1, 2017
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Baby Bird)
Aww this is awesome!
I plan to bring my GCC with me everywhere as well, I go to a vey pet friendly campus so he will be able to come to all my classes and outings.
What color variation is your baby? I love the bright reds!

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Thank you haleyd! :] That's so awesome and exciting, that's really the best part I think is having them always with you.

I unfortunately had to buy my GCC from a pet store after searching everywhere (even somewhat nearby states, I was willing to drive for one) for a breeder. I personally wasn't comfortable with having one flown in from another state, thinking they could possibly die from the stress of the trip and I wanted to meet the bird first. I met a total of 5 different birds before getting the one I have now.

SO, back to the question you asked lol, the pet store had him labeled as a "fancy" GCC so Idk if he has a color mutation label like pineapples, cinnamons, etc have. He (or she, not yet sexed but just saying he for now) does have a lot of red on the head and belly with some yellow :]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great pics, nice of you to offer Bowie another dimension to life most of us can only dream! Cat definitely seems interested, hopefully this will not create a problem. They are masterful climbers, and cage bars offer great opportunity. Cat scratches/bites are extraordinarily dangerous to birds, so please use extreme caution. Bowie may be particularly vulnerable during the transfer between cage and carrier.

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
No worries Scott, she was only interested the first day. She has not attempted to jump on the cage at all and she basically lost interest, she's usually in the other office with her owner but Bowie's cage is directly next to my desk so he is always in my sight. :]

haleyd

May 1, 2017
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Baby Bird)
I believe he would be a high red "classic" or standard. So basically the normal green Cheek colors only with a lot of red added in. He's very very beautiful, I'm such a nerd for color variations.
I understand buying from a pet store, it's not always such a horrible thing. The very first green Cheek I met was at a pet store and if she hadn't been extremely over priced I would have brought her home that day!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
No worries Scott, she was only interested the first day. She has not attempted to jump on the cage at all and she basically lost interest, she's usually in the other office with her owner but Bowie's cage is directly next to my desk so he is always in my sight. :]

Awesome! Forgive the concern, but our pages are filled with problematic encounters between species! This is such a gift to Bowie and adds so much to his life!

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Yea, I wasn't completely sure haleyd but also feel like pet stores just use "fancy" to sell him for more lol. The pet stores around here are also expensive, one smaller owned pet store wanted a pineapple green cheek for $600 while Petsmart and Petco was $400-$450. So unfortunately, I did have to pay quite a bit more just for the comfort of not having to buy from a breeder from another state, to not even be able to meet the bird first and possible death from airplane flight stress. Overall, I'm ecstatic with my new companion and 100% sure with the bird I chose! I can't wait for you to get your new birdie, I'd love to see the colors on yours too! :]

Also no worries Scott, that's completely understandable! Trust me, I was nervous about their meeting too but surprised and very relieved about how well it went lol. When I took Bowie out for a walk yesterday in his carrier, he made quite a few new human friends! People were amazed at how well he sat in his carrier, just casually eating some snacks before lunch and curious about everything around him. Very happy that he will be socialized in no time!

I only work with 3 other people, my boss, my manager, and my other coworker and he's loved by all of them with Bowie accepting a treat from them. (currently through the bars of his cage to prevent possible bites for right now) The next hurdle is harness training but I suspect that might only take a week or two for him to warm up, I'd like for him to only have to use the carrier for car rides so for walks he can be a little more free using a harness on my shoulder.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just watch that cat. All it takes is 1 claw to get through the bars and connect with your birds neck, for example. Good Luck

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Just watch that cat. All it takes is 1 claw to get through the bars and connect with your birds neck, for example. Good Luck

yes I understand the concern, as I explained to Scott --- she was only interested the first day. She has not attempted to jump on the cage at all and she basically lost interest, she's usually in the other office with her owner but Bowie's cage is directly next to my desk so he is always in my sight.

So please no worries about the cat, I know she looks extremely interested in the photo but that was the first meeting. Myself and my coworker did not leave the cat's side the entire time she was checking him out until she got bored and walked away. That doesn't mean I won't continue to be cautious of her, but I see no problems in the future.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Wow, how so very exciting for the two of you! Love the pics. I wish my work let me bring my birds!!! You are very lucky to be able to do this. I'm so glad to hear things are going so well. Keep us updated on how things keep going, and of course we love pictures!!!! :)

And far as the cat goes, as long as you keep a close watch on it when it comes up to investigate, you shouldn't have an issues. We have two ragdoll cats and the birds are kept in their cage when we're at work and cats are put away when I take the birds out. I've never had an issue.

Last edited:
OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Wow, how so very exciting for the two of you! Love the pics. I wish my work let me bring my birds!!! You are very lucky to be able to do this. I'm so glad to hear things are going so well. Keep us updated on how things keep going, and of course we love pictures!!!! :)

And far as the cat goes, as long as you keep a close watch on it when it comes up to investigate, you shouldn't have an issues. We have two ragdoll cats and the birds are kept in their cage when we're at work and cats are put away when I take the birds out. I've never had an issue.

Ragdolls are so beautiful! :] Yea, I have some experience with the situation as my mom also has two cats along with a cockatiel but her cats literally could care less about the bird too lol. I definitely won't let my guard down on the cat even if she seemingly doesn't care as much either. She went to visit him today, he climbed down to the bottom of the cage to see the cat and she jumped way back lol, she's pretty scared of him although she does like to look at him from time to time. Most of the day she is with her owner in the next office over. He's in my site 24/7, I'll post a pic of the postitioning of the cage but he is directly next to me so he is always in my view.

Attachments

• 18278421_10155237535444603_532315648195579338_o.jpg
    18278421_10155237535444603_532315648195579338_o.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 164

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I LOVE this whole thing.
How wonderful to have your darling with you all day.
Very enlightened, supportive worksite.

Geeeeez, Bowie is just breathtakingly beautiful.
Did I miss this someplace... how did you come up with the name?

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Thank you! I am very excited to give him (or her, finding out next week! So excited) a very fulfilling life. Thank you the feather colors are gorgeous, your bird is quite beautiful as well!

I was having a tough time coming up with a unisex name in case he ended up being a she, he was originally named Skittles but I wanted to give a name of my own. He's quite the colorful rainbow and then I thought hey, how about Bowie for rainbowie lol. :p

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I have to agree with all the above posts. It's also so heartwarming to hear such great stories when the world (and even sometimes this forum) has so much heartbreak.

I also like the name you chose. Good thing you didn't stick with Skittles. lol

OP
B

Behxo

Apr 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Lol, yea Skittles is a cute name though! Fits your pretty bird very well, and thank you :]

Most Reactions

Latest posts