Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I don't understand why these birds are taken away from their parents this young? Maybe the breeder hopes for more eggs/babies?

They are certainly very cute, but I still reckon they should be fed/raised by the parents for quite a while, yet... Unless, of course, there's a reason to pull them out...

I pull mine at anywhere between a few days and 4 weeks. The first few times my pair had babies, they fed them but didn't clean them up real well and I had problems with babies getting infections in their mouths. The babies were fine, it was more of a nuisance infection than a systematic make them sick sort of thing. But for the first several years I pulled quite a few at about the one week mark. Now that my pair knows what they are doing, I leave the babies until they are about 10-28 days depending on how things are going in there. Right now I have about 17 and 20 day old babies still in the nest. So far I haven't seen much of a difference between babies left with the parents longer and babies pulled earlier in terms of personality of development. Weight gains tend to be more consistant when I'm feeding them though. In my 2010 batch of three boys, the youngest was smaller than his three brothers at the same age. By the time he hit has peak weight, he was the largest baby, probably because of hand-feeding he was able to reach his full genetic potential. Not that he would necessarily have been obviously stunted or sickly if left with the parents. But he might have been a little skinnier or a few percent under sized from what he could have been. Hand-feeding is the great equalizer in producing consistantly healthy chicks. Also, I have NEVER so far lost an amazon baby after pulling for hand-feeding. But the first time my pair hatched three babies, the youngest died in the nest. It makes me a little itchy to get them out of there.
Melissa

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
They are quite un cute, when so little. lol They look better with feathers..lol... But we know what they are- pretty parrots.. Love parrots and every parrot is cute..

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Hand feeding doesn't help in bonding... only handling will... A breeder, I know, use a tube to feed her many babies... Then she clip their wing to take them to the market, where most of them are sold, and these birds are not hand reared, just fed through a tube for 5 second each feed...

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Yes and the breeder is handling them like i said before he hand rears the fist set of babies and leaves the second set for the parents to rear

Most Reactions

Latest posts