Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Well, after letting the suit hang by the cage for a few days, and then letting River "play" with the suit while outside the cage with me, today he successfully wore it for a bit! Once it was on, I right away gave him some apple (one of his favorites). While eating, he didn't pay much mind to the suit, chewed on the suit a little when done with his apple. I didn't leave it on for very long, just going to try short bits each day as he will allow. It seems a little big, but since he's just a baby yet, I think he fill out a little more. (the sizing chart listed this one for green cheeks, and the one size below for "baby green cheeks")

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Oh! wanted to add that after I took it off, he was preening his feathers like a crazy boy! Probably thinking "Mom! Look how you mussed up my feathers!" lol

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
It sounds like he did awesome...I am so happy for you.....Please make sure it is fitting him properly before you take him outside with it...I would just hate to see him get away on you.....

You will love having a flight suit and so will he....congrats.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Thanks! I'm definately going to wait til I'm sure it's fitting properly before he goes outside in it. :)

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
Even after slowly introducing the flight suit to my eclectus, she still hates the thing. I was a bit disappointed, because they are pretty cute and quite practical.

But in the end, I just felt that it was unnecessary stress on her.

We'll just have to continue bringing antibacterial wipes wherever we go.

:p

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
could you post a video of putting the suit on river? Lucy loves playing with hers... and I can get it over one foot and then she starts turning into a biting squiggle worm and it doesn't work out so well for mommy... hahaha

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
DO NOT TAKE YOUR PARROT OUTSIDE WITH ONE OF THESE ON!!!! The velcro is not as strong as you may think. Ida's teather came right off when she spooked and she flew away. I am lucky to have her back. They make great diapers, but I will never trust one for outside use again.

Just a quick FYI when I seen this thread come back up.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
could you post a video of putting the suit on river? Lucy loves playing with hers... and I can get it over one foot and then she starts turning into a biting squiggle worm and it doesn't work out so well for mommy... hahaha

I got it on him a couple times, but he has since decided he absolutely hates it and wants nothing to do with it! I have gone back steps, and now am just sitting it near him when I have him out in my lap. I give him rewards (he looooves pecans) when he touches it, or allows me to lightly touch it to him. I don't know if he's ever going to like the idea of me putting it on him, and after Abzeez's scare, I think I may switch to trying a harness anyways.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I've ben considering a harness for lucy. I got the suit on her twice today by toweling her and moving her around so it'd be easy, i think the small is too big and i have one the next size down and it's too small... so i'm not really sure which one to use

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
The paper that my suit came with says medium for quakers.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Since I take my birds outside all the time I use the harnesses. I only get the harnesses with the metal claps and not the ones with the plastic fastener because of their beaks. They can destroy the plastic one in one chomp.

I have never used the flighsuit because my birds are potty trained. Diego was what I call a "nervous pooper" so I was going to get him one but he passed on in June.

I prefer the harness for taking outside. I will get one for my Red Fronted Macaw I might just use Joaquin's old harness instead if it fits but since I am keeping my macaw flighted he WILL wear this when outside.

Noblemacaw

Most Reactions