FlightSuit for Baby Sun??

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus 3yo (Jewel), Green Cheek Conure 3yo (Charlie), Congo African Grey 5yo (Baby Girl), White Capped Pionus 1yo (Leo), Blue Fronted Amazon 4yo (Zora)
Hi all,

Our baby Sun (pretty sure his/her name will be Harley) will finally be coming home in a couple weeks. I would like to attempt the FlightSuit at a young age, so (s)he gets used to it. But what size would I go with?? Harley will be about 12 weeks old when (s)he comes home. (OMG we are going to find out the gender as well, this "(s)he" thing is enough to drive me mad.)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sun Conures weigh anywhere from 100-130g. What kind of flight suit do you have in mind?

If you'd go with the Aviator Harness (AWESOME product), then you'd get EITHER the Petite size Aviator Harness, which is recommended for birds weighing between 75 and 110 grams, such as larger Parakeets who weigh at least 75 grams, smaller Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels, and smaller Conures such as Green cheeks and Brown Throats, OR the Extra small size Aviator Harness is recommended for bird weighing between 110 and 190 grams such as Quakers, Senegals, Doves, medium sized parakeets such as Indian Ringnecks and Port Linclons; Rainbow Lories, Rosellas, Noble Macaws, large size Conures such as Suns, Jendays Nandays, and Blue Crowns; and Caiques.

A scale would be needed to find out the exact weight of your bird. :)

OP
VICTORYCC124

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus 3yo (Jewel), Green Cheek Conure 3yo (Charlie), Congo African Grey 5yo (Baby Girl), White Capped Pionus 1yo (Leo), Blue Fronted Amazon 4yo (Zora)
I was looking at this one...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028XQGU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BJBMU3VGIK4]Amazon.com : Medium FlightSuit (Bird Diaper) w/Lanyard plus Flightliners : Pet Floor Protection Trays : Pet Supplies[/ame]
What do you think of it??

WhirlyBirdy

Dec 15, 2013
australia
Parrots
Sun conure and Yellow sided green cheek
You are better off toilet training your bird and getting an aviator, as they A have better leads, I mean really the bird might be able to fly 1-2m before getting whiplash from the lead and B the can escape from flight suits way easier, also they chew on the Velcro and the little bits if swallowed would easily perforated their intestines.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I see the draw of the flight suits, and have a friend who uses then, but she has some problems with the cockatiel because the leash for that size bird is, no joke, a lanyard. An open one. It gets caught on everything and is not long enough to allow the bird to safely land on the ground when she gets startled, even with a 5 year old holding the leash. As a result she is left dangling in the air and thrashing! Anyway, potty training is a better rout in my opinion. Also, an Aviator is FAR FAR FAR SAFER and easier to get on a bird, and comes with an extensive DVD on how to train your bird to wear it so they dont hate it. My conure Flick wears one. Sorry I dont know what size flight suit your bird will wear. Best of luck with your new friend!

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I have a flightsuit for my gcc conure and I've had them for previous birds as well. Even young ones need to get used to it. They will chew on it at first, but they'll get over that.

The leashes come in a lot of lengths, not just the lanyard. The lanyard is for shoulder birds. There are long ones for flighted birds and 'flighty' birds.

I don't really use mine as an indoor 'diaper' but I do like being able to take birds in public and not having to worry about poo on my shirt. Be patient and do short train times at first. Phlox is still getting used to hers right now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts