Flu hacks?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You could try sugar free cough drops-- I like richola (sp?) lemon-mint (sugar-free is important because you can suck on them at night and then you aren't providing bacteria with sugary food/rotting your teeth simultaneously lol)
Have you tried propping up your bed so that you are sleeping on an incline? That might help with the coughing, depending on whether there is any post-nasal drip.

Good luck!!! I had some sort of CRAZY night cough for about 7 days and it was so weird because that was my only symptom other than feeling tired/worn-down/foggy, but it was to the point of vomiting or almost vomiting for hours on end. I got a flu shot though, so part of me wonders if what I had was actually a milder version of the flu (it was very strange because the cough was hardly an issue during the day, at least in comparison). I feel you on the sleep thing ...

PS: you might consider taking a daily probiotic yourself--that helps with immunity too. You know how I like probiotics lol :)

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks! Yep coughing till I puke, you probably did have milder form...

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Ehm, just to make something clear-- its probably a language-thingy,( I am not fluent on every expression in the book, sorry) but when you talk about strep-troat do you really mean the one with puss-filled pustules in the very red throat and maybe a fever?
(a true streptococcal infection)
Because then you might be better off seeing a doctor.
Or do you guys just mean "a rather sore throat"?

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Strep saw doctor had strep test done, still on the antibiotics.. doc said they were seeing a bunch of strep cases, either caught the flu there....cuz next day has flu...I slept last night , but still struggling..

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Autch, the truely serious one then... so sorry for you.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks, I m thinking might have to back to doc...

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi noodles, yes git two hours, hacked coughing woke myself, took some otc stuff slept about 3 more hours so best yet in the last several days. I got the ricola cough drops, but have to use cough supresant when gets real bad.. anyway surely this will pass in a couple more days!!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I hope so...UGH....
I had some very unpleasant side-effects of coughing in the middle of the night (aside from sleep loss)...I ended up sleeping with cough drops in my mouth (which seemed less dangerous than aspirating other fluids lol!)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think I've turned the corner! Got 6.5 hours of sleep only wake myself with coughing twice! I feel so rested!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
w0000000t, so glad to hear that! :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I'm SOOOO glad to hear it!!

More sleep and less coughing please! Keep getting well.

I wish I could help. :/

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm still sick!!! Ugh I have no voice, coughing, feeling blue....and not the Neptune Blue kind.. headed to doc tomorrow guess is is pneumonia.. am I at week three?? I don't even know. I took zinc, I took vit C, I took musinex, took zicam, NyQuil, there flu, ate garlic, ate chicken soup and spicy soup, tried honey, and every kind if yes... I've tried all the flu hacks and all the advice you gave!!!! ( Feeling like a poor little cry baby) at least you all gave me good books to read!

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
When I had pneumonia it took MONTHS to go away. :( Sounds like that's what you've got. Seeing the doctor is definitely a good idea.

Good luck and get well!

Oates

Jan 9, 2019
Just lis of water, rest and allowing my immune system to do what it evolved to do

I caught flu when I was in China once, and such an approach was considered as the only treatment there. I was surprised, but it worked, haven't used any flu meds since.
Think that only proper nutrition affects your immunity, that's all

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So funny to see this today! I'm still fighting the pneumonia.......yes still....
I spoken with several people who's flu this year turned to pneumonia.. so stay safe out there as the flu season is Still amping up.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When I had pneumonia it took MONTHS to go away. :( Sounds like that's what you've got. Seeing the doctor is definitely a good idea.

Good luck and get well!

Thanks , yes it is , what two months now? Ugh tired of coughing..

Most Reactions

Latest posts