Flying to pick a fight.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Sigh. I haven't been able to figure out how to fix a problem. Trixie, my GCC (about 2 yrs old) is extremely jealous of Sunny our 14 week old Sun Conure (which I fully expected). They have separate cages, but we really only have one room which is bird safe and in which the human family spends the most time in. Therefore, the parrots are there but at opposite ends of this large room.

We've tried taking Trixie out first and spending time with her before placing her back in her cage and taking out Sunny. We've tried taking them out at the same time, but having one person holding Sunny while Trixie is out and under the supervision of another person. Unfortunately, under either situation, Trixie either flies to Sunny's cage to pick a fight or flies to the person holding Sunny to pick a fight. Trixie is fully flighted.

We don't want either bird to get injured or deprived of time out of the cage. Any ideas? :(

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Sometimes what you see as a fight is an attempt to determine the "pecking order". It needs to be done between the 2. I would say to stand back at the ready (with a rolled newspaper to put between the 2 if it becomes too heated), and above all they need to meet in a neutral place. Not on ones cage or human.

If regardless of attempt, Trixie keeps latching onto Sunny or is obviously abusing the baby, I would trim her flight feather. However, because of the size difference, I would do a light trim so that she can fly off quickly if needed (no more than the 4 outer most feathers).

Also, if these "meeting" were to be in the evening in a low light, Trixie should not be so aggressive as they can't really see in low light to fly.

OP
faeryphoebe1

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Sometimes what you see as a fight is an attempt to determine the "pecking order". It needs to be done between the 2. I would say to stand back at the ready (with a rolled newspaper to put between the 2 if it becomes too heated), and above all they need to meet in a neutral place. Not on ones cage or human.

If regardless of attempt, Trixie keeps latching onto Sunny or is obviously abusing the baby, I would trim her flight feather. However, because of the size difference, I would do a light trim so that she can fly off quickly if needed (no more than the 4 outer most feathers).

Also, if these "meeting" were to be in the evening in a low light, Trixie should not be so aggressive as they can't really see in low light to fly.

Thank you, Echo. We love them both so much and don't want to make either of them feel neglected of attention or like they're playing 2nd fiddle to the other bird.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I agree with Echo although I had a chuckle at first when I read rolled up newspaper and my mind wandered. Silly me! I think having it at the ready to place between the two if need be sounds like a safe idea. ;)

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
LOL! My mind wandered, too!

Most Reactions

Latest posts