Feathers for DNA sexing

Bandit

Mar 9, 2013
Bathurst, Australia
Parrots
1 normal grey cockatiel, 1 green cheek conure
I've printed out the form and have the bag ready for the samples, now I just need to get them.

Where is the best place to take feathers from for DNA samples? The form asks for two feathers at 4-8cm. I only want to have to do this to him twice so I want to get it right, so where should I take them from?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
You need to take feathers from his chest! It is very easy to do as I did this with Codie a couple of Months ago.

I held him up, so his chest was level with my eyes, then I gave him a toy to keep him occupied and then quickly pulled a feather out. you need to pull quite hard, but do not worry, it does not hurt them:) I sent off 4 feathers.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
The other option you could do for DNA testing is thru a blood sample.
I've never done the feathers, I just felt it might be simpler to clip just the tip of the nail, and put a dab of blood on the sample card.
It's quite easy to do, but I do recommend you have someone help you.
If you choose to do it that way, just remember to have quick stop handy, you will need to apply it to stop the bleeding.(make sure he doesn't eat any, or try and chew his foot after) Some of birds don't even squawk, others scream even before you clip ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts