Flys like a Rock

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
A colorful rock but still. Actually the only time he appeared to attempt to fly is when he was spooked and both times it was a glide crash landing to the floor.

BB is suppose to be about 20 years old but who knows. Someone told me he looked younger but again who knows.

Anyway I am not sure he has ever flown . He will grab the cage bars or Play stand and flap his wings hard enough to make the ceiling fan turn > Saves on electric bill. Hey everyone has to pull there weight in my home lol jk . After doing this the poor fella appears to be worn out.

Point of my thread is there anyway to help him learn to fly ? Also I live in a small home so not even sure this is a good idea.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Keep encouraging him to get the ceiling fan going. It will
1) Continue to lower your electric bill
2) Strengthen his muscles he needs to actually fly

All jokes aside, the more he does the vigorous 'flap flapping', the more likely he'll one day surprise you by using his wings without holding on to something. :D

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Will do . Thanks. I thought so. I was speaking with a co-worker about it . No she does not have any Birds and with good reason. She told me to hold him under his tummy and launch him like a paper airplane . THIS IS A JOKE NEVER THROW A BIRD

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Will do . Thanks. I thought so. I was speaking with a co-worker about it . No she does not have any Birds and with good reason. She told me to hold him under his tummy and launch him like a paper airplane .

UMMMM... NO! Not unless he's fully flighted, and likes to play "catch." (Where he's the ball. A few do... but not many!)

If he has the glide ratio of a rock, and you throw him, (1) he could get injured, and (2) you could have serious trust issues.

ENCOURAGE THE FLAPPING. DON'T THROW HIM ACROSS THE ROOM.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Will do . Thanks. I thought so. I was speaking with a co-worker about it . No she does not have any Birds and with good reason. She told me to hold him under his tummy and launch him like a paper airplane .

UMMMM... NO! Not unless he's fully flighted, and likes to play "catch." (Where he's the ball. A few do... but not many!)

If he has the glide ratio of a rock, and you throw him, (1) he could get injured, and (2) you could have serious trust issues.

ENCOURAGE THE FLAPPING. DON'T THROW HIM ACROSS THE ROOM.

LOL Now Mark you know I would never throw BB LOL

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
will do . Thanks. I thought so. I was speaking with a co-worker about it . No she does not have any birds and with good reason. She told me to hold him under his tummy and launch him like a paper airplane .

what you can do is hold him under his tummy, and run around the room with him pretending to fly... Just to get him flapping...

And perhaps one of these days he'll just take off on you...

(hopefully not outside when it happens.)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually, if you're "throwing" a bird to another person - (i.e. during recall exercises, where you're "playing catch" ) you throw them underhand, like a softball pitcher, and you don't so much "throw" them, as you just gently swing your arm with the bird perched on your hand, and the bird flies off on his own... to the other person.

And he gets praise, and rewards, and treats, and attention... etc.

YOU NEVER ACTUALLY THROW THE BIRD! But this actually IS a real thing... (even though we were joking.)

Once you can harness train him, I'd work on fly back to me with a leash.

For now, just do stuff that strengthens his wings, and gets him flapping.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Serious it was a joke from a person that does not have a bird. I would not throw him lmao

I NEVER THOUGHT YOU WOULD....

However, someone else reading this MIGHT GET THE BRIGHT IDEA...

I READ IT IN A BIRD FORUM POST... YOU JUST LAUNCH THEM LIKE A PAPER AIRPLANE AND THEY FLY.

Whooops... guess I didn't read that post very carefully. :11:

:D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And you can ACTUALLY teach them to "play catch" as I described. And that's actually a useful way of getting perch potatoes some exercise. IF they tolerate it. And that's a big IF...

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
LOL True.
I will work on his wings this weekend. He mostly does it when at the window . Wind blowing on him.
I did just watch a video where the person would hold there bird in there hand and got up and down . Bird seemed to like it flapping like crazy

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I always feel a little bad for birds that didn't get the chance to fully fledge as a youngster. I have no problem with wing clipping, but I just feel like they should get a chance to learn. It feels sort of like having to learn to ride a bike as a grown up--it's so much harder when you're not a kid anymore! But I'm sure BB will get there someday!

Also, that person who said to just throw him sounds like the same kind of person who says to toss a little kid in a pool to teach them to swim.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I do the "human swing" trick. But my birds all know this one.

They perch on my hand, and I swing them upside down and then back up over my head, and they flap the entire time.

IF YOUR BIRD DOESN'T KNOW THIS ONE, HE MIGHT GET SCARED AND LATCH ON TO YOUR HAND FOR DEAR LIFE HIS BEAK... so know your bird before trying this one.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I always feel a little bad for birds that didn't get the chance to fully fledge as a youngster. I have no problem with wing clipping, but I just feel like they should get a chance to learn. It feels sort of like having to learn to ride a bike as a grown up--it's so much harder when you're not a kid anymore! But I'm sure BB will get there someday!

Also, that person who said to just throw him sounds like the same kind of person who says to toss a little kid in a pool to teach them to swim.

Read the full thread please. IT WAS A JOKE

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I do the "human swing" trick. But my birds all know this one.

They perch on my hand, and I swing them upside down and then back up over my head, and they flap the entire time.

IF YOUR BIRD DOESN'T KNOW THIS ONE, HE MIGHT GET SCARED AND LATCH ON TO YOUR HAND FOR DEAR LIFE HIS BEAK... so know your bird before trying this one.

Yeah Sounds fun. Don't think BB or I am ready to try that one yet lol

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
i always feel a little bad for birds that didn't get the chance to fully fledge as a youngster. I have no problem with wing clipping, but i just feel like they should get a chance to learn. It feels sort of like having to learn to ride a bike as a grown up--it's so much harder when you're not a kid anymore! But i'm sure bb will get there someday!

also, that person who said to just throw him sounds like the same kind of person who says to toss a little kid in a pool to teach them to swim.

read the full thread please. It was a joke

Actually, it was the twenty meter high dive, in my case... And believe it or not, it worked... :d I was two at the time... AND ACTUALLY, I TOSSED MYSELF IN. (It just looked like so much fun when that other guy did it...)

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sling shot attempt? (If anyone thinks I'm serious.... :54:)

I thought about that, but how do you keep the rubber band from slipping off his butt, and getting tangled in his feet? I guess you can rig up some sort of vest with a little hook thing on it. That might work. Put a hook on a harness?!

You really need a catapult perch for this one. Set him down on it, and then just pull the lever... gives him extra altitude too! :32:

Last edited:

Most Reactions