Food for thought.....really???

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Hi to all:

Below is some information I came across while looking up something else.
This was quoted from a vet on another web site.

This was a bit of a surprise to me, as I have been feeding my birds spinach now mind you I only feed them spinach once a week....maybe.
As for broccoli cauliflower, & kale, I usually feed that to them on a daily basis, and alternate the days with other good foods as well.

I supplement my birds with liquid iodine daily, so now I'm not suppose to feed them broccoli,cauliflower or kale?
has anyone heard of this, or know if this is accurate??:confused:
Below are the two quotes:

“spinach and beet greens contain oxalate’s. These bind calcium and decrease the amount of calcium available to the bird. Spinach and beet greens should be fed less frequently and in smaller amounts than other dark, leafy grens. If feeding spinach or beet greens, select Only One, do Not feed both together.

“Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and brussle sprouts are cruciferous vegetables.[/i] These should only be fed in small amounts or Not At All. Cruciferous vegitables bind with iodine and may lead to a serious disorder of the thyroid gland called “goiter.”

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
the first is true. you can feed spinich and it is healthy. but just not to much. as long as you dont feed it to much you are fine. i have never heard about that second part. i am interested because cooper loves his broccoli.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
me too, I never thought broccoli and iodine would clash together.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Broccoli in humans at least binds with the iodine and reduces absorption into the bloodstream. The thyroid requires iodine for normal metabolic functioning so feed them broccoli on a few days, but talk to your vet maybe just over the phone to save money, about the proper level for their dietary intake.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I got told to feed broccoli to increased Nimbus' calcium levels. Guess I have a reason now not to eat broccoli since my thyroid is stuffed, yay no broccoli! But if someone can find out more about the second statement I'd like to know!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Does steaming the veggies effect it at all? I remember reading that steamed kale is healthier than raw kale but I didn't know the reason.

I was also told to feed Rosie brocoli(and all dark leafy greens) to help her calcium.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
On the one hand leafy greens is very good for calcium,and Vit. A. but according to the statements I came across, it interferes with the absorption of iodine....so what now??

I'm going to look into this a little further, if anyone finds out anything else,would you kindly post your findings?

Here is some info I found on a web site that may be of interest:

Cruciferous Vegetables, Goitrogens and Iodine
Goitrogens are chemicals found in cruciferous vegetables that can inhibit the function of your thyroid gland, mainly by interfering with the absorption of iodine from foods. Raw cruciferous vegetables are the primary source of goitrogens; the heat from cooking destroys most goitrogens. Cruciferous vegetables include cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, horseradish, kale, radishes and turnips, as well as other members of the genus Brassica.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/472937-iodine-deficiency-crucifureous-vegetables/#ixzz2KeI9fXxT

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Here is a list of most of Cruciferous Vegetables:

Arugula
Bok choy
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chinese cabbage
Collard greens
Daikon radish
Horseradish
Kale
Kohlrabi
Land cress
Mustard greens
Radish
Rutabaga
Shepherd's purse
Turnip
Watercress

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
OK what I found is that it is the oxalic acid in the veggies that blocks the absorption of calcium. But from what I understand only spinach, chard and beet greens are high enough in this acid to affect anything, other greens should be fine? That's how I read it. It's not about iodine, but something interesting none the less?

Bird Nutrition - Keeping your pet healthy through good nutrition
"Even though most dark leafy greens are rich in calcium, broccoli, rapini, turnip greens, collard greens and mustard greens are better sources than spinach, chard and beet greens because of the high oxalic acid content that blocks absorption of the calcium in spinach, chard, and beet greens"

This is from Wikipedia (I know!)
Cruciferous vegetables can potentially be goitrogenic (inducing goiter formation). They contain enzymes that interfere with the formation of thyroid hormone in people with iodine deficiency.[2][3] Cooking for 30 minutes significantly reduces the amount of goitrogens and nitriles. At high intake of crucifers, the goitrogens inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone and also the transfer of iodine into milk by the mammary gland.[4]

Even thought it's wikipedia, I read a few other articles and they support it.

Last edit I swear - it was saying thought that the effects were more pronounced in people that already had low levels of iodine, so I don't think it would be too great a problem unless you were force feeding large amounts, we all know how much broccoli just gets shredded for fun!

Last edited:

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I think the general consensus is to feed a balanced diet. Im sure your bird is fine if his/her diet isnt largely made up of one type of veggie. Feed leafy greens here and there in moderate amounts, and leave it out in place of something else some days.

Most Reactions