Food mix and storing.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Hi. The place we buy all Hahnna's food from is about an 1.5 hours from us so we buy quite a bit of stuff when we go. I usually nix all her stuff together, ultimate blend, dried fruits and veggie mixes as well as pellets and nuts etc. then my husband usies a sealing bag system to store it in two pound bags tomstay fresh, then we put it in the fridge. Is this ok and ho ling should it last before we toss it? The bag system we use, sucks the air out and seals each package. This is Hahnna helping me get her food together. LOL. We also feed her fresh veggies and fruits, but I am having a tough time getting he to eat her fresh veggies. That is the other question I have. I never started her on a junk food diet, but she is sees our food and wants it. She loves mashed potatoes, French fries, pizza and if I would let her she would have her face in my can of soda. I try to offer her healthy veggies when I am eating but she drops them and runs for what I have. Any suggestions? Thanks. Elaine and Hahnna.

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
National Center for Home Food Preservation | UGA Publications
"The removal or reduction of oxygen in the storage environment is indeed helpful for extending the storage quality of non-perishable dry foods such as dried nuts or crackers. Products like this are low enough in moisture that bacterial growth is prevented." How much moisture in the fruit? Is it well dry? If so, I think it should keep for ages. Otherwise, I'd probably sort it as per moisture content instead of mixing the whole lot. Dry seed should be fine.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Who's Ho Ling? :eek:

Ahhh trouble with the kid eating his fruits and vegies - a pretty common problem. First thing I would say is to be patient and keep trying, and when you get tired, keep trying some more - make them available. Another thing I've noticed with my birds is that presentation can be everything. My birds are fully capable of eating a whole grape, for instance. But nope, they either throw it out or ignore it. OK - so I cut it in half - same thing, throw it over, or ignore it. But if I cut it up into little tiny pieces, they hog it up! So that's how I try everything, in different sizes and different forms, even different locations. Who can know the mind of the bird :p

Last edited:
OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
National Center for Home Food Preservation | UGA Publications
"The removal or reduction of oxygen in the storage environment is indeed helpful for extending the storage quality of non-perishable dry foods such as dried nuts or crackers. Products like this are low enough in moisture that bacterial growth is prevented." How much moisture in the fruit? Is it well dry? If so, I think it should keep for ages. Otherwise, I'd probably sort it as per moisture content instead of mixing the whole lot. Dry seed should be fine.

Thanks for the article. The fruits and veggies mixed in are dry just like the rest of the mix. No seed, just pellets:)

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Who's Ho Ling? :eek:

Ahhh trouble with the kid eating his fruits and vegies - a pretty common problem. First thing I would say is to be patient and keep trying, and when you get tired, keep trying some more - make them available. Another thing I've noticed with my birds is that presentation can be everything. My birds are fully capable of eating a whole grape, for instance. But nope, they either throw it out or ignore it. OK - so I cut it in half - same thing, throw it over, or ignore it. But if I cut it up into little tiny pieces, they hog it up! So that's how I try everything, in different sizes and different forms, even different locations. Who can know the mind of the bird :p

Thanks I will try it in different shapes. So funny we have given her everything since she came to us at seven weeks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts