Pretty Parrot Feed

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello
I am an Solomon Island Eclectus guy.
A friend says Pretty Bird Parrot feed is very very good.
My friend says she has been giving it to her ecky over the years and he is very healthy. I do not agree with her however as she says she fills his feed bowl with pretty bird parrot food and leaves it until the next day. She does not give fresh fruits or vegetables during the day and does not change his feed bowl until the next day. Sounds too easy and not good. Do you agree?
My friends ecky is 25 years young.
Does anyone know anything about Pretty Bird Parrot Food.
The reason I ask is because my wife and I would like to leave our Moses with someone for a bout a week. My wife prepares fresh fruit and vegetables every day in the Morning for Moses and he eats 4 times a day. During mid afternoon we give him a kabab with fresh fruit on the kabab.
Thank you and God Bless our fine feathered friends
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_163544.jpg
    IMG_20191029_163544.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Hello
I am an Solomon Island Eclectus guy.
A friend says Pretty Bird Parrot feed is very very good.
My friend says she has been giving it to her ecky over the years and he is very healthy. I do not agree with her however as she says she fills his feed bowl with pretty bird parrot food and leaves it until the next day. She does not give fresh fruits or vegetables during the day and does not change his feed bowl until the next day. Sounds too easy and not good. Do you agree?
My friends ecky is 25 years young.
Does anyone know anything about Pretty Bird Parrot Food.
The reason I ask is because my wife and I would like to leave our Moses with someone for a bout a week. My wife prepares fresh fruit and vegetables every day in the Morning for Moses and he eats 4 times a day. During mid afternoon we give him a kabab with fresh fruit on the kabab.
Thank you and God Bless our fine feathered friends
Larry azflcowboy
Pretty bird is one of the pellets I give my birds and they love it. I don't think it's the best but it does the job and my birds do well on it. I wouldn't give a bird a 100% pelleted diet ever so I don't agree with how your friend feeds her bird, but it clearly works to keep him alive and relatively healthy. If your bird eats it then it would be fine for a week, I do the same with mine when I have to leave them and they're alright with it.

I know someone who gives their dog a mostly low priced kibble diet and he's one of the most healthy dogs I've ever seen with absolutely no behaviour problems or issues. I walk him several time a week so I know him pretty well. My friends dog is overweight, reactive and has a lot of issues and they feed her top of the range food with plenty of healthy treats and enrichment, plus they have a dog trainer and yet she has nothing but problems. A lot of it really depends on the animal. Some owners have fed nothing but seeds and their birds have lived for ages, whereas others will do everything right and have their bird die young.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
If you search "pretty bird" there are some other threads here with info you may find useful. My Ona was weaned onto Pretty Bird. I took her off of it because of the artificial colors. Now she loves Harrison's.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Pretty bird is one of the pellets I give my birds and they love it. I don't think it's the best but it does the job and my birds do well on it. I wouldn't give a bird a 100% pelleted diet ever so I don't agree with how your friend feeds her bird, but it clearly works to keep him alive and relatively healthy. If your bird eats it then it would be fine for a week, I do the same with mine when I have to leave them and they're alright with it.

I know someone who gives their dog a mostly low priced kibble diet and he's one of the most healthy dogs I've ever seen with absolutely no behaviour problems or issues. I walk him several time a week so I know him pretty well. My friends dog is overweight, reactive and has a lot of issues and they feed her top of the range food with plenty of healthy treats and enrichment, plus they have a dog trainer and yet she has nothing but problems. A lot of it really depends on the animal. Some owners have fed nothing but seeds and their birds have lived for ages, whereas others will do everything right and have their bird die young.
Hello
Thank you for your reply.
You mentioned when you must leave with someone you feed pretty bird feed.
My guy loves Tops Pellets.
I do not know if it would be a good idea to put him on pretty bird feed if we leave him with my daughter for a week.
What do you think, i think maybe one pellet or the other but not both interchangeable?
thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_163544.jpg
    IMG_20191029_163544.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
No no no no no no no. This is about as bad as it comes for Ekkies. Artificial colors and supplemental vitamins/minerals, this is everything that makes for the worst possible diet for eclectus special dietary needs. But You’ve been at this just long enough I think you already know it if you knew to ask.

You’ve got him on the best pellet for him. What you might do is buy Goldenfeast Indonesian blend. I give this to Parker when we leave him at his boarding facility.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Hello
Thank you for your reply.
You mentioned when you must leave with someone you feed pretty bird feed.
My guy loves Tops Pellets.
I do not know if it would be a good idea to put him on pretty bird feed if we leave him with my daughter for a week.
What do you think, i think maybe one pellet or the other but not both interchangeable?
thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
Just as a heads up, tops is not the best pellet at all. There's another member on here whose vet has seen many problems in birds on tops pellets, and it's not a complete pellet either. It's lacking in some vitamins and too high in others.

I would second the advice to give the goldenfeast blend if you're wary about using the pellets. I don't have an ekkie so I don't know how bad pellets are for them.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I think someone needs to go over to the Solomon Islands, and observe Ekkie’s to see what they eat. My Ekkie doesn’t like fruits. Aside from a banana here or there, and possibly passion fruit I’ve gotten no where with him when it comes to fruit. He really seems to enjoy peppers, and some veggies. If I am ever doing anything with shrimp he will gobble that up tail and all. If he doesn’t like his food he will be tossing his bowl. By the way beets stain carpets badly for those who have parrots who toss their food bowls.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Just as a heads up, tops is not the best pellet at all. There's another member on here whose vet has seen many problems in birds on tops pellets, and it's not a complete pellet either. It's lacking in some vitamins and too high in others.

I would second the advice to give the goldenfeast blend if you're wary about using the pellets. I don't have an ekkie so I don't know how bad pellets are for them.

My friend, I strongly recommend doing more reading than writing on this topic. You certainly mean well, but Your lack of knowledge on the topic of the eclectus dietary requirements shows, and it’s dangerous for you to try advising someone on a topic when you lack the proper knowledge base.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I think someone needs to go over to the Solomon Islands, and observe Ekkie’s to see what they eat. My Ekkie doesn’t like fruits. Aside from a banana here or there, and possibly passion fruit I’ve gotten no where with him when it comes to fruit. He really seems to enjoy peppers, and some veggies. If I am ever doing anything with shrimp he will gobble that up tail and all. If he doesn’t like his food he will be tossing his bowl. By the way beets stain carpets badly for those who have parrots who toss their food bowls.
They have! Refer to my sticky on the dietary requirements, it links to a study not just of observed diet, but an overview of their physiology that clearly outlines what they were adapted to eat.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
No no no no no no no. This is about as bad as it comes for Ekkies. Artificial colors and supplemental vitamins/minerals, this is everything that makes for the worst possible diet for eclectus special dietary needs. But You’ve been at this just long enough I think you already know it if you knew to ask.

You’ve got him on the best pellet for him. What you might do is buy Goldenfeast Indonesian blend. I give this to Parker when we leave him at his boarding facility.
Hello
When you leave him at the boarding facility do you just leave the pellets?
thank you
Larry azflcowboy

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots

Hello
I looked at Goldenfeast on Amazon and my my it looked very good.
Any suggestions as i have used topps for a long time now and i have heard it was good for Solomon Island Eclectus.
Can you mix the pellets with the goldenfeast or alternate as i feed moses 4 times a day (8am 12pm,4pm and then 6pm for the night
thank you

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
My friend, I strongly recommend doing more reading than writing on this topic. You certainly mean well, but Your lack of knowledge on the topic of the eclectus dietary requirements shows, and it’s dangerous for you to try advising someone on a topic when you lack the proper knowledge base.
Hello
Thank you for the strong good advice.
I have been reading for the past 3 years on Solomon Island Eclectus and we have Moses on a good daily diet of vegetables and fruits.
I stopped the zupreen pellets and general word of mouth recomended Topps pellets. I hear now Goldenfeast is the best for eckies.
So there are many conflicting views so i evaluate and do what i feel is the best.
I just lost my service dog of 13 years and best buddy to my ecky.
We need to go on vacation for a week and I wish to have the best diet for our ecky Moses to leave with a daughter who will Love and Care for Moses.
so again thank you for your advice
Larry

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
They have! Refer to my sticky on the dietary requirements, it links to a study not just of observed diet, but an overview of their physiology that clearly outlines what they were adapted to eat.
I can concur that a diet is important for Ekkie’s. I adopted one who already had medical issues prior to me. He seems to be sensitive to his diet (toe tapping, wing flipping, and to me it doesn’t appear voluntary). He was falling off perches especially when I first brought him home. I read through the sticky there is a lot of good information on there. Thank you for being so passionate about Ekkie’s ❤️❤️❤️

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Hello
Any suggestions as i have used topps for a long time now and i have heard it was good for Solomon Island Eclectus.
Can you mix the pellets with the goldenfeast or alternate as i feed moses 4 times a day (8am 12pm,4pm and then 6pm for the night
thank you
I don't think I should give you any advice as I have no experience with ekkies, I was only trying to help but I don't think I should

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I don't think I should give you any advice as I have no experience with ekkies, I was only trying to help but I don't think I should
So I want to apologize for the tenor of my message.

The message itself is important and I hope you take it with you beyond this thread: its never a good idea for the blind to lead the blind, no matter how well meaning. I've been stung by this (advising when I shouldn't have), and it was a valuable life lesson. And when lives are on the line, its important to learn "You don't know what you don't know, so listen more than you talk until you've experienced it yourself...hopefully multiple times"; to recognize when you might be blind leading the blind, and temper yourself.

It boils down to this: there is already so much misinformation out there on this misunderstood species (which is not like other parrots), that some of what you were saying merely added fuel to that fire that we are trying to extinguish.

However, the way I said it was more abrupt than I wanted to be, owning to it being 3am and I was both dead exhausted and unable to sleep. So I apologize of a certain lack of tact in my approach.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Hello
thank you
Yep you can mix the pellets with anything you like!

Heres what I'll say on the pellets question: you've been advised many times here that TOPs is definitely the best pellet for your bird if you intend to feed pellets, which you took to heart and implemented. Nothing has changed :)

I might recommend you cut the feedings down to twice a day, with intermittent snacks.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Hello
Thank you for the strong good advice.
I have been reading for the past 3 years on Solomon Island Eclectus and we have Moses on a good daily diet of vegetables and fruits.
I stopped the zupreen pellets and general word of mouth recomended Topps pellets. I hear now Goldenfeast is the best for eckies.
So there are many conflicting views so i evaluate and do what i feel is the best.
I just lost my service dog of 13 years and best buddy to my ecky.
We need to go on vacation for a week and I wish to have the best diet for our ecky Moses to leave with a daughter who will Love and Care for Moses.
so again thank you for your advice
Larry

I'm so sorry for your loss. I definitely know that pain: I had a moment just yesterday over a dog we lost a year and a half ago. That pain never really goes away.

To be clear in case you misunderstood, my "strong advice" wasn't aimed at you. I know you're doing everything you can for Moses. That was to Greenhouseparrot, whom I quoted.

So to clarify, nobody said goldenfeast is "BEST" for ekkies, you misunderstand. I recommended it as a alternative for while you're gone to make feeding easier. I use it when I'm not in a position to feed Parker his usual healthful meals. I just personally prefer to keep the feedings as easy as possible for whomever is watching him, to make the feeding less obtrusive even if i'm paying a professional. This goldenfeast can be fed dry or cooked (I mixed some with his chop just two nights ago), so its great for when I have to leave him at the boarders. It has the lowest fat/carb/protein content of the goldenfeast line (and indeed many other dry mixes I've found), making it perfect for avoiding hormonal behavior.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
You can comment on Nico the Ekkie whenever you want. He’s a parrot just like any of the other ones. I would say he is just sensitive when it comes to his diet. For an example if I feed him nutri-berries daily he will start toe tapping within 4-7 days. He just seems so sensitive diet wise. Loud noises also affect Nico a lot. If my nieces, and nephews are over & they are screaming. Nico will just start ripping out feathers. He seems to get overstimulated. I compare him to a toucan. I myself don’t advocate for either to be in captivity. They are just a little different, but they are still a parrot. They have behavioral issues that you can easily help with.

Last edited:
OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
So I want to apologize for the tenor of my message.

The message itself is important and I hope you take it with you beyond this thread: its never a good idea for the blind to lead the blind, no matter how well meaning. I've been stung by this (advising when I shouldn't have), and it was a valuable life lesson. And when lives are on the line, its important to learn "You don't know what you don't know, so listen more than you talk until you've experienced it yourself...hopefully multiple times"; to recognize when you might be blind leading the blind, and temper yourself.

It boils down to this: there is already so much misinformation out there on this misunderstood species (which is not like other parrots), that some of what you were saying merely added fuel to that fire that we are trying to extinguish.

However, the way I said it was more abrupt than I wanted to be, owning to it being 3am and I was both dead exhausted and unable to sleep. So I apologize of a certain lack of tact in my approach.
Hello
Thank you for your reply and i know what it is like not being able to sleep, i was up at 12:30am and again at 4:30am
You mentioned the "We" trying to extinguish fires....Who is the "We" ?
I am asking questions and looking for persons advice or suggestions.
I listened to all comments and make my own decision. Right now Moses our Solomon Island Eclectus is getting godr blood test results, he is happy, very talkative (although he misses very much his buddy since he was a baby for the past 4 years who just passed away (my service dog a 13 year old german shepherd) and Mosses often calls "Where's my Duchy" "Dutchy,Duchy"
So again thank you for your reply and you are correct there is much miss information (political correctness) out there and everyone must make their own decision and work with the vet if they trust that vet (in my area of north central florida not many avian vets:( got to go to orlando,tampa,south florida)
Thank you
Larry

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I'm so sorry for your loss. I definitely know that pain: I had a moment just yesterday over a dog we lost a year and a half ago. That pain never really goes away.

To be clear in case you misunderstood, my "strong advice" wasn't aimed at you. I know you're doing everything you can for Moses. That was to Greenhouseparrot, whom I quoted.

So to clarify, nobody said goldenfeast is "BEST" for ekkies, you misunderstand. I recommended it as a alternative for while you're gone to make feeding easier. I use it when I'm not in a position to feed Parker his usual healthful meals. I just personally prefer to keep the feedings as easy as possible for whomever is watching him, to make the feeding less obtrusive even if i'm paying a professional. This goldenfeast can be fed dry or cooked (I mixed some with his chop just two nights ago), so its great for when I have to leave him at the boarders. It has the lowest fat/carb/protein content of the goldenfeast line (and indeed many other dry mixes I've found), making it perfect for avoiding hormonal behavior.
Hello
I thank you and that is what i was looking for advice if i need to leave Moses for 1 week.
Right now Moses has fresh vegetables and fruits. Tops pellets is always in his feed dish when he is out in his day time cage. He likes to eat some tops while we are preparing his fruits and vegetables in the morning and then in the evening he often likes to munch on some tops pellets.
His lab results and annual examination have always been good so we are just thinking what to do if we go on a cruise for a week and leave him with my daughters.
I am thinking of trying the Goldenfeast and maybe have it available with the Tops, and remove the vegetables and fruits if he is staying at a different home when we are out of town for a week. I even saw a Goldenfeast Austraila, but did not read all the info on that product, i did not see it on Amazon though only another website.
thanks again and yes i miss my Duchess sh is the 3rd service dog i had since coming home from vietna and i do not think i can do it again. The VA is going to make Moses my service companion now.
thank you and God Bless
Larrry azflcowboy

Most Reactions

Latest posts