Food Mix question

JanMarie

Jan 20, 2014
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Eclectus, Congo African Grey
Hi...I have a rehome male Eclectus named Oliver he is 13 years old. He's not a fan of veggies but I keep serving them to him and he will eat~but not with enthusiasm his TOPS pellets and organic sprouts I grow. Is there a mix that anyone know of a ready made mix for in between feedings? I do serve fruit a couple times a week and eggs and nuts...just wondering if there is something already a good mix for Ekkies that is healthy you all can recommend!

Thanks!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hi, JanMarie! There's a really good mix that I've incorporated into my eclectus' diet called Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer. It has a great mix of ingredients, including a lot of the grains, beans and peas that are sometimes overlooked when we're focusing on the fruits and veggies. Look it up on their site for an exact listing of their ingredients. You'll definitely want to pick some up.

Oh, and Bixby (my eclectus) absolutely LOVES it!

Of course, as the name implies, it must be soaked and simmered. But you can prepare some and then either save enough for around a week in the fridge, or make enough for much longer and freeze it. Definitely worth the prep time, IMHO. Hope that helps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts