Food Question

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I know seeds/nuts aren't healthy for Quakers because they're high in fat, so I'm curious what you feed yours everyday. Are fruits/vegetables ONLY enough for them?

What about pellets too? I've read good/bad things so I'm a little confused how much of their diet per day should be fruits/vegetables and how many pellets.

Our of all the seeds/nuts, which ones would be considered the "healthiest" to use as an occasional treat? I read sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds are a big no no.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
pellets should be most of the diet. i feed cooper roudybush pellets. some people use zupreem and harrisons. those are probably the three best. i keep a bowl of fresh pellets in coopers cage at all times. give them different fruits and veggies every day(make sure they are safe ones). the do need seeds and nuts just limit how much you give.

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
Organic or natural pellets should be offered daily, while also giving a bowl of fresh fruits and veggies.

Pellets are balanced in vitamins and nutrition with low fat, unlike seeds and nuts.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Pellets are great, they fill in any nutritional gaps. Many pellet companies say their pellets shouldn't be supplement, or only give fresh foods as treats but ideally you would want 50% healthy VARIED foods and 50% pellets. With the fresh food you are still trying to make a complete diet, don't just feed the same salad everyday. You want to find the right balance of veggies, fruits, grains, beans, eggs, and even meat. I use a chop-mix recipe, this is a great varied food that I can feed everyday, or safe for when I don't have as much time, the produce selection is terrible.

Last edited:

themeindzeye

Feb 19, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
Quakers:
Murray and Miles
Cockatiels:
Pistachio and Rodanne
I started Murray out on Harrison's when I first got him because he was losing all his feathers (I got him from a lady who was letting him live in a cockroach-infested cage where he was left in the back room and ignored for three years). After a full year of Harrison's, I've been able to switch to LaFeber pellets and he and his new buddy Miles are both so shiny now! Murray's ears aren't even naked anymore, and I thought those feathers were never coming back. They also occasionally get a whole apple, no seeds (keeps 'em busy for days) and papaya treats. Murray's favorite is bread, though, so I will give him a little piece every few days or so. He will fluff up and savor it with his little eyes half-closed. :) He and Miles also love carrots and brocolli but I can't get them to eat any other veggies yet. *lol*

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Thanks for all the information! I'm glad I asked. I'll keep this all on hand when it's time :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts