Food questions...

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Ok bird lovers, I really feel like I’m in over my head here. We visited our soon to new budgie and asked about what they are eating in the store. Lots of veggies, cut up every morning, plus a seed mix and a pellet. Great, so now I know what he’s eating. But I have no clue if this is even a decent option for long term diet. I tried to attach pictures of the baby, he’s not actually a baby parakeet, he’s almost 2, and pics of food. Not sure if they will come through. Ignore the cat, that’s Oreo, my incredibly dog like feline.

View attachment 23310View attachment 23309View attachment 23308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I should also mention that he came from a breeder to the store recently. He was being saved as breeding stock but didn’t quite “perform” with the ladies.

Also, he is coming home 12/13 or 12/14. I figure this will give him time to adjust to the house before Christmas break when the kids will be home for way to many day in a row.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
BEAUTIFUL BIRD!!

You always want to start off with their current diet. I am not sure about the Sunburst mix long-term. I know they do eat seeds more than some birds but sunflower seeds are like crack so if you can, I would look for a seed mix with less filler (avoiding corn, sunflower seeds, fruit chunks (because he is a parakeet) and peanuts---because they can harbor a fungus). If your bird is eating the pellets, make sure the seeds aren't fortified, as you could easily overdo the vitamins.

Zupreme isn't bad, but it isn't great (it's still considered a solid pellet--just not IDEAL). My bird is picky so its what she eats, but it has added sugar and colors (so it is kind of like the Flintstones vitamin of the pellet world--- long-term, you may look at something more natural like Tops or Harrisons)...But--Zupreem is considered reputable..Granted, I don't personally own a parakeet currently. I do know they can handle less sugar than a larger bird (and they still need to be careful).

Daily veg=important but very little fruit. One grape to a parakeet is like 300 to a human (or something like that lol).

No avocado, chocolate, xylitol, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee (even decaf), no rhubarb, tomato, mushroom...avoid dairy unless extreme moderation is used (lactose intolerant). Avoid salt, sugar and preservatives...garlic, onions, leeks, chives, shallots etc =all bad for birds. When cutting up a fruit (say, apples) cut far from the seeds--same goes for pits. Parsley is controversial in some circles...You don't want to overdo spinach or dark greens and be careful with too much vitamin C--- it can lead to iron storage syndrome (for my cockatoo, vet said 1-2 Cutie slices per week, but not more).
No carbonation, no fortified human foods (e.g., most cereals, some pasta, some juices etc). No honey--especially raw (not just because of the sugar, but also due to botulism risk).
NO SHARING FOOD W/HUMAN SPIT IN IT--- eating off forks that have been licked or plates with double-dipping poses a hazard to your bird (despite the fact that a lot of people do this).

Your cat's saliva and bacteria in his nails/poop pose a huge threat--- even a playful swat can infect a bird with a bacteria that they carry and it is bad. The injury is often less serious than the infection that follows, so I would keep them FAR apart, even if he is the sweetest cat ever.

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
BEAUTIFUL BIRD!!

You always want to start off with their current diet. I am not sure about the Sunburst mix long-term. I know they do eat seeds more than some birds but sunflower seeds are like crack so if you can, I would look for a seed mix with less filler (avoiding corn, sunflower seeds, fruit chunks (because he is a parakeet) and peanuts---because they can harbor a fungus). If your bird is eating the pellets, make sure the seeds aren't fortified, as you could easily overdo the vitamins.

Zupreme isn't bad, but it isn't great (it's still considered a solid pellet--just not IDEAL). My bird is picky so its what she eats, but it has added sugar and colors (so it is kind of like the Flintstones vitamin of the pellet world--- long-term, you may look at something more natural like Tops or Harrisons)...But--Zupreem is considered reputable..Granted, I don't personally own a parakeet currently. I do know they can handle less sugar than a larger bird (and they still need to be careful).

Daily veg=important but very little fruit. One grape to a parakeet is like 300 to a human (or something like that lol).

No avocado, chocolate, xylitol, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, coffee (even decaf), no rhubarb, tomato, mushroom...avoid dairy unless extreme moderation is used (lactose intolerant). Avoid salt, sugar and preservatives...garlic, onions, leeks, chives, shallots etc =all bad for birds. When cutting up a fruit (say, apples) cut far from the seeds--same goes for pits. Parsley is controversial in some circles...You don't want to overdo spinach or dark greens and be careful with too much vitamin C--- it can lead to iron storage syndrome (for my cockatoo, vet said 1-2 Cutie slices per week, but not more).
No carbonation, no fortified human foods (e.g., most cereals, some pasta, some juices etc). No honey--especially raw (not just because of the sugar, but also due to botulism risk).
NO SHARING FOOD W/HUMAN SPIT IN IT--- eating off forks that have been licked or plates with double-dipping poses a hazard to your bird (despite the fact that a lot of people do this).

Your cat's saliva and bacteria in his nails/poop pose a huge threat--- even a playful swat can infect a bird with a bacteria that they carry and it is bad. The injury is often less serious than the infection that follows, so I would keep them FAR apart, even if he is the sweetest cat ever.

Thank you noodles123, you have provided helpful insight on every post! I truly appreciate all of the information! I’m a bit of a clean freak, so no way would I ever share any silverware,clean or dirty, with any animal.

I can’t take credit for picking him out, that was all my daughter!

The diet is what they are currently feeding, I had a feeling it’s not the best, not the worst. I was thinking my daughter can just pick out the sunflower seeds and fruit and mix with a better seed mix? Not sure how that would work, I’m still thinking about the logistics and what that would entail. I wouldn’t give candy or coffee to a pet, that to me is just common sense.

I love my cats, but cats and birds don’t mix. I also don’t declaw my cats, so they could do some damage without really trying to. The cats are not allowed in the room the bird will be in. That being said we did have a mouse get into the house the other day (entrance has since been plugged and scented) and Oreo literally snuggled the mouse. it was beyond bizarre. He has no prey drive. Silly cat is more like a dog. He will play fetch, sit, come, “do pretty” and walk on a leash with a harness like he’s a dog. We are working on stay at the moment. The cat has decided stay isn’t necessary, so that particular command is a challenge. Sorry, long story short...the cats and bird will never be in the same room together at the same time. And the litter boxes aren’t near where the bird would be either.

I’ll have to find a better seed and a better pellet option for the long term.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
I'm feeding Oliver, besides the occasional spray millet, one from Wild Harvest called Advanced Nutrition diet Parakeet I got from Walmart. Petco has some seed blends but they seemed rather high to me. I read one of the fruits Parakeets like is oranges, but Oliver showed no interest in a small chunk of orange offered to him.

He likes that seed blend I'm feeding him, and his color and stamina are great.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I recommend TOPS seed mix for parakeets. Not because of the ingredients - although I believe they are quite good -- and not because I use it; I don't; my Picky little budgies are already heartset on a different seedmix --
but, because of the Name and Description:
Our Napoleon Seed Mix is for small birds; Cockatiels, Parakeets, Parrotlets, Budgies and all the Little birds with a Big Ego.

I mean, they know that much about my little guy already, I'm sure they must know what food he needs too!

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I recommend TOPS seed mix for parakeets. Not because of the ingredients - although I believe they are quite good -- and not because I use it; I don't; my Picky little budgies are already heartset on a different seedmix --
but, because of the Name and Description:
Our Napoleon Seed Mix is for small birds; Cockatiels, Parakeets, Parrotlets, Budgies and all the Little birds with a Big Ego.

I mean, they know that much about my little guy already, I'm sure they must know what food he needs too!

Thank you! So far he refuses all fruit and veggie that I have offered and only eats the seeds out of what the store was feeding him. He was also getting fresh veggies in the pet store but has rejected them since I brought him home. He “investigates” to see what O offer then decides he would rather eat his seed mix. I’m not pushing the issue...yet. Once he’s tamed and less nervous...then I’ll hopefully be able to get some good foods into him. For now he’s just going to eat what he eats. At least I know he’s eating, and that is better than not eating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts