Food - too little or too much?

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
I have a Ducorp's Cockatoo..about the same size as a Goffin. I'm concerned on whether I'm giving her the right amount of food.

In the morning I clean out her dishes and restock with:
approx amounts

8 Caitec pellets
5 Nutriberries
small handful of Lafeber pellets (little ones)

Fresh water

Then in another dish I give her usually two diff. types of fresh fruits or vegetables:
IE: 1/3 ear of corn and mashed sweet potato, or half peeled apple and some Crazy corn, etc.

Then at night when I get home I give her some more Caitec pellets, a couple almonds and a small handful of a seed mix she came with. Then as I sit and talk to her I'll give her a couple of pine nuts that she'll take from my hand now since we're still in the bonding stage.

Is this good?

I had filled up her dish once with a variety of things and she stuck her head in there and flung everything out...brat!

Thanks!!:white1:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I honestly can't say. I don't measure out my birds food. Sugar is a picky pellet eater; if it's in her dish too long, she won't eat it. Whereas Loki will constantly eat, stale or not, lol. I eyeball everything, giving Sugar just enough that you can barely see the bottom of her dish (she has very wide dishes, I might add). I do this several times a day for her, where with Loki, I give him probably 2 tablespoons worth a day and he often has food leftover at the end of the day. I give them fresh fruit or veggies daily, also eyeballing that because a lot of it goes to waste and I'd rather not give them huge bowls and have the majority at the bottom of their cage. Food here, particularly organic produce, is expensive!

I do, however, weight them every other day and their weight hasn't changed, they're maintaining.

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
:white1:Quantity is always the big question. Somedays they eat more than others. I play it by ear.
:white1:It is interesting to get everyones birds eating habits. I have two U2s, a 9yr old and a 28 yr old females. Their eating habits are so different. Cameo loves to throw her food out of her bowl and then forage for it. She is very messy. Tasha is just a little pig. She will eat for a bit rest and then eat again. This goes on all day. Fresh fruit and veggies have not been in their diet before so getting them to eat them has been work. They like to eat them off my plate. I think it is a curiosity thing with them. Love to drink out of my cup, tea,soda, juice whatever. Cameo loves to play with the ice cubes. I don`t encourage this but many times I am eating in my office and I get jumped on by the girls. LOL

Last edited:
OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

Weigh them...REALLY? I had 2 cockatiels for many years and I never weighed them. Bad Mommy..but then again no one ever said I should..ie vet, etc.

When I go home at night there is still a little bit of food pelleted and fresh left and in the morning if she has eaten some of what I gave her I'll put a few more Caitec pellets in so she's "topped off". She doesn't keep her beak in her dish at all times so I think she eats when she is hungry.

The only thing she'll "forage" for through the cage bottom is a pine nut if she's dropped it...LOL!! She doesn't want to lose one!!

Since I've only had her a week..we're only up to head scratching..she still won't let me pick her up so I couldnt' weigh her if I wanted to.

I think I'll put a little bit more food in her dishes in the morning to be on the safe side...if I see she's not eating it or throwing it I'll decrease it so as not to waste..which I'm not overly concerned about.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I was told to weigh daily when I first got Loki because I was transitioning him from a seed only diet to pellets and then eventually fresh foods with the pellets. Then once the transition was complete, to weigh at least once a week. I'll look for it, but my vet actually gave me a table that stated how much in pellets they needed/could have per day and a few other things. I can share it with you if you like

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

I was told to weigh daily when I first got Loki because I was transitioning him from a seed only diet to pellets and then eventually fresh foods with the pellets. Then once the transition was complete, to weigh at least once a week. I'll look for it, but my vet actually gave me a table that stated how much in pellets they needed/could have per day and a few other things. I can share it with you if you like

Thank you!! That would be great!

Purl was a gift from my husband, she is 3 yo and I wasn't expecting her. Not that I mind, but cockatiels are a big difference compared to a cockatoo and I had not done any research prior. So I'm researching as I'm going along.
I have to say..she's a sweet bird considering her life has changed completely. Trusting of me for head scratches pretty quickly. When I got her, her poops weren't right to me..but they have since changed to what they should be. I'm sure it was the stress but truthfully..even stressed she ate for me within 20 minutes after I got her. LOL...Takes after her new Mama!

:white1:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots

Thank you!! That would be great!

Purl was a gift from my husband, she is 3 yo and I wasn't expecting her. Not that I mind, but cockatiels are a big difference compared to a cockatoo and I had not done any research prior. So I'm researching as I'm going along.
I have to say..she's a sweet bird considering her life has changed completely. Trusting of me for head scratches pretty quickly. When I got her, her poops weren't right to me..but they have since changed to what they should be. I'm sure it was the stress but truthfully..even stressed she ate for me within 20 minutes after I got her. LOL...Takes after her new Mama!

:white1:

I'm searching for it now... Seems I misplaced it. But I'll PM you once I find it.

My husband is the one who gave me the push for both of my birds. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

By the way, I knit too and think that you changing her name from Pearl to Purl was absolutely adorable! ;)

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

:white1:[/quote]

I'm searching for it now... Seems I misplaced it. But I'll PM you once I find it.

My husband is the one who gave me the push for both of my birds. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

By the way, I knit too and think that you changing her name from Pearl to Purl was absolutely adorable! ;)[/QUOTE]

Your the bestest!!

(PS-are you on Ravelry??...if so join the group Rusty's Place Down Under..that's my group, user ID "ErskineLake" My husband and I own a pet supply store Rusty's Place and Down Under was a cafe I used to meet customers at, now dear friends, to make beds for animal shelters):D

Most Reactions