Foot Spasm?

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Jasper's right foot seems to be in a bit of a spam tonight. He keeps tucking it up (as if to get comfortable) but then kind of flicks it down. When I was holding him just now I could feel a spasm every once in awhile.

Please help.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Sounds like "toe tapping" to me. You can read more about it here : toetapping

It can be caused by a variety of things, but mostly diet. What are his meals like? High quality pellets can give them "too much" of certain vitamins and cause this.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Breakfast:
· Broccoli
· Pomegranate
· Carrots
· Peas
· Corn
· Snap peas
· Bell peppers
· Alfalfa sprouts

Dinner:
· Brown rice
· Vegetable pasta
· Chick peas
· Red beans
· Navy beans
· (same as breakfast food)
· Sweet potato
· Bananas
· Grapes
· Strawberries
· Raspberries
· Cauliflower
· More that I can’t remember right now

I have been rewarding him with Harrison’s pellets when training him. He also gets a “bedtime snack” which consists of a tablespoon of pellets and a seed mix.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sounds good, I don't know if the Harrison's is too rich for Eclectus? Still, with that small an amount that shouldn't make a difference. Idk... Hopefully all the Ekkie experts will see this and have a suggestion for you Katie :)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I once had one start toe tapping from too many blueberries of all things! With these guys sometimes even too much of a good thing is bad. If you see that there is something that he is getting daily for long periods cut that and see what happens. Once I took out the blueberries it only took a few days for the behavior to stop and then I added the berries back only once in a while and on a limited basis. He was getting quite a few because he loved them and it is something I eat almost daily so it was just easy to give them to him daily as well, lesson learned.;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts