For those of you who got untamed conures

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Hello everyone!

I got Keen 3 weeks ago and for the second week of having her I would get her out of her cage 1-3 times a day using a blanket. I would keep her wrapped in it until she calmed down and then let her wander around me at her will. Several people on here said I was using "blanket attacks" and should let her come out on her own. I stopped pulling her out with the blanket and just allowed her to come out on her own. She comes out and explores just fine, but sometimes I can't get her back in her cage, so I have to resort to getting her with the blanket. Most times I can "round her up" and catch her with just my hand. She still will not let me touch her at all. How long did it take those of you who aquired UN-tame conures to get them to allow you to touch them? (I KNOW this can be a lengthy process ... I know my bird is not a machine ... I'm just looking for feedback on what to expect and looking to hear stories of success).

I am having absolutly zero luck with teaching her to step up. She did it once, onto a perch I was holding in my hand, but never again. Any suggestions? I've tried using the clicker, but she often shows no interest in the reward I offer (sun flower seed, bite of millet, yogurt covered seed, etc). Again ... I KNOW this can be a lengthy process ... I know my bird is not a machine ... I'm just looking for feedback on what to expect and looking to hear stories of success.

It's kind of tough when you love something so much and it's totally afraid to let you touch it. If she only knew that I think every-single-thing she does from eating to pooping to playing with toys to screaming was adorable and precious. :07:

Lonnie

Oct 8, 2011
If you discover the answers please let me know, what you are describing fits mine to a "T" also. I even went as far as to try and sell this one so I could find another one that I might bond better with, but now everyone considers me a "bird flipper" I guarantee you I am NOT a bird flipper, just want to find one that is better suited for me.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
If you discover the answers please let me know, what you are describing fits mine to a "T" also. I even went as far as to try and sell this one so I could find another one that I might bond better with, but now everyone considers me a "bird flipper" I guarantee you I am NOT a bird flipper, just want to find one that is better suited for me.
How long have you had your conure? How old is he/she?
It makes me really sad that people are judging you. No one can know exactly what'd going on inside another person's heart/head/home.
I got a cockatiel, Opi, before I got my YSGCC, Keen. I hoped Opi would be my devoted little buddy for his whole life; He pretty much hates me. I think he has "women issues" from his previous home. He does however ADORE my husband. I have tried so hard to bond with Opi and it just hasn't happened. I keep at it, but I knew deep down Opi would just always be how he is. He is a "man's bird" and it took a while for me to figure that out. I got Keen and she is wonderful. I know it might take time, and new ways of trying, but I can see her coming around.

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
Hello everyone!

I got Keen 3 weeks ago and for the second week of having her I would get her out of her cage 1-3 times a day using a blanket. I would keep her wrapped in it until she calmed down and then let her wander around me at her will. Several people on here said I was using "blanket attacks" and should let her come out on her own. I stopped pulling her out with the blanket and just allowed her to come out on her own. She comes out and explores just fine, but sometimes I can't get her back in her cage, so I have to resort to getting her with the blanket. Most times I can "round her up" and catch her with just my hand. She still will not let me touch her at all. How long did it take those of you who aquired UN-tame conures to get them to allow you to touch them? (I KNOW this can be a lengthy process ... I know my bird is not a machine ... I'm just looking for feedback on what to expect and looking to hear stories of success).

I am having absolutly zero luck with teaching her to step up. She did it once, onto a perch I was holding in my hand, but never again. Any suggestions? I've tried using the clicker, but she often shows no interest in the reward I offer (sun flower seed, bite of millet, yogurt covered seed, etc). Again ... I KNOW this can be a lengthy process ... I know my bird is not a machine ... I'm just looking for feedback on what to expect and looking to hear stories of success.

It's kind of tough when you love something so much and it's totally afraid to let you touch it. If she only knew that I think every-single-thing she does from eating to pooping to playing with toys to screaming was adorable and precious. :07:

Guido was, I believe, basically feral when I got him. He would hide in his cage and wanted absolutley nothing to do with anyone or anything. After a few days I was able to give him a seed through the cage. Any attempt to put my hand in his cage would cause an immediate panic attack in him :( So I moved his cage right next to where I spend a lot of my time when at home. For the first few weeks, maybe a month, I would just talk calmly to him and give him a sunflower seed when he was in a mood to take it. At this point he had shown no interest in leaving his cage and no interest in interacting with my daughters 'tiels. I kept the cage door open however in case he wanted to come out. During this time I was able to "train" him if you want to call it that, that if he rang a specific bell he would get a treat, just another way to interact in a small way with him. Eventually he did come out. He mainly stayed on the top of his cage and still wanted no interaction with me, but he wanted out and that seemed to me like he was more comfortable with his surroundings. I just kept letting him progress at his own pace the breakthrough for me was when he flew to a chair, and tried flying back to his cage. He was still new to flying and ended up landing on my shoulder where he then calmly walked off of and into his cage. It was couple of weeks later that I was finally able to lure him out on to my shoulder with the reward of a nice fat piece of Avi Cake ( ie Birdy Crack:) ). After that we was more and more willing to come out on my shoulder. Again it went on for a while where he would only come out on my shoulder, and only for a seed. It was around this time that he would start hanging out on the edge of his cage door ( the closest part of his cage to me, about 8-12 inches away ) when he wasnt "playing" with the 'tiels. Eventually step by step I was able to make progress with him while playing the role of "Seed Vending Machine" :). Its now progressed to the point now where he will fly to my hand on command and let me transfer him from hand to hand letting him perch on my finger. This was the foundation for me getting him to "step up", yes, he is FINALLY doing that :D Its not 100% consistant, and its only from places where he feels most secure but he will do it now where before he had zero interest in doing it. It is, in my estimation, huge progress from when I first got him because he no longer freaks out when I get a hand/finger close to him, he just walks away or flies to the perch on the top of his cage. Guido still wont let me touch him, but I am able to interact with him on a level that I would never have thought possible when I first got him. I have hope that he will let me touch him and scritch him like the 'tiels love so much.

I guess what I am trying to say in my long winded way is that you just have to be patient with your little feather head, and let him come to you. If you are consistent in your attitude towards him he will come around :)

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
THANK YOU! So much for your reply! It's nice to hear words of encouragement and to hear a success story! I have been doing exactly what you said you did and I can already see results. Ever since I got Keen her cage is parked right next to my desk where I sit the majority of the day while I work. She comes out and is really starting to show some interest in "being with me". I just adore her. I can't wait for the day she wants to snuggle. :) :) :) :greenyellow:

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Hello everyone!

Guido was, I believe, basically feral when I got him. He would hide in his cage and wanted absolutley nothing to do with anyone or anything. After a few days I was able to give him a seed through the cage. Any attempt to put my hand in his cage would cause an immediate panic attack in him :( So I moved his cage right next to where I spend a lot of my time when at home. For the first few weeks, maybe a month, I would just talk calmly to him and give him a sunflower seed when he was in a mood to take it. At this point he had shown no interest in leaving his cage and no interest in interacting with my daughters 'tiels. I kept the cage door open however in case he wanted to come out. During this time I was able to "train" him if you want to call it that, that if he rang a specific bell he would get a treat, just another way to interact in a small way with him. Eventually he did come out. He mainly stayed on the top of his cage and still wanted no interaction with me, but he wanted out and that seemed to me like he was more comfortable with his surroundings. I just kept letting him progress at his own pace the breakthrough for me was when he flew to a chair, and tried flying back to his cage. He was still new to flying and ended up landing on my shoulder where he then calmly walked off of and into his cage. It was couple of weeks later that I was finally able to lure him out on to my shoulder with the reward of a nice fat piece of Avi Cake ( ie Birdy Crack:) ). After that we was more and more willing to come out on my shoulder. Again it went on for a while where he would only come out on my shoulder, and only for a seed. It was around this time that he would start hanging out on the edge of his cage door ( the closest part of his cage to me, about 8-12 inches away ) when he wasnt "playing" with the 'tiels. Eventually step by step I was able to make progress with him while playing the role of "Seed Vending Machine" :). Its now progressed to the point now where he will fly to my hand on command and let me transfer him from hand to hand letting him perch on my finger. This was the foundation for me getting him to "step up", yes, he is FINALLY doing that :D Its not 100% consistant, and its only from places where he feels most secure but he will do it now where before he had zero interest in doing it. It is, in my estimation, huge progress from when I first got him because he no longer freaks out when I get a hand/finger close to him, he just walks away or flies to the perch on the top of his cage. Guido still wont let me touch him, but I am able to interact with him on a level that I would never have thought possible when I first got him. I have hope that he will let me touch him and scritch him like the 'tiels love so much.

I guess what I am trying to say in my long winded way is that you just have to be patient with your little feather head, and let him come to you. If you are consistent in your attitude towards him he will come around :)

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing.

Lots of patience, consistency, and reinforcement/reward = the key to taming these birds. Take it one step at a time, and learn to work with your bird's pace/comfort level.

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
I too am interested in more information. As most know my gcc is untamed. Won't let me get close at all. I was wondering what are the best ways to bond?

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
I too am interested in more information. As most know my gcc is untamed. Won't let me get close at all. I was wondering what are the best ways to bond?
I have been doing exactly what the people in this post suggested to me ... just being insanely patient with Keen, my GCC. I work from home and spend ALL day with Keen, so I know I'm very fortunate for that advantage. I talk to her, I was able to get her to understand if she rang a bell I would give her a treat. I keep a few sunflower seeds, pieces of dried veggies, etc in my pocket and when I walk by her, I talk to her, try to get her to ring her bell on command, and I give her a treat. I tell her, "Mama loves Keen. Mama loves you" and I give her a treat. I open her cage and let her walk around on the floor while I sit and watch TV. I found that the more I tried to talk to her as she got close to me, the more afraid she would be, so I would just ignore her a bit. She'd come up and I'd very slowly put a treat out for her. Eventually she was taking treats from my hand. Then I was able to get her to step onto me to take the treat. Then I started VERY SLOWLY today telling her, "Mama touch ... Mama touch" and I would very slowly put my finger toward her and pet her. I would tell her over and over "good girl" and "Good Mama touch" and "Mama gentle". and give her a treat again. After about 30 minutes, I was able to get her to step up on me and repeat it 4 more times. Eventually by the end of the morning, Keen was perched on the top of my cell phone, which was in my hand while I was "ignoring her" while I laid on the floor next to where she was. (Bummer than I forgot to check for poop after she got down and proceeded to stick my phone in my pocket! :26:)
The past two days have been enormous progress, but it's taken me being with her 12 hours a day for the past 3+ weeks to get to this point. It was like yesterday she decided that Mama wasn't going to kill her, and I could be trusted.
GOOD LUCK! Just be patient & move slowly (literally ... move slowly around your bird). Keen & I are proof that it WILL happen. It just HAS to happen in your GCC's time, not yours. Once I accepted that, it was much less stressful; on both Keen and myself. :greenyellow:

sainraja

Apr 23, 2013
My experience has been pretty good with getting green cheeks from Petco who are not trained. They didn't take long in warming up to the whole family.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You dont bond any parrot by toweling or blanketing them. Find their favorite treat, trust us they have one. once found, feed it thru the bars with a happy voice. NNext put a little in your hand , palm up. You want the bird to come to your hand. TAKE YOUR TIME, this can take dys , weeks or months, especially if you have been toweling the parrot.

Most Reactions