Foraging DIY's for Percy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
This is Percy's current favourite forager. I saw the idea to thread corrugated cardboard onto a string and fill the corration holes with seeds, online. Since Percy doesn't get sunflower seeds in his food bowls, I make him work for it with this. First, it was easy - big squares of card board with seeds all round. Then I started putting smaller squares between the big squares and only put seeds in the small squares - so he had to work harder at getting them out. Tonight I added some paper cups over some of the squares (these hidden squares contain the seeds) with some slivers of macadamia nut just here and there in the squares that are visible. I will see what he thinks of it tomorrow. He's come far since he came to live with us, unaware what foraging or shredding was about! :). He loves this thing so much that he grabs it in the morning when I hang it in his cage and I have to wrestle with him to hang it! I have to make a new one every evening because once he's pulled out all the seeds, he rips the whole thing to shreds.

The second pic is a bowl of crystals/semi precious stones left over from my teenage crystal phase... I washed them clean and will just put them in the bottom of the cage so he can get used to them. In a few days I will hide some food and toys between the stones and see what he does. I triple checked to make sure none of the stones are small enough to be swallowed. I saw this online too and thought I'd give it a shot ;)

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well done Percy!!!!!!!!!! :D

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
love the rocks :D bet some washed pebbles would work for the little guys! might have to see if it will work for us

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Great idea's! Thanks for passing them on!!!

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Thanks for posting this.
How have I never thought to do that with cut up cardboard?

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Thanks for posting this.
How have I never thought to do that with cut up cardboard?
Frankly, neither did I! LOL! I'm not very creative but I'm very good at appropriating ideas I see online ;)
Just remember that thick cardboard works best - bigger corrugations and it stands up better to sharp beaks too.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
"Pffft! You thought these paper cups would deter me?? Look at me go!" :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions