Found a sun conure!

OP
A

Aleksandar

Dec 14, 2015
Yeah, it's not theirs, they don't own birds anymore. The bird relaxed a little bit, but wants so much attention, she constantly screeches, but stops when I'm looking at her or talking to her. My ears hurt from it, it's sooo loud. I doubt I will be able to keep it, I'll try to find her a new home once she's completely healed up.

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Wow, what a lucky bird this is! :) It must have known it was in trouble and wanted to be helped.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Aleksander Suns (or any parrot for that matter) shouldn't be constantly screeching. If you think about it, if all suns did that then their wouldn't be many people who had them. LOL.

It's up to you on what you can and cannot handle and how much time and effort you are able to devote to your sun. They DO demand a lot of time and attention and if you can't provide that, I'm glad you are going to find someone who can.

But if all it is is the noise, you can do things to decrease the amount of screeching. Sadly, you can't do anything about the 'loudness' of them, but you can about the amount.

I know it can be done because I did it with Skittles. It took a long time and a LOT of patience and effort but he went from being a persistent screecher who made me want to rip my hair out to one of the quietest birds I've ever owned.

The biggest changes I made to accomplish that were mostly things I had to do to my life and way of living. Not everyone can make those adjustments or sacrifices.

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
I so agree with Skittys Daddy's comment about the changes you make to your lifestyle for your birds. Quiet time, lights out time, cooking vessels, vacations all change a bit when you bring them home. It's the price you pay for peace, harmony and one of the most loving pets you can have the pleasure to know.

OP
A

Aleksandar

Dec 14, 2015
She's a bit calmer now, doesn't screech that often. She usually does it when she hears my other bird chirping in the other room. It seems like she's calling me to talk to her. When I talk to her, she gets all nervous, climbs everywhere, and uses a different tone, it seems like she's having fun. I will try to find someone who can provide a good place to stay for her, if not, I'll think of something.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Not sure what to say about that. My cockatiel, Peaches, is actually noisier than Skittles but her screech is actually pleasant (tiels and budgies noises are). However, when Peaches gets going, he gets going.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Hi. A few months ago I rescued a found cockatiel. I searched for the owner but couldn't find them. The tiel screamed alot and wasn't very happy at first. My tiel also started flock calling and screaming more. Once quarantine was over and iI decided to keep her I let her meet the rest of my flock.

She is now generally a very quiet bird. My male quit screaming too. I wish she would sing more.

I know suns are different but if you decide to try to keep it it may settle down once it becomes a full member of your flock.

Most Reactions