"free range" zon??

christinereed

Mar 13, 2013
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Emily, dbl yellow Amazon
Yes, Em would get into too much trouble on her own. Since she got better at flying and exploring I have to watch her. She can't be out unless someone is in the room. There's a bookcase next to her cage, two flutters and a hop and there she is. Sometimes, you don't even hear the flutters. She used to hate the kitchen. Eventually, I took the mobile stand we had for her out of there because it was always in the way. Now, suddenly the kitchen is one of her favorite places and she lands on the back of a wooden chair and commences whittling.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Free Range zons??? My mother had a clipped zon who lived in a tree out back. She slept on a perch in the laundry room. We had issues with cats,dogs, snakes ,hawks,but mostly Blue jays. In the tropics you see cage free amazons, fairly common. A few that come to mine are some very colorful ,free flighted panamas that live at the outside bar at Tropic Star Lodge in Pinas Bay panama.I've seen several others in various places but mostly in central american where they are native. My pet zons are clipped and mostly cage free. It's pretty rare we even close their cages but someone is usually home with them. They're several hens that i have to keep out of eyesight of each other, they will try and kill each other. So as long as every one stays away every one else's area ,all is good. Some of the zons can hang out together in a neutral spot, but some can't. (usually it's the very attached hens). I would think your chances would be better with a clipped then a flighted one in a cage free situation. Once again we're tip toeing around controversial topics and different situations, there;s no substitute for close human supervision in either case.
PS i feel i should add, if your keeping a zon cage free, never allow them on the floor. That should be a rule you enforce 100% of the time. Way too many dangers and trouble down on the floor.

Last edited:
OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Free Range zons??? My mother had a clipped zon who lived in a tree out back. She slept on a perch in the laundry room. We had issues with cats,dogs, snakes ,hawks,but mostly Blue jays. In the tropics you see cage free amazons, fairly common. A few that come to mine are some very colorful ,free flighted panamas that live at the outside bar at Tropic Star Lodge in Pinas Bay panama.I've seen several others in various places but mostly in central american where they are native. My pet zons are clipped and mostly cage free. It's pretty rare we even close their cages but someone is usually home with them. They're several hens that i have to keep out of eyesight of each other, they will try and kill each other. So as long as every one stays away every one else's area ,all is good. Some of the zons can hang out together in a neutral spot, but some can't. (usually it's the very attached hens). I would think your chances would be better with a clipped then a flighted one in a cage free situation. Once again we're tip toeing around controversial topics and different situations, there;s no substitute for close human supervision in either case.
PS i feel i should add, if your keeping a zon cage free, never allow them on the floor. That should be a rule you enforce 100% of the time. Way too many dangers and trouble down on the floor.

We have a lot of hawks, eagles, blue jays, etc so being "free" outside is completely out of the question at this point. Jackie is our one and only zon, and I'm home all the time (other than the occasional errand) so he gets constant supervision...and him being on the floor is absolutely not allowed- especially with a toddler in the house too. I don't want either of them getting a hold of each other! I think at this point I've given up the idea of completely cage-free lol

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Norman
I hate seeing Norman in his cage! The moment I get home he's free until I go to bed.
But PLEASE be sure your babies are in a safe environment. About 26 years ago, Norman was climbing around my room and perched himself on a wood chair in my bedroom. I chewed on it a little. I had NO idea that the chair had been painted with a lead base paint!
He went through one round of meds while being in a incubator at the vets and ended needing a second series of meds which I administered to him with aid of my mom & a leather glove. I had too shoot him up twice in the morning & twice at night for about a week. He made it through it all GREAT, but it was a horrible experience.
Sorry to be a DOWNER! If you can set it up & it works well I'd love to hear about it!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I hate seeing Norman in his cage! The moment I get home he's free until I go to bed.
But PLEASE be sure your babies are in a safe environment. About 26 years ago, Norman was climbing around my room and perched himself on a wood chair in my bedroom. I chewed on it a little. I had NO idea that the chair had been painted with a lead base paint!
He went through one round of meds while being in a incubator at the vets and ended needing a second series of meds which I administered to him with aid of my mom & a leather glove. I had too shoot him up twice in the morning & twice at night for about a week. He made it through it all GREAT, but it was a horrible experience.
Sorry to be a DOWNER! If you can set it up & it works well I'd love to hear about it!

OMG!!! So scary!!! I'm glad he made it through that ordeal! Poor baby :(
I think for now I'll keep the cage and just let him be out when I'm home- which is usually all day, every day :) maybe we'll do cage free when we get our new house at the end of the year...I think he's still adjusting to his new life with us and I don't want to change things too fast on him. He went from living in a back bedroom, cooped up in his cage without being let out for a few YEARS with minimal care and interaction...to being let out all day, every day and being the center of attention at the epicenter of our living space. Quite a drastic change, but he's loving it :)

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
I've learned so much from this forum! I love reading rescue stories! Sounds like Jackie is going to be one happy bird!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I've learned so much from this forum! I love reading rescue stories! Sounds like Jackie is going to be one happy bird!

Me too!!! Jackie is my first "big" bird and his anger was really intimidating- especially with such a huge beak! This forum has really helped me A LOT, plus it's nice to share with other parronts...out of all the people I know, I'm the only one with a parrot so I don't have anyone to get advice from :/

I can post his rescue story if you like, or you can search for my beginning posts back in early march :)

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I explained it in another thread, but what we feared happened last night. Skittles came down to the floor. My wife heard an odd skwawk and went to check it out. The Yorkie had Skittles pinned to the floor, flapping and skwawking. She ran off the dog and Skitles climbed into one of the pantry shelving units. Donna called me, afraid that he might be hurt. Skittles stepped up, climber to my shoulder and I took him back to his cage.

Last night and this morning Skittles appeared fine. Hungry, talkative and active.

Apparently Missy just wanted to play.

Can't let that happen again ...

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I explained it in another thread, but what we feared happened last night. Skittles came down to the floor. My wife heard an odd skwawk and went to check it out. The Yorkie had Skittles pinned to the floor, flapping and skwawking. She ran off the dog and Skitles climbed into one of the pantry shelving units. Donna called me, afraid that he might be hurt. Skittles stepped up, climber to my shoulder and I took him back to his cage.

Last night and this morning Skittles appeared fine. Hungry, talkative and active.

Apparently Missy just wanted to play.

Can't let that happen again ...

Oh goodness :( so scary!! So glad skittles is ok! At this point I'm veering away from the cage-free/free range idea because of all the cons I didn't think of myself. Our dogs and cat are strictly outdoor pets, and at this point I worry more about my 14 month old son getting a hold of Jackie and them hurting each other :/ so, we'll continue with supervised out time.

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Oh goodness :( so scary!! So glad skittles is ok! At this point I'm veering away from the cage-free/free range idea because of all the cons I didn't think of myself. Our dogs and cat are strictly outdoor pets, and at this point I worry more about my 14 month old son getting a hold of Jackie and them hurting each other :/ so, we'll continue with supervised out time.

OH NO! A hug from a 14 month old could be more traumatic than the dog or cat! LOL Then again, the 14 month old might not like a big kiss from Jackie!

BACON

May 18, 2013

I must admit I've always wanted to try and have a breeding pair in a tree in our back yard. We only have small hawks here, I don't think they would be a problem, cats could be but the tree I have in mind I pretty tall, plus I could tin the bottom!!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

OH NO! A hug from a 14 month old could be more traumatic than the dog or cat! LOL Then again, the 14 month old might not like a big kiss from Jackie!

LOL yes! He likes to crush things and is very strong despite his size lol but he also likes to poke, and I'd hate for Jackie to have a baby finger fry :/

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots

Me too!!! Jackie is my first "big" bird and his anger was really intimidating- especially with such a huge beak! This forum has really helped me A LOT, plus it's nice to share with other parronts...out of all the people I know, I'm the only one with a parrot so I don't have anyone to get advice from :/

I can post his rescue story if you like, or you can search for my beginning posts back in early march :)
I would love to read Jackie's story! Is he jealous of the baby? My close friend got pregnant & is a single Mom. I ended being her main support system, pretty much two Mommy's for her daughter. Crib at my house, car seats the whole thing. Norman did not handle it well! He never attacked the baby, but screamed every time she cried or fussed. Seemed like as soon as I would get her to sleep he would go crazy. Figured he was just jealous of me always holding her. He did like when I sang to her. Norman got better but I still don't trust him around her. She's two now and knows to keep her distance. Makes me nervous of how he would react if I ever have a child.
Little fingers & big beaks...no no

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

I would love to read Jackie's story! Is he jealous of the baby? My close friend got pregnant & is a single Mom. I ended being her main support system, pretty much two Mommy's for her daughter. Crib at my house, car seats the whole thing. Norman did not handle it well! He never attacked the baby, but screamed every time she cried or fussed. Seemed like as soon as I would get her to sleep he would go crazy. Figured he was just jealous of me always holding her. He did like when I sang to her. Norman got better but I still don't trust him around her. She's two now and knows to keep her distance. Makes me nervous of how he would react if I ever have a child.
Little fingers & big beaks...no no

I'll post his story probably tomorrow :)

He's not jealous of the baby- I think because Jed was already here so he just kinda accepted it. Jed's 14 months old, and we've only had Jackie for 3 months now...but sometimes when jed cries or if he's getting tickled and starts laughing super hard Jackie will scream- I think he's trying to be protective over him though and "sounding the alarm" lol he doesn't try to bite him, but I never let the two of them get within touching distance of each other- better safe than sorry!! He follows Jed's nap schedule though lol I turn the radio up loud, and fans on high speed to drown out jackie's screams (if he does start screaming) so he doesn't wake jed up...but usually Jackie will take a nap too lol I sing and shush Jed to sleep and Jackie's eyes start drooping, but sometimes he'll whistle and make cute noises, but then he'll go to sleep when I go and lay jed down lol

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
My birds are out on the patio now that the weather is gorgeous. The BFA (can't fly) and the CAG (can't fly) have open cages and an array of hanging boings, tree perches, etc. between the cages so they can climb around all day. (The Conure and the Budgies, fully flighted, are in cages outside.) They are all under a slight awning and have a sun/rain umbrella over a large part of their environment. They are happy and active. They don't get down onto the patio, probably because of the dogs--although the dogs and the birds have a clear and gentle understanding with each other.

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
Henpecked: how would you keep the birds OFF of the floor inside? Mine simply climb down from their cages or tree stands and proceed to march around, eating bookshelves and disappearing under sofas. [Sigh.]

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ooooo!!! I bet they love it out there!! Do you bring them inside at night??

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Henpecked: how would you keep the birds OFF of the floor inside? Mine simply climb down from their cages or tree stands and proceed to march around, eating bookshelves and disappearing under sofas. [Sigh.]

Lordy ,lordy, It's not easy. A determined zon can be a trial of wills. Usually there's a reason , nesting behavior, jealous of another bird, etc. Being on the floor is not natural/normal behavior but it does occur in wild birds. They are usually very wary and uncomfortable on the floor and i exploit that. I startle them by clapping by hand, shooing them back, scolding them etc. I've had to replace perch stands with slippery poles they can't climb. Change cages, change locations, add seed catchers they can't get around, do what ever it takes. Most times what ever their reason for the behavior doesn't last long. You just want to avoid them becoming complacent with being on the floor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts