Fresh Sunflower Seeds

King

Feb 9, 2015
NY currently
Parrots
LuLu the GCC
(aka: Lu-Lucifer, Lu-Ludacris, Lu-Lunatic..she is the total opposite)
Q: Can conures(parrots in general even) eat freshly harvested off the plant un flower seeds? Do I need to do anything to the seeds themselves prior to consumption?

Background info:
Planted some sunflowers this year. For a few reasons. 1-My parents like them so I did some there & my apartment. 2-Sunflower seeds to for the birdfeeder(outdoor) are relatively expensive compared to the cost of a seed. 3- To use them as a treat here or there with my Conure. I did a recent google search, and a search her on the forum itself, came up with nothing specific. Not the most thorough search but still. As always, any help is appreciated. :42:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If I were you, I would look up whether or not sunflower blooms are safe. If they are, I would assume the seeds are as well. If they are not, I would suggest you find out which parts of the plants are toxic, and go from there.

OP
K

King

Feb 9, 2015
NY currently
Parrots
LuLu the GCC
(aka: Lu-Lucifer, Lu-Ludacris, Lu-Lunatic..she is the total opposite)
10/4. Thanks

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Assuming the sunflowers weren't sprayed with any insecticide/fungicide, I'd think it would be fine to feed the sunflower kernels as an occasional treat. The only thing that would concern me is not knowing what wild birds rummaged through the seeds before.

But then again, commercially available seed mixes were harvested as well, right? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts