New baby Sun Conure

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
Hi all,
Just got a new baby Sun. His name is Rauri (ro-ree).
He's about as cute as can be, and I love him already. I got him from a really nice breeder who had the cutest baby quakers and macaws. I had never seen baby macaws before and was so surprised by how big they were for only being 3 weeks old!!
Does anyone use a ceramic heat emitter bulb to help keep birdie babies warm at night? I have one but want to make sure its safe. Also ceramic pans are safe to cook with right?

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
Heres a picture!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1443995630440.jpg
    FB_IMG_1443995630440.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 667

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Baby sunnies! Woohoo! What's the origin of the name?

I don't use a warmer light - but my sunnie is 5 1/2yrs old so he isn't a baby anymore. Not sure if young'ins need the light or not.

As far as I know, ceramic is safe to cook with. But stay away from anything 'non-stick' that has teflon. Check to see if the ceramic cookware has been 'treated' or 'coated' with anything. I use stainless steel.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Many congrats on your beautiful baby Rauri!! :)

Nah, a ceramic heater won't be necessary, they're pretty good at keeping themselves warm once they are fully feathered like this (assuming you are keeping him indoors, of course).

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I have a ceramic heat bulb that I've used on occasion when I've had issues with heat at home. It does get very hot to the touch, but it doesn't put off a whole lot of heat. The infrared bulbs used for chickens would probably be superior, but unless your house is chilly you won't need one.

There are also heated perches available that aren't too expensive. My preferred method if I feel like they need a little heat is a rubber hot water bottle. It doesn't get too hot but stays warm for a while.

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
Our house gets pretty chilly at night. In the 60s. I think he needs the heat. It puts out a lot of heat. Probably like 80s under the heat source. Which is outside of the cage.
Rauri is an Irish name I have always liked and it fits him.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Congratulations! What a cutie!

In the wild, even in rainforest climates, it can get as low as the 50's. So he really should be fine.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
If using the heat lamp gives you peace of mind - then use it.

While the 'ideal temp' for a sun conure environment is 70-75, "healthy" suns can easily adapt to mid to upper 60s. I certainly wouldn't go under 65 if at all possible. Given his age, I'd err on the side of caution and keep it closer to 70s. Your younger birds and your older birds are more sensitive to the changing temps.

My vet has told me not to go below 65. Also, diet plays a significant part too. A healthy fed sun can adapt better to colder climates than an unhealthy fed one.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
What a little cutie! Congrats! My fids all came to me older so I won't weigh in on the temp question since I don't know for sure...

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
He's still being hand fed twice a day. And he is either playing with his food or eating it I'm not sure. But my chop has beans, noodles, veggies and fruit as well as Roudybush in the chop.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles does that too. He plays with his food. Sometimes he'll be in the middle of eating and suddenly just start throwing the food all over the place. Kind of like when a baby throws food at the wall with their spoon.

I find Skittles will get messy in particular whenever I vaccuum. It's like he has to 're-create' his 'artistic masterpiece' that is the food crumbs on the carpet.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
In my experience, it's the "sudden" changes in temperature that are more hazardous than anything. Like dropping from 90 degrees to 45 degrees in a matter of seconds or a few minutes.

I've always kept my apartment between 68-72 and I've never had a problem. I think that you want to keep a temperature range that doesn't fluctuate too much. That allows the bird to adjust.

Everything in JerseyWendy's link is in line with what my vet has told me.

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
I ended up ordering the little birdie warming pad type thing on Dr foster and smith. Looks like he will like it and give me peace of mind that if he does get cold he can warm up next to that.

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
I ended up ordering the little birdie warming pad type thing on Dr foster and smith. Looks like he will like it and give me peace of mind that if he does get cold he can warm up next to that.
uploadfromtaptalk1444329976085.jpg here is another picture of the sassy little boy. (Well I guess not sure if boy or girl until I get my test kit and send in, should be here soon!)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
He is just so beautiful! He has such a sweet and innocent look. Trust me, it's only a matter of time before he starts raising hell.

Most Reactions

Latest posts