Frugality and parrots

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
The last four months i have been trying to be more frugal and it is working ,i am saving a lot more,and never realized how much unnecessary stuff i bought.
Only it seems that everything i save goes straight to the fids....
Somehow i just can't keep the spending for the fids on control cause i know i have the money.(not that i am regretting it too much:p)
Do any off you have this problem?will frugality and parrots never mix.

Roanoke

Oct 30, 2014
Greenville, SC
Parrots
Teeko, GCC [Baby Amazon ETA: August 25th]
My family has always been very frugal. In fact, we often call my dad a penny-pincher. He tends to take it to the extreme, though ;)

I haven't had much of a problem being too spendy on parrot supplies.
Mind you, I have a flock of 1 (Who came with food, cage, perches, etc) but in my experience, frugality is simple.
Just ask yourself whether or not your bird needs or would really love this item, if the answer is no, don't buy it.
Always look for the absolute cheapest one available unless it sacrifices quality.
Try DIYing toys and perches, there's always useful junk laying around the house.

Just remember, no matter what, your birds' happiness is most certainly worth any money you spend on them!

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I do make most toys myself,unfortunately their is only one main supplier for toy parts and thus makes them pricey,i do look around at other stores and often find things,but some off their favorites are only there for sale,also i am trying to switch to ss quick links and those are really pricey.
Don't worry,my birds happiness is above money.

Last edited:

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
My fiance has a pretty good job and pays out bills, so my work study job at college pays for my gas to and from school, my lunches, and my bird and dogs. So they get spoiled alot. I'm NOT good at saving money...

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think it just comes down to how good you are at budgeting, haha! I like budgeting. Crunching numbers in that way actually pleases me quite a lot. It also comes down to how reliable your income is, whether it be from a career or part-time job. There have been times where my boyfriend and I have been very, very frugal in regards to ourselves, but rarely ever the birds... and to be honest, I think that's actually how a lot of parents live until things settle :p

I have tried making my own bird toys, and unfortunately I do not have the creative eye for it or the talent as you do hacatta, it's something I'm working on! But I don't buy toys that cost more than $10 a pop. I think the most expensive thing for my birds would be vet visits and their food. We also have a savings account for the birds in case an accident does happen.

And of course small birds are FAR more budget friendly than a large bird is - and quite frankly I view owning a bird like owning a paper shredder... if you're not okay at letting your bird shred up your money, you probably shouldn't keep them because that's exactly what we love having them do, haha! Nothing makes me happier - and them! - than watching them tear into their toys and have a great time destroying it. :)

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I think I may have found a way to save a little on food costs (not good pellets, those I won't scrimp on and my fids will always have zupreem). I went to the Goldenfeast website and wrote down all their ingredients in three popular mixes that cost a bit for such small amounts per package. I haven't got my macaw yet because we're still waiting on tile to come in to finish our enclosure, but I've begun a stockpile in a rubbermade tub of all the shelf stable items on the list. I have a cool basement to keep them good for quite awhile inside the plastic tub. I'll keep a container up here of mixed stuff and cook it as needed. I'll have a bulk amount of things for less money in the end, and I'm not afraid of cooking or mixing my own ingredients. I have the time as well. I cook all the time anyway, so what's a little more?

As for the toys, several industrious members here have told me ways to make fun toys and chewables for a macaw. I bought several things that were useful and hopefully indestructible as well, so that should keep the costs down too. I have access to all the wood I could need, and paper/cardboard shredders are easy to make.

OP
hacatta

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I don't mind spending money on my birds the problem is i spend it on too much unnecessary stuff that they do not need or want.
I have an whole bag off toys i need to pull apart for parts since they do not look at them.
I won't scrimp on their food either,but for veggies and fruit i go to the marked now and get a lot off stuff not for sale in the supermarket and get a lots off things a lot cheaper there.
I also buy their pellets in bulk and that saves me almost 100euro with shipping included.
My garden gives me in the summer a lot off expensive fruits that i either dry or freeze as juice.
The biggest spending right now is that i bought a new cage last month and most off their toys looked so small and needed to get it all furnished.
I don't think i will ever really budget on them but that doesn't mean i can't do it in ways they won't notice.
My birds also have 2savingacounts 1 for va costs and 1 for toys,the last one recently to keep me in check.;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions