Frustrated with local vets

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
So, there are no actual avian vets in my city, or even within a 7 hour drive.

My former vet, while not an avian vet, was genuinely interested in parrots and I at least felt comfortable dealing with her. Now, she's moved away, and to be totally honest, all the vets in town who supposedly deal with exotics shy away from even LOOKING at parrots. They seem to have a very "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude towards parrots; bring 'em in if they're sick and we'll try to muddle together a solution. Otherwise, don't.

The only thing they seem willing to do is a physical check up/weigh in. Since Pixel already had a test done for common illnesses/bacteria/etc, both the vets I've spoken with act confused that I even want to bring my bird in for a check up...

I think if I pushed I could convince them to do a fecal swab... but, that's about it.

Sorry; I know I'm just ranting here. I'm just frustrated because I feel like there's relatively little for Pixel in terms of vet care. I know blood work etc is stressful on them (as I've been told a thousand times), but I always thought it was also very important to a bird's health. Am I wrong? I want to do what's best for her, but honestly... I'm not sure what that is now.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I know what you mean! I'm in the interior and the nearest avian vet is 2 hours away. Here we have a vet that sees them but has no specialties. He didn't even know what species my birds were. He didn't weigh them, just felt the keel and examined the feathers, face, and heartbeat. I had to ask him to examine the wings before seeing Teo's, which were completely torn up. He sent the feathers for examination and has yet to get back to me.

Some people look at birds because no one else will, and though they're no experts it is nice to have them checked out.

It is frusterating. Do you find that there is little available in terms of bird toys and clubs? People around here have birds, but there is no sense of community and it all seems very private.

Maybe I should start a club or group here.

OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
It is frusterating. Do you find that there is little available in terms of bird toys and clubs? People around here have birds, but there is no sense of community and it all seems very private.

Yes, there's hardly anything here. I order the bulk of Pixels toys online or make them myself. We have two pet stores that carry bird toys, but they're always the same thing, never any new stock. And as far as I know there are NO bird clubs here (I'm in Prince George). Actually, I don't even personally know anyone who has parrots apart from tiels and budgies... and they're pretty much cage bound and only get cheap bird seed. I've only met two people who didn't look at me in total confusion when I said I had a Senegal parrot. Most of them ask if it's "one of those big white birds with the crest-thing"...

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Same here in Kamloops. 5 stores, cockatiel stock. I know of about 5 other people here in a city of 80,000 that have large birds, and I know none of them personally. My mother in law on Vancouver Island had 2 budgies for a few months... that's it.

Most Reactions