Full Spectrum lighting bird vs reptile lights?

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Another popular one I think was called Zoo Med? But after reading the reviews it seemed it was poorly constructed and at least half the reviewers said it fell apart. For $80 each I didn't want a cheap plastic light that would fall apart in a matter of weeks.

Then I came across the Featherlite company. They do make fixtures that can go on top of the cage or hang from the ceiling. They also sell the bulbs separately so that is what I went with. They do recommend you buy new bulbs each year so that is what I've been doing.

I can agree about Zoo Med ... I bought the light last week and it's a total piece of cr*p. It's going back. It's beyond flimsy. I've looked into the Featherlite based on other recommendations on here and I'll be going with two if those for my fids.

Malakian

Jul 15, 2020
I know this is a dead thread, but there was no definite anserw and I thought I'd chime in if anyone else googeling happen upon this.

As far as my research goes they seem to be the same. Arcadia PureSun bulb (Avian) is 2.8% UV-B 30% UV-A, Full spectrum.

Hari's bird bulb is 5% UV-B 30% UV-A, Full spectrum.

Both quality brands I trust.

ReptiSun 5.0 from ZooMed is again 5% UV-B 30% UV-A, Full spectrum.

ExoTerra UVB100 (Same as old 5.0), again, 5% UV-B 30% UV-A, Full spectrum.

So I buy the reptile bulbs, as they are easier to get, and 30-50% cheaper. Have not had any issues with over a years use.

Most Reactions