What's wrong, Puck?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
This morning when I got out of my shower Puck was acting weird. He had gone back up to the spot where he sleeps, and was making noises like he was in pain! He didn't want me to pick him up, but he eventually let me. I poked and prodded all over his little body and couldn't find any particular area that he was protective of. He is going through a little molt, so I thought maybe it was his pin feathers, but those didn't appear particularly tender.

Over about 20 minutes he gradually started complaining less, and now he's acting just fine!

I have a vet appointment for this afternoon, just to be safe. Work has been REALLY slow, so I would rather not spend the money, but I would feel terrible if this was a warning for an illness or injury, and I ignored it!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Remy it is possible he got out of bed on the wrong side so to speak.

But it's way better to be sure than sorry. You know how they are very good at hiding an illness.

I hope all is well with Puck.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
He was fine when he got out of bed, and when I went in the shower he was chattering and looking happy! Just a few minutes later (my showers aren't that long) he was acting like something was really wrong! He was also a little bit uncoordinated at first. I've been with him every moment since then, and now he's acting normal again, but I need to know that I've done everything I should have done, just to ease my conscience.

When I go the vet later, does anyone thing I should request anything if the vet doesn't suggest it, like a blood test or an x ray?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
good luck at vets an poor puck :( i like to think of it as growin pains lol

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Remy i don't mean to scare you but could he have had a little fit or seizure. Think if there is something there your vet needs to rule everything out. Lets hope there is nothing to worry about.

Make a note of everything you have noticed in the last 24 hours, that will give your vet something to work with.

Good Luck.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
The vet didn't find anything wrong. I had to rush out of there because she was running 40 minutes late and I had to get to work, so I didn't get to talk to her much. I left him there for observation for a while, since I was late for work, and she still didn't find anything. She even gave him a free pedicure. :)

So who knows? If it was a seizure, there's no way to tell. Maybe it a muscle cramp. I'll just keep an eye on him.

One odd thing though. She thinks she may have made clerical error with his weight at his last visit. Last visit said 80 grams, but today he weighed 141 grams. That's a HUGE difference, and he doesn't seem like he's changed size at all in the last 2 months. Weird.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
That is good news. I would think that the second weight would be right for a matured Caique. Even Vets are allowed an error sometimes. :)

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Yeah, after reading what caiques typically weigh, I think the 80g was an error. lol!

I got home from work about 9:20pm and he was already in his sleepy spot and won't come out to play! He came out and said hi but wouldn't get on my finger, and now he's back in his spot. I've never known him to put himself to bed before 10pm, and he often stays up a lot later. I hope he's okay. He did have a stressful day. The vet really stresses him out! I hope that's why he's tired. My poor baby!!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
This morning I took him in the bathroom with me while I took a shower (didn't take him in the shower though[yesterday he wasn't in the same room with me]). After I got out, he acted agitated and started making the same noise again! It didn't last as long this time, but it appeared to be the same behavior! He's never had an issue with the shower before, other than occasional annoyance.

I'm not sure why he's acting this way, but now I think it's a weird new behavior, as opposed to a health problem.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
maybe seein you wet kinda freaks him out??

nut knows when i am in uniform, i will be leaving house for work, so if she is not in her cage, when i put it on, she generally 9 times outta 10 will poop on it

nut squeals sometimes, sounds like the last bit of air being squeezed outta a bolloon, she will also pull her head back an forth, a few times, i am not sure if its high excitement or annoyance, so i leave her to it, she has never attacked any1 after this display, but i wouldn't want to test it to see lol

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I don't know!! He's showered with me tons of times, and I take a shower at least once a day. He did it again this morning too.

LOL Nut is so funny! She poops on your uniform on purpose!

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Hmmmm, I have never heard of this before in a caique and my Leroy has never done it...with your permission I would like to bring it up on my forum where I have caique owners...I would love to help you get to the bottom of this........

Most Reactions

Latest posts