Full spectrum lighting question

birdman247

Oct 25, 2009
I want to pic up a full spectrum light bulb for my bird, but i dont know if i should get the 15 watt or the 20 watt? which one should i get?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
This a point of disagreement among the forum members. From what I have read it is necessary for your birds health and I have the 20 watt bulb. It is on several times a week but not to excess. Rosie seems to love when it is on her. Two avaian vets also said to use this lighting system as the full spectrum does not penetrate glass. They are about $25 on Windy City and DR. Foster & Smith.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have read multiple books on this topic and get so many different answers. Because of that I just do it my way. I use the lighting for several hours. about 3 days per week. The best answer should come from our vets. I would give them a call if you have an avain vet.

ButterflyMommy

Mar 14, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I use a 20 watt, I have the AvianSun 5.0 Floor lamp, I like it, seems Jimmy approves as well. I am not so sure about how long/often to have it on, I am getting mixed messages. I think I am going to call the vet and ask on Monday.

featherhead

Apr 24, 2010
Media
Warwick NY
Parrots
Dakota-B/G Marley-B/G Bernie-Goffin Too Bubba-Cag Kokomo-Cag Maddan-B/F Amazon Beckie-S I Eclectus 3Teils
I have 2 types of full spectrum lights One is a bulb I screw into my light fixture in my ceiling fan and the other is a floor lamp I was told that the full spectrum lights do help the bird with making more vitimin D3 so they can properly use the calcium in their diets for strong bones The uvr also helps them see better I also heard that you should,nt use a reptile full spectrum bulb for reptiles cause it can hurt the birds eyes.

Last edited:

Most Reactions