veruka1973

Jan 2, 2015
Southeast Missouri
Parrots
Kooka-congo african grey 15 yrs old
Reg-DYH Amazon-5 yrs old
Petey-cockatiel-4 yrs old
Baby B&G Macaw-3+ months old
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I last posted, life has been mega busy for me.

I am a glutton for punishment I suppose, or turning into the crazy bird lady (according to my kids and husband lol)

My goffins baby "Binky" is almost weaned....well kind of almost.

So, I have hand raised almost all of my birds, I would prefer to hand raise them myself.

Well so my favorite bird guy had a bunch of Galahs....naturally I got one.

It is mega adorable!

This is only the 2nd cockatoo I have ever hand raised, I had a very lengthy and intense fear of anything cockatoo after being mangled by an older sulphur crested many years ago.

The goffins cried for feedings and attention as I expected, but nothing excessive. She still does from time to time.

Now this Galah? whole different ballgame, this adorable little pink monster cries A LOT.

He/She (not sure yet sent DNA card off today) does quiet down and sleep and is seeming to get a little less "intense" with it with each passing day.

I was told by many a breeder and bird owner that cockatoos are habitual whiners during hand feeding and weaning and even for some time after.

Anyone else have any experience with this, maybe share their story?

Just want to say, he/she is eating quite well and is in no way ill......just very vocal.

Oh, and I try to hold him/her to see if that will help stop the crying...good lord NO then it kicks it into supersonic crying lol even the sight of me sets the bird off like a siren!

It begs for feedings even when it's just been fed and is not really hungry.

He/She is approx. 6 weeks old.

Last edited:
Hello Veruka1973
I live in Australia and we have wild Galahs that live and breed in the neighbourhood. From what I have observed with a young wild Galah is that they cry consistently and for months. But it will stop.

Yes many of the cockatoos I have hand fed over the years were big babies. They will cry when they see you even after being fed, Eclectus do the same thing.:)

Thanks for the replies, I had people tell me that but you know something about listening to it for hours and hours makes you start having doubts lol

He/She has calmed down since I posted, Today he cried when he was hungry and cried after it was obvious he was full but then stopped shortly after.

I want to hold him like I did with my other babies but he cries soooooo much for sooo long, but today is a good sign that he's calming down a tad bit

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back