galah help!

ashley6

Jul 3, 2013
I just got a baby galah off a friend. I have a moluccan and a conure but this is a first for rb. She's 14 weeks old and I'm hand feeding her twice a day but when I'm not, she makes a constant growling noise like shes posessed. I've had her for 4 days now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. She'll step up, want to come out of her cage, climb right up to my shoulder- sometimes my head..although she prefers to growl directly into my ear drum. So my question to all who have had experience is, is this typical baby galah behavior? When she's in her cage and I am not near her she will try to talk a bit but the second I get near her the growling starts again..advice is greatly appreciated!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Is it anything like this video? I've never had a baby galah but I've seen several similar videos of babies. Don't most babies beg a lot until they reach the weaning stage? Hopefully someone can give some more useful info.

[ame="http://youtu.be/DJboNEqU7yc"]My Baby Galah is Crazy and its Driving Me Insane - YouTube[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF it's anything like the video above, yes that's pretty much what you go through when raising babies....lol....During weaning stage it can get to you cause it just goes on and on and on....

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh that brings back memories! Yep, our baby Galah, Aloysius, used to make that sound and lots of other disturbing ones besides. He was raised virtually from the egg when his parents were killed by farm dogs (they had nested in a fencepost). The farmer gave him to my Dad and Dad gave him to me to raise by hand. Aloysius and I were very close as a result. He used to help me do leatherwork.

One day, I had been working for hours on a tooled chessboard. I left Aloysius pottering around my bench while I nipped up to the house to have lunch. When I returned, good old Aloysius had nibbled hunks out of the perimeter of the board so that I had to cut a good half-inch off all around, destroying the balance of the design. I had to laugh, though. All the nibbles were perfectly equally spaced and looked as though they had been done with a machine! Aloysius died not long before my Dad did and I miss them both terribly.

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Yeah...your Galah is just hungry. Don't worry I make a similar noise when i am hungry too :p But seriously, it is just a thing that that hand-feeders have to go through...I thought galahs were the quietest of the cockatoos ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh that brings back memories! Yep, our baby Galah, Aloysius, used to make that sound and lots of other disturbing ones besides. He was raised virtually from the egg when his parents were killed by farm dogs (they had nested in a fencepost). The farmer gave him to my Dad and Dad gave him to me to raise by hand. Aloysius and I were very close as a result. He used to help me do leatherwork.

One day, I had been working for hours on a tooled chessboard. I left Aloysius pottering around my bench while I nipped up to the house to have lunch. When I returned, good old Aloysius had nibbled hunks out of the perimeter of the board so that I had to cut a good half-inch off all around, destroying the balance of the design. I had to laugh, though. All the nibbles were perfectly equally spaced and looked as though they had been done with a machine! Aloysius died not long before my Dad did and I miss them both terribly.

It brings back memories doesn't it....We always need to remember the fond memories! Thanks for sharing your story!!!!

OP
A

ashley6

Jul 3, 2013
That is exactly what she's doing! Thanks everyone. I was just concerned because she keeps it up all day.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Many galah breeder force wean their babies around 11-12weeks of age. :(

Your baby just needs more handfeedings. Probably thicker consistency too:) When she cries, offer her food:)

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I have a baby galah as well, he does this occasionally too! He will even do it when he is very full! Sometimes he just flies over after eating and does this (not quite that loud though, thank goodness!)

Most Reactions