MikuIa

Nov 27, 2015
Kansas City
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Senegal Parrot
Two Parakeets.
Hello, I've had my GCC for over a year now. She was under a year old when I got her. She and I bonded very quickly. She's been very sweet and cuddly up until now. Every time I bring her out of the cage she's been biting me, and hard! Even when she's away from her cage she's biting me. I've just been ignoring it. Another thing I want to mention is she becomes very aggressive when I am giving her food. Is there a way I can encourage her to stop biting? Thanks for any information!

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
Our GCC did this for a while too. They go through a "biting stage" when they're young. They can also be territorial with food. I think they can become over stimulated too when we get excited to see them :) For example, when you let her out of her cage, I would just open her door and walk away (vs grabbing her, perching her, talking to her, or whatever you might do). I found this helped with our GCC if I would open her door and either 1) walk away and say nothing and let her come out on her own, or 2) offer her my finger/arm to perch onto but not say anything when she perched (which is hard to not get excited to cuddle with them!). If she's biting you away from her cage, I would try not allowing her to perch on your head if she does, and maybe even not allowing her to perch on your shoulder for a while (this can be a dominance thing).

Also, GCC's are power packed little bundles of hot and cold LOL! One minute they love and snuggle with you, then next they're moody and grumpy! So I think you're doing great with ignoring the biting - I would also recommend if she bites that you set her away from you so she associates being separated from you with the bite. Good luck to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts