GCC Digging in food bowl?

PassionFluff

Apr 5, 2016
Long Island, New York
Hello all! I've been a long time lurker/bird owner and a fairly recent conure owner. I got my GCC Kirby a year ago and shes about 1 and a half years old. She's been displaying some... odd.. behavior of digging through her food in the past 7 or so months I'd like to say?

I'm assuming it's normal (for her at least) because she's still acting the same. I have stainless steel food bowls for her and whenever I give her pellets she sits in the bowl and digs her little beak through the bowl throwing out a lot of pellets before deciding to eat the bottom ones. She doesn't dig when I give her seed, only with pellets. My guess is that she's looking for seed at the bottom?

Does anyone else's conure do this? Or is Kirby just a strange little thing?

Thank you! :gcc:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sounds very normal and your assumption of looking for seeds/more preferable food at the bottom sounds about right

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Looking for better seeds or just playing with a food that is also a toy....think about it, it's a miniature ball pen of treats, and it makes NOISE! Yeah, whatever you're worried about it's fine.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird drives me nuts with his bowl-antics.
Ideas I've tried, with greater and lesser success.
Try smaller pellets... harder to play with.
Moisten the pellets a bit.
Put in only pellets or only other stuff.
I got a locked-in bowl because he was dumping the whole bowl!

Last edited:

Most Reactions