Daily routine?

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
Kobe the Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Hello all!

I am in the stages of preparing and researching heavily before bringing my new gcc home! The part I have the most fun thinking about and planning for is our daily routine together. Would any of you care to share your daily routine with your birds? I would love input as to how to keep to a sleeping schedule, the first few days home, and any training tips or just what living what a gcc is like in general!

Thanks!

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Sure :)

Mine changes depending on my workload. But in an ideal day, our routine is all in the morning. Kermit wakes me up at 6:30 in the morning, letting me know it's time to take her downstairs to her big play cage. The sleepy human faithfully brings the bird downstairs and goes back to sleep for another hour or two. By the time I wake up, I'm ready for breakfast and take Kermit out to play (who by then, has already played with my mother usually). I put her on my shoulder and we prepare breakfast together. If I have time, I'll make her a "birdie" version of my own breakfast or just fresh fruits and veggies :) Then she's out periodically throughout the day until it's time for bedtime.

A sleep schedule is super easy if you get a second sleep cage. It also gives their days more routine and structure, which can be helpful for these guys when you can't always give that to them. Kermit will let us know if we're late with her bedtime with a helpful scream.

Kermit is a goof, an attention hog, sometimes a bit of a brat, but all in all a good girl. I feel lucky to have gotten such an amazing little fluff <3

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My little "novel"... that spans decades of routines...

*deep breath* :)

I got the Rickeybird in 1984. I was in college and then grad school, so I spent LOTS of time with him. Then it was time to go to work!
There were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him.
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (Music channels, CNN - he loves talking heads), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crummy sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are good again.
Good luck to you. And welcome to the Forum... you'll get lots of empathy and advice here.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi and welcome :)

Firstly how you think its gonna be in your head, it probably wont be like that at first lol because I was the same 3 weeks ago when I got my first Parrot :)

The Parrot is gonna need time to settle before anything and this could be weeks/months depending on the personality of the bird because everything is going to be all new and scary as its whole world has just changed (this is where we put ourselves in the Parrots shoes) :)

Its lots of Patience and baby steps all the way at first and going at the birds pace. Your gonna want to play with it all the time at first and hold it just I like did then think it doesn't like you or get discouraged when it backs off scared or tries biting ect. Lots of patience is required :)

Sleeping wise mine has been really easy. I got a cosy corner and he loves sleeping in it and feels safe in there I guess, so he sleeps from 9:30 till 8:00 every day without fail.

As for routine I hand feed him pellets, fruit and try vegetables lol in the morning and let him get some exercise, practise step up and just talk to him a little before I go and the same when I get home really at the stage we are at now. I'm trying to incorporate bathing now into it every night too.

Your routine at first may be just sat talking to your bird lol getting him/her used to your voice but that's the best way to start.

They also like being involved, things like eating together is great, leaving the cage door open as much as you can is great too, even if the bird doesn't come out it will still feel like it isn't trapped or gonna be suck in a cage all day every day and if it lets you hand feed it then do it as often as you can because its great for bonding and building trust and gets them used to your hands.

Patience, tender, love and care and you wont go far wrong :) after 3 weeks I can really see a difference in my Parrot and now we are just learning step up as he is ready so were gonna practise that this week as much as he wants too and add that into the routine.

Don't get discouraged if your bird wont do much for a while ok, you gotta build trust before anything :)

OP
srdalyssa

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
A sleep schedule is super easy if you get a second sleep cage. It also gives their days more routine and structure, which can be helpful for these guys when you can't always give that to them. Kermit will let us know if we're late with her bedtime with a helpful scream.

What size is the cage and what do you keep in it? Thanks for the reply!

OP
srdalyssa

srdalyssa

Oct 8, 2017
Denver, CO
Parrots
I'm the obsessive type! I can at least daydream, right? Hehehe..I am trying to prepare for the challenges as well because as a child my parents gave my bird away after a couple of minor setbacks. I don't want to be that person! So, thanks for the advice!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Maybe don't worry about a routine just yet. Spend time with your bird when you can and work on bonding first.

I over worry too but I read somewhere that its not how much time, its the quality of time you spend together.

Don't over worry or over think everything, just include your bird as one of the family and when your bonded and comfy then you can do your routine and all the fun stuff :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with Carl, besides any plans you make will be obliterated by your new owner. You'll figure out a routine that works for both of you.

:gcc:

Most Reactions

Latest posts