GCC does nothing.

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
Icicis-Green Cheek Conure
I'm lost guys,

My green cheek conure Icicis does nothing all day long it seems like :(

Don't get me wrong, she gets at least 2 hours out a day, lots of interaction from me (I am her slave) haha

Her cage is 24x17x45 and FILLED with toys and fun things to do
her cage is located in the bonus room, I'm very upset by this because she does not get the attention from the rest of the family, just me up there. Im not allowed to bring her downstairs. :mad:

But I have tried everything and it's breaking my heart to just see her sit there in her Cage all day long.

Any body have any ideas?
Someone convince my parents that she would be much better off downstairs with us?

Thanks guys :):green2:

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
She really should be downstairs where the family is . Birds are very social and need to be with their flock , even if their flock are people and not other birds.
Do you have a radio or tv you could keep on for her ? that might help a little.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
She would be much happier where the family is. She is probably depressed. when We first got our blue fronted amazon all she would do is sit in the cage. We would leave the door open but she didn't want to come out at all. She wouldn't play with her toys either. We realized afterwards that she was very depressed. It took her a little time to come out of that. But we had her with us all of the time. She is very spoiled now. She plays with her toys and never wants to be in her cage except to sleep now. So hopefully you can talk your parents in to letting her join the family. She will do so much better. Good luck!

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
That's what I thought.
Depressed :(

She does have the radio, it doesn't help though.

Im going to show my parents this thread.

They definialty need to see this.
Thanks guys

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Awww that is so sad, She is very lonely. It would be like isolating a child from the rest of the family. Most people don't realize how birds enjoy the company of the family. Lot of people think they are content to stay in their cage and do nothing. She has probably just given up on everything and withdrawn. Your parents aren't being mean, they just don't understand the importance of birds being among the action. We take them and cage them up and they live their little lives out in total boredom if we don't interact with them. They have no flock to mingle with. And yes as stated earlier, your family is her flock. You might even consider getting her a friend which would at least help the situation if they don't want her downstairs.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Oh, I am sorry I thought you had a budgie, it is even worse with a green cheek, they want to be in the middle of everything you do and really should be out of the cage a lot. We call our Green cheek a little person, he does everything we do. This is the first green cheek I have had before I had a cockatiel and budgies many years ago.

You would be amazed how intelligent green cheeks are but can only develop if they interact. Ours has his cage door open all day long and comes and goes as he pleases. I am sure he is very depressed with no one around.
Try to give her as much attention as you possibly can. They really do act like people once they mingle with the entire family.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Birds are flock animals any way you look at it. If they are isolated from the flock they will be very unhappy and most likely start plucking. This is just like putting a child in a room by themselves. Birds need to be socialized and love people. Perhaps you can educate your parents.

Human Interaction: Keep your birdcage in a place where your birds will be able to frequently see and interact with the members of your family. Many birds love attention and would be bored and lonely in an empty, unused room. Make sure that you don’t put the cage in one of the high-traffic, high-volume centers of your house. While birds love interaction, too much noise and commotion will cause the bird to be anxious and could lead to health problems.

Socilization of your pet bird is as important as the diet and medical care. Most bird peope will have the bird with them at the meal table eating from their plate. They will take them places to meet other people. My GCC just loves people. Please let your parents know you will have a very depressed bird with behavior problems unless the cage can be placed where the family hangs out.
y
What is the real reason your parents want the bird upstairs? If you must keep the bird away from all the action then you may as well not have a bird.

Last edited:
OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
Thank you all for the AMAZING responses

They don't allow her downstairs because it wrecks te "look" of the house.
It irritates me so much that she can't be down there. Showing them this thread will hopefully educate them.

I'm always talking about how we are her flock, and she has to be always near us, but they think I've lost it or something :/

I want what is best for her.
I NEED her to be downstairs!!!

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Wrecks the look of the house? Wow there are so many pretty cages out there and can be very attractive. It is hard to believe they would punish the poor bird because of that. Maybe you should think either about getting a friend for the bird or rehoming to someone who would be able to give it the attention it deserves. Please be very careful though and ask all the right questions if you decide to rehome. You don't want it to end up in a worse situation than it already is. I certainly wish you the best you sound like a very caring and lovely person.
Try to have them imagine what it would be like for one of them to be kept in a separate room away from the rest of the family and never be aloowed to join in.. That is just too sad. I think they just don't realize how people oriented birds are. People sometimes just don't know unless they do their research and find out the intelligence level of these birds. Good luck. you are a sweetheart.

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Sorry for the situation you and your feathered companion are enduring.

Although not a GCC, Mac, our B&G wants to be part of the family. If locked away from the action, he lets everyone in the house know of his displeasure.

Birds are like children. They need attention, interaction, praise, discipline and training. It is definitely detrimental to keep the GCC or any other bird isolated from the "FLOCK".

Hope all works out well for all involve.

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
Thanks all again :)

It really upsets me.
Her cage is beautiful it's not one of those flimsy ugly cages, it's a nice powder coated cage.
It isn't a completely isolated room, its an open space room,looking over the downstairs area, she can see us, just not as much as I would like her too.

I really dont want to see her go. She is honestly my life.
We're leaving for a week, she went to a place where they keep birds while people go away on holidays, they take VERY good care of then :)

I'm going to bring up the cage moving when we get back.

I pray they will let her move.

Last edited:

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
If Aizen (our GCC) does not have someone in the room with him (he just needs to be able to see them), he is distressed. If he's out of his cage and we are out of the room - he comes and finds us, and if he can't find us, he flock calls. If we aren't in the house, he's quiet.

Every bird is different, but they are social creatures; I know that ours would be devastated if he was anywhere but the living room.

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
I've known they are social creatures from the start, I researched for months on every bird.

My parents wanted me to take responsibility for her, and I am by trying to move her downstairs and then I'm blocked and not allowed.

It's extremely frustrating.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
What is your schedule like? Is there a way that you could spend more than just 2 hours/day with her? It sounds like she is really depressed and desperately needs more bonding time. As previously mentioned, she may start plucking if nothing changes. I'm not sure how much control you have over your parents' decision; perhaps you've more control over your schedule and how much time you could devote to her.

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
It's summer here, she usually get WAY more than 2 hours a day.

The absolute minimum is 2 hours. She is always on my shoulder doing everything I do.
I try my hardest to include her with everything.

When I get home from camping I'm printing off this thread and showing them how much she needs this,

And if they don't listen to me, it breaks my heart but she would be better off in another home. It will literally kill me to see her go.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Well you obviously care a lot, and if the average is well over 2 hours, there may not be a problem. It could be just a phase, or maybe when you're out of the room, your Fid is going mad with the toys. Without a camera in there, how can one know?

I'm not saying it's optimal, I'm just saying that because you care so much, it may be worse in your eyes than it might be in others.

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
Maybe she does go crazy haha
Maybe setting up a camera for a day could work to see if it is just me being over protective or if she actually does nothing.

I think they will understand my reasoning.
My dog would go nuts if she was alone in a room all day long, while other people are conversing downstairs. Its the same with my GCC but even worse.

I have the perfect spot for her as well, in the main room, but she would be in a corner where she can still feel safe and secure, and nothing is there to disrupt the "look" of the house >:)

Please please work :)

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
hi , i think i know you ?

OP
I

Icicis

Jul 8, 2012
Edmonton
Parrots
Yes hi solo, it's lovebird lover from talk parrots :)

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
i thought so , i just didnt want to assume incase i was wrong :) great to see you here

Most Reactions

Latest posts