GCC is picky eater.. any suggestions?

knelly

Jul 9, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
We have had a GCC for 2 months. She is a picky eater and so far, we can't get her to eat pellets. Have tried Roudybush, Higgins and Harrisons. She likes Lefebers Nutriberries for conures, but thats about it. She only occasionally eats fresh fruit and veggies. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Corn, Peas, Carrots, and Hemp Seed

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Put a favourite in with some things not too keen on so has to forage about in it. At least she will get a little on her beak and you never know, one day?

Try adding homemade apple sauce to veggies, or little nut butter, grated favoured nuts - a little ingenuity and craftiness sometimes works oh and patience and perseverance.

The nutriberries are OK and what I gave Plum first of all (and still do) before he would eat any pellets, slowly he would then accept TOPs (nice smell) and now also Harrisons which were no go!

I am trying hard with my friends LPC to get him to eat some veggie chop by mixing sweetcorn in with it so he has to forage about in the chop to get it and I think (fingers crossed) he may have eaten some today! Sweetcorn is only thing he will eat at the mo!

Last edited:

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
My black capped is picky. As he adjusted he tried more they try more I think.

Mine likes scrambled eggs and will nibble on raw carrots . You just have to keep trying. I now only give seeds as treats . I mixed some pellets I have harrison potency he likes them. I mix them with zupreem I just got the fruit ones today he likes they. I was giving him zupreem natural he was a big fan of that.

Just keep trying.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
My black capped is picky. As he adjusted he tried more they try more I think.

Mine likes scrambled eggs and will nibble on raw carrots . You just have to keep trying. I now only give seeds as treats . I mixed some pellets I have harrison potency he likes them. I mix them with zupreem I just got the fruit ones today he likes they. I was giving him zupreem natural he was a big fan of that.

Just keep trying.

If he likes his eggs then that is an opportunity to mix in all sorts into it. Be careful on the frequency you feed egg though. If you look at the contents of the Zupreem Fruit Pellets do they contains artificial additives/colours? Sometimes if you give the 'not keen on food' first and then some minutes later the rest he may just have a go at it. Also can sprinkle few seeds on the top if he likes those, it is an encouragement to go look at least. Don't get discouraged it may come. :)

http://petgreencheekconure.com/green-cheek-conure-diet/

Last edited:

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
I had the same problem trying to convert JellyBean to pellets... so what I did is left his fruit and veg on a wooden platter and sprinkled the pellets around the nice things.. he started to try them.. and he now eats them reasonably well!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Also try eating in front of him. BB my baby 'tiel would not eat any nummies by himself,he preferred to WALK thru his plate instead :12:

One day I was here on the 'puter,having MY lunch,and he was on my shoulder,climbed down my arm to my plate,and helped himself to my lunch lol.

He now eats or samples a lot of stuff,and I don't mind sharing. I just wish he'd stop walking thru the gravy and smash 'tatoes :rolleyes:

Jim

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ā™€ GCC (Green Demon)
You might have some luck with kale. In my experience, birds seem to gravitate more to the leafy greens than fruits/veggies. If he still seems unsure, sprinkle some of his favorite seeds on top. He may be curious enough to at least put it in his beak :p Also cool about kale is it has a fun texture that he might enjoy shredding.

Most Reactions