GCC noise!

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been here but I need some help!

I got a GCC in 2012 and he's 2 years 7 months old now (not sure about the gender, but I've labeled him 'male'). He gets on with me and my mum and will occasionally fly to my dad, although they don't always get on.

Usually I go to work in the morning and come home around 5:30pm. Usually around 5:20pm Tich will start to scream as he knows I'm coming home but then he'll settle as soon as I'm there. He's always with someone during the day (mainly my mum) and we've never had a problem with him, but during the past 3-4 weeks he has been screaming non stop for hours in the afternoon and I'm not sure why.

Nothing has changed with the routine, no Christmas tree has been put up, nothing has changed within the house, etc... To say the least, my mum is at the end of her rag because of the noise.

Another point is... I used to get his wings clipped regularly but as his new flight feathers started to grow, he seemed a lot happier and he preformed tricks/step up 99% of the time so I have decided to keep him flighted for now. He's been able to fly for about 3-4 months.

I'm wondering if having his flight feathers in is causing this, but why would it start now?

What could be causing this? It's difficult for me to pinpoint as I'm not there to see what's happening. Just wondered if anyone has some advice.

Thanks all.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Is he caged or not during the day? Now when he wants to fly he might scream to get out of cage in case he is caged. I have my gcc completely cage free and put him to cage sometimes if he makes too much trouble. He would scream once in a while if I don't let him out.

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
I agree with Veimar, once my gcc got flighted, if I put him in the cage he got quite boisterous and noisy to get out... would your Mom feel comfortable to let him out until you got home?

OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
Thanks for the replies, both. He is caged for about 1-3 hours during the day (while my mum gets on with things without having to keep an eye on him, or if my niece is here) but he'll scream when out of his cage also sometimes. I'm wondering if he's just going through an awkward phase or puberty?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It isn't puberty at that age. Any time there is a sudden change of behavior like that which the cause is not clear, the bird needs to be taken to an avian vet. Screaming, plucking, and unexplained biting are often the first signs of illness, along with subtle weight loss. Your issue could be a trianing or stimulation issue, but I would rule out medical concerns asap.

Most Reactions