Help with the screaming

ShadyCrooks

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Jenday - Conure- Vladamore
I love my Jenday Valdy: however the screaming and social obsession is killing my family members. I just ignore the screaming, but he bites and screams at everyone else. How do I change the relationship so he doesn’t think I’m his property? My grandchildren are scared of him and he has bitten everyone multiple times unprovoked.

My husband has listened to this screaming for over 5 years. Valdy often flies to him and bites his neck. It’s getting to be that I have to put him up every time someone else is home or if talking on the phone. I don’t want to rehome him as I believe when you have a pet it’s for life; however, not sure what he is stressing about and wondering if that is affecting his health.

-He eats pellets and seeds, seed balls and some fruit. Virtually no vegetables, but will eat fresh steamed eggs. He is very active and has free range of a very large house. Free flight no clipped wings. He gets 12 to 14 hours of dark quiet sleep. The room temp is always good. He bathes every couple of days.

Open to suggestions as I want to keep him.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I have a Jenday, and a Sun. Neither one of them would I describe to be quiet. They love phone calls. That makes them instantly loud. Doorbells, my ring alarm, dusk, and dawn are all times that my conures want to be vocal. They are also notorious for contact calling. They are extremely social, and that’s how they communicate in the wild with their other conure friends. Toys, and attention seem to help with their vocalization. If I give them a nutri-berry, or something for them to forge they will be quiet for longer periods of time. Training with them will quiet them down temporarily too. I don’t think anything in this world is going to make my conures quiet. I wish there was more education on parrots before people adopt, or purchase them. A jenday & sun conure aren’t parrots I would ever recommend for anyone who is looking for a more quiet parrot.

For the biting… this is something that is also common. Parrots can pick favorites, and they can be very rude to strangers. It depends on the parrot, and their personal preferences. Trick training with the stranger (or not preferred person) can help some. I bribe my parrots with food. All of my parrots are food driven. My conures love sun flower seeds. My jenday I’ll have my nephews give her sun flower seeds to step up, and then to step down. I always have them engaged in an activity. It seems to help.

OP
ShadyCrooks

ShadyCrooks

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Jenday - Conure- Vladamore
Hi there, I have a Jenday, and a Sun. Neither one of them would I describe to be quiet. They love phone calls. That makes them instantly loud. Doorbells, my ring alarm, dusk, and dawn are all times that my conures want to be vocal. They are also notorious for contact calling. They are extremely social, and that’s how they communicate in the wild with their other conure friends. Toys, and attention seem to help with their vocalization. If I give them a nutri-berry, or something for them to forge they will be quiet for longer periods of time. Training with them will quiet them down temporarily too. I don’t think anything in this world is going to make my conures quiet. I wish there was more education on parrots before people adopt, or purchase them. A jenday & sun conure aren’t parrots I would ever recommend for anyone who is looking for a more quiet parrot.

For the biting… this is something that is also common. Parrots can pick favorites, and they can be very rude to strangers. It depends on the parrot, and their personal preferences. Trick training with the stranger (or not preferred person) can help some. I bribe my parrots with food. All of my parrots are food driven. My conures love sun flower seeds. My jenday I’ll have my nephews give her sun flower seeds to step up, and then to step down. I always have them engaged in an activity. It seems to help.
Agreed. I knew nothing about parrots. I had originally purchased Valdy for my granddaughter. Quickly realizing this is not a type of bird for a child. So I rehomed him to my house. I do love him very much. Rehoming doesn’t seem like a great idea as some people just want to breed more of them. I want to stay away from that. I have done some training, he is a very smart bird. But man sometimes the bites draw blood and it hurts really bad. I know the things that set him off so I put him up if I am folding laundry or trying write on paper. Could I be giving him too much free rein around the house? He is only in his cage at night. I work from home so I am always home.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Agreed. I knew nothing about parrots. I had originally purchased Valdy for my granddaughter. Quickly realizing this is not a type of bird for a child. So I rehomed him to my house. I do love him very much. Rehoming doesn’t seem like a great idea as some people just want to breed more of them. I want to stay away from that. I have done some training, he is a very smart bird. But man sometimes the bites draw blood and it hurts really bad. I know the things that set him off so I put him up if I am folding laundry or trying write on paper. Could I be giving him too much free rein around the house? He is only in his cage at night. I work from home so I am always home.
Parrot bites aren’t delightful. Especially when they draw blood. Luckily mine usually just warn me most of the time. If they do bite me, and draw blood I hang out with them more intentionally. Because if they are biting to go back to their cage I don’t want to encourage that. It depends on the parrot if that’s what they are doing. Charlie my sun conure will get stuck in my hair a lot of times when he doesn’t want to go back to his cage. He will fly right into my hair, and create a huge mess. Then I have to spend time getting him out. He loves it! My jenday has bit my husband (draws blood) when he tries to put her in her cage. He puts her immediately in her cage after she does this, and walks away. We do our best to draw boundaries with the parrots. They do draw boundaries for their human friends. However they don’t understand personal space. Especially if they are bounded to you. I could spend 1 hour with my conures, or an entire day. It’s never enough time from their perspective. I just train with them, and try to keep things enriched when I have them out of their cage.

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
IMG_1722.jpeg
IMG_1725.jpeg

Also I forgot to mention. Conures are “beaky”. I have my Jenday chewing through one of my bird shirts I wear around the house, and my sun is chewing on my fingers (yes at the same time). Sometimes they need to be taught that their biting hurts. They can be like a teething child.

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
View attachment 57320View attachment 57321
Also I forgot to mention. Conures are “beaky”. I have my Jenday chewing through one of my bird shirts I wear around the house, and my sun is chewing on my fingers (yes at the same time). Sometimes they need to be taught that their biting hurts. They can be like a teething child.
My sun loves my thumbs! He uses them to pet himself. Sometimes he tries to nibble on the nail and doesn’t understand he’s going to ruin his scritcher!

Peachesandme

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
Peaches - Sun Conure
Unfortunately Jendays and Suns aren’t know for being quiet! My sunny free roams around the house and essentially doesn’t scream unless he’s in his cage or bored, but he’s aggressive to anyone but me. My only solution for aggression would be to put your parrot in time-out for a few minutes any time he bites. I hope this helps!

petunia

Jan 8, 2024
Parrots
Unfortunately Jendays and Suns aren’t know for being quiet! My sunny free roams around the house and essentially doesn’t scream unless he’s in his cage or bored, but he’s aggressive to anyone but me. My only solution for aggression would be to put your parrot in time-out for a few minutes any time he bites. I hope this helps!
I do the same with Valentine, fortunately her nips haven't drawn blood but when she nips I immediately put her in her cage for at least 15 mins. It works!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts