GCC over preening - how to stop it?

Tzutzik

Oct 20, 2023
Parrots
GCC
Hi,
I have a 1yo GCC and lately (for the past month) I noticed his feathers are ragged, it turns out heā€™s chewing, shredding(?) them when preening.
He does not pluck and seems to be molting now. Is it normal? Is there any way to make him stop doing this to his own feathers? I donā€™t want it to become a lifetime habit.
Any advice?
Thanks!
IMG_4130.jpeg

Zainabals

Nov 22, 2023
Media
Albums
Kuwait
Parrots
Lorikeet
Hey,
Iā€™m sorry your little guy is going through this.

Iā€™m no bird expert but how about chew toys? The kinds that mimic feathers to preen to help distract him.
Is he getting enough attention?

OP
Tzutzik

Tzutzik

Oct 20, 2023
Parrots
GCC
Hey,
Iā€™m sorry your little guy is going through this.

Iā€™m no bird expert but how about chew toys? The kinds that mimic feathers to preen to help distract him.
Is he getting enough attention?
Thank you, I will try getting him more toys, hopefully heā€™ll prefer chewing them than his own feathers. I would say heā€™s getting enough attention as I work from home and heā€™s with me outside of the cage most of the day.

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Thank you, I will try getting him more toys, hopefully heā€™ll prefer chewing them than his own feathers. I would say heā€™s getting enough attention as I work from home and heā€™s with me outside of the cage most of the day.
Maybe the birb is stressed from some noises or something you can't hear idk how well birds ears are but I know dogs can get pretty stressed out about some types of noises

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi,
I have a 1yo GCC and lately (for the past month) I noticed his feathers are ragged, it turns out heā€™s chewing, shredding(?) them when preening.
He does not pluck and seems to be molting now. Is it normal? Is there any way to make him stop doing this to his own feathers? I donā€™t want it to become a lifetime habit.
Any advice?
Thanks!View attachment 56392
It does look like he's shredded some of his feathers. I would bring him to an avian vet to rule out any medical reasons for this behavior and get some professional advice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts