GCC - Purchasing Strategies

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Yellow-sided GCC - Cuzco | Cin. pearl pied tiel - Tilli
Hi again!

Well, congrats, conure folks. Conures won out over caiques. The determining factor was energy level - I decided my boyfriend would be much more likely to enjoy a bird that will calm down long enough to chill with him, and the caique owners laughed about that idea. I personally think I'd get used to the constant energy and enjoy it. But I love me some conures too, and they sound like a closer fit to our lifestyle as a whole.

SO. THE NEXT STEP! As much as I would LOVE to have one of the larger conures (peach-fronteds, duskies, and blue-crowns are so freakin' adorable), I think a green cheek is our best bet, given that we live in an apartment and Boyfriend isn't well accustomed to birdie noise.

I met some babies at the breeders' shop today (yay!). They were cute as all heck... but kind of fearful. Not as bitey and anxious as the older one we held on a previous visit, but certainly uninterested in being scratched and much more interested in being somewhere that WASN'T the hands of a stranger. I can't blame them. But I am wondering how normal that behavior is? The babies are about 5 or 6 weeks old, I think?

Anyway, it stuck out to me a bit, because when I first met my cockatiel, she was relatively content to sit on my hand on her own, and was totally fine and comfy hanging out with me from the first day I brought her home. But I already knew she was kind of a special case... It just means I don't really have a good point of reference. So, is the kind of shy, nervous behavior of the babies the norm?

The other thing that I noticed was that they all seemed... well, pretty much the same. I've been having hopes that I could just go around and browse baby birds until I meet one that is just... right, you know? But now I'm starting to think that's a kind of idealistic way of going about it. And possibly risky, since it gives other people the chance to snatch up the "choice" babies. In any case, none of the ones I met today really blew my mind or anything, so it occurs to me that maybe that's just how it's going to be and so choosing one in person might not matter as much.

So here's my other question: is it better to keep browsing, hoping to find a bird with the "right personality," when that might not happen at all?

Or should I get on waitlists for my preferred sex and color, and jump on the opportunity to get that, even if it means not really getting to see the bird's personality much first?

I definitely want a male (long story, available in my intro thread if you're interested, but in short, I lost my beloved tiel to egg-laying complications, and it was hideously traumatic, so I don't want to even have a CHANCE of that happening again).

And ... well, I'm really in love with yellow-sideds. I love the dark heads GCCs naturally have, the smooth black beaks... but those bright yellow bellies are just so gorgeous! I liked the normal GCCs I met today, but I keep feeling like what I really wanted is a yellow-sided.

So, what do you all think? I'm going with a couple assumptions here, the first being that most of the young babies are going to be pretty similar and the second being that pretty much any baby I get should be young enough to work with. So it's not like I'm going to be saddled with some butthead of a baby and be angry that I didn't get to choose a "nicer" one. But maybe that's a naive assumption?

It's a tricky question. There are a number of breeders within an hour or so of where I live, so I'd stand a better chance at getting what I really want as far as sex and color if I get on some waitlists and forget worrying about meeting ALL THE BABIES EVER. Timing matters as well, because I'm going to be out of state for a while this spring/summer. Getting on waitlists and just going for the right sex and color rather than meeting each bird really opens up my options. But if it would be risky in terms of getting a good-natured bird... maybe I would wait.

Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with this?

(Also, feel free to share the wonders of green cheeks. Seriously. I am getting tired of second-guessing myself, looking at poicephalus and everything, so I need to hear even more about the awesomeness of these little conures... need to convince myself even further that YES, these are the ultimate choice. :p)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I love my conures but its always a bit of a I don't know how this is going to turn out when getting a baby. Have you thought about looking into local bird shelters for a conure? That why you are more likely to be picked out by a bird?

The babies can be a bit shy and nervous especially at that age but a well socialized baby can be in your face talk to me! My one gcc that I got as a baby is my least social/cuddly one. As a baby he was much more likely to sit and play with you but now that he is older he doesn't want to as much as before. My other gcc I got as a 6 month old and she was always a character and has only gotten more social as she got older. So you never know how a baby will turn out in the end.

I absolutely love conures! I am definitely a conure/cockatoo person. My female gcc will follow me around where ever I go and she loves to snuggle up to my neck and sleep. She also knows a couple tricks like how to hang upside down on one foot and lay on her back until I flip her back over. She will also sit and chat with me for a very long time about god knows what... She also loves to chase around the cats...she seems to think its some kind of game...

I honestly don't know what to tell you about finding that baby that just fits. It could take forever or tomorrow to find that one that is super special. If you want a bird right now then I would get on a waitlist to get the color/sex you want. Personality is a throw up a lot of the time. I would suggest a shelter bird since most are past maturity and find one who will pick you. However, I just got my sun from a breeder and he is just so much fun as a baby right now. Either way you will probably get a sweet bird but it is possible to get one that is sweet but not overly interested in talking with you all the time when he is older(like my male gcc).

Sorry if this is not overly helpful:D

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hello!

I thought I'd chime in here about my experience with our yellow sided green cheek conure....Franklin.

He's AWESOME!!!

So, we stopped into Petco to browse for some supplies for our tiels. Franklin saw us the minute we stepped through the door. We had absolutely zero intention of buying a bird...especially at THOSE prices. And of course, as most people tend to be, we were a little leary of buying from a chain pet store.

Anyway...from across the store, we watched him eyeball us and start bopping his head, scratching the plexi-glass with his foot, BEGGING to get out! Naturally we walked up to him and said hi and did all our little "birdie talk" to him...he started regurgitating...running back and forth, putting his foot up in a pleading way to PLEASE let me come hang out with you! PLEASE!!! He bounced around some more, and my husband and I were completely captured with him, the associate said...WOW! I've seen him excited but I've NEVER seen him like this...he's REALLY showing off for you!...then he put his head between his legs...did a summersault and while laying on his back, craned his head back to look at us with the exasperated look of..."Nnnnnooooooow, will you take me home!?!?!"

I looked over at my husband, he at I and that was it...we got the associate to get Franklin out and he's been with us ever since. He was just shy of 9 or 10 weeks old.

He's going to be 3 years old in March....and I can't imagine life without him. He's learned several words, phrases...such as - Him a good boy? what'cha doin? Hello, Frank the Tank, Frankieeeee, and Give kiss! he sweet talks himself to sleep every night, saying...pretty pretty, pretty pretty pretty birdie, sucha pretty birdie...he whispers himself that every single night when the lights go out...but interestingly enough...he's NEVER said it during the day. He's also never done another summersault...ever! Hahahaha!! Apparently that trick was his one time only ditch effort at sealing the deal to his forever home.:rainbow1:

As with any bird...there are challenges...especially as they go through their hormonal stages. We've been bitten, yelled at in birdie language, back talked to in birdie language, we've been challenged, we've been snubbed, we've been loved, cuddled with, regurgitated on, humped, forced to share our dinner, tea, juice etc...we are his human jungle gym...he sometimes plays "favorites" between me and my husband...sometimes he only wants mommie, sometimes he only wants daddy and for no particular reason. Frankie was recently mad at me, for no reason other then he ONLY wanted to be with Daddy... for 3 months! (Shaking my head.... Little stinker!)

He LOVES to "cook" with mommie and taste test everything! He even loves to do dishes with mommie...constantly running down my arm when I'm rinsing the dishes to play in the water.

He truly is a BIG parrot personality in a tiny body. Only 62 grams.

We wouldn't have bought a conure if Franklin didn't pick us. And I don't think our relationship would be nearly as fun and rewarding if we'd decided...hey! Let's go buy a conure and just brought one home. Maybe...but I guess I'll never know.

If you can hold out for that "special" one...I would. You'll know when you find him. But I must say...that is no guarantee that you'll have a successful relationship. Parrots are highly opinionated individuals with minds of their own.

There's quite a few pictures of Franklin in my profile albums (that show his multiple personalities, ;) hahahahaha....have a look!

I don't think you can go wrong with a conure. They are truly something special.

Good Luck and I hope you find yours soon!

Toni

Last edited:

argylebird

Aug 31, 2013
Kentucky
Parrots
Argyle, a Yellow sided GCC hatched 6/13/13 and Fiji, a turquoise GCC born June 2015
I was in no way, shape or form looking for a bird when argyle came into my life. I had owned parakeets as a kid, and have always loved and been fascinated by parrots, but never thought I could afford or handle one.

Last August, about a week before I was going back to nursing school, I went into a petshop with a friend who was looking for a special type of newt. We had just left the state fair, and were an hour and a half from home. I was wandering around thie store, and saw this small, brightly colored bird sticking his head through the bars of a cage and trying with all his might to get out. There was no label or anything, so I didn't know anything except that this bird wanted out now! I asked an employee, who took him out. He went straight to me, went up to my shoulder and burrowed in my hair, happy as a clam. I passed him around to my friends, and he was willing to go, but clearly preferred me. The staff said they had only had him a couple hours and had no info on him. I didn't want to jump into something I wasn't prepared for, so I didn't buy him initially. I went home and did research and thought about it. Even though the timing was terrible I couldn't get him out of my mind, so I called and asked them to hold him till I could come back. I found out he was an 8 week old yellow sided GCC. I still don't know the sex, but in my mind he's a boy.

Argyle chose me, and because of it our relationship is very strong. He's very good with strangers, and my roommate handles him daily and takes him out when I'm busy with school, but he isn't as cuddly or comfortable with her. I don't think I would have as good of a relationship if he hadn't chosen me...

Good luck in your search for that bird that says "I'm yours!"

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I was thinking about this thread again...and thought I'd point out...since Franklin...I, of course, visit this and other pet stores pretty often, always needing something :) OF COURSE, I'm always pulled to the bird display first thing to see what's in.

In the 3 years since our purchase of Franklin, have I/we haven't met a bird of any breed, who seemed to take to us the way Franklin did immediately.

Sure, we've seen cute ones, beautiful ones, unique ones, every one of them I say...awwww....look at you! Aren't YOU cute! But none have had the personality and captured me/us to the point of pulling out the check book again. (phew!)

I'm grateful every day that we just went with our gut and took the plunge with Franklin. Otherwise, I know myself...to this day I'd be saying to my husband...remember that little Franklin bird at the petstore??? ..... :D

Toni

OP
Kisota

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

I guess part of my concern is timing and availability. There's only a few breeders close enough for me to just pop by to meet birds. So if I depend on them, I'm going to have a limited selection and only have opportunities very few times.

The reason that's tricky is because I'm going to be out of town for six weeks during prime baby season... and because there's a good chance I'm going to be moving in a year. I don't want to bring a baby home if I'm going to be moving almost immediately... and as I don't know yet to where I'd be moving, I don't know if I'll even be able to find a breeder after the move. :/

I would definitely "take the plunge" and buy any bird that wanted so badly to come with me (well, anything within reason, haha). But I worry a little about whether I can count on that happening. I HAVE met some SERIOUSLY adorable greencheeks in pet stores before, little guy who would shuffle sideways almost faster than the eye could see, just to get to your hand and be scratched.

But if I wait, hoping that all these visits will turn up a bird that just really likes me... it might not happen at all, let alone in a timeframe that would be workable.

THANK YOU, Nakiska, for the words about Franklin. He sounds just adorable!! And the photos you have are definitely great.

Any more thoughts? We haven't heard from anyone yet who ordered a baby before meeting it or had their birdie shipped. Still curious if that works out or tends to be a toss-up...

Fledgling

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Parrots
Pepper: Maroon-Bellied Conure
When we were looking around and shopping, I think our biggest concern was finding a conure whose personality echoed what we were looking for. We considered caiques too! And we weren't above looking at other breeds, but I was always picturing us getting a conure because of size and personality.

We came across a lot of shy and aggressive conures in both pet stores and bird stores alike. We were kind of stumped for awhile, and decided to put off bird shopping, especially since we knew we would be moving soon. We didn't think it was time.

Then we saw Pepper, a maroon-bellied conure. She wasn't tame either, but she hit each of the points we wanted in a conure: curious, playful, outgoing, wanting attention. We knew she would be a "project" (I type this with bandaids on my fingers XD) but we also could see the kind of bird she would be.

You seem to have a clear picture of what you want in a bird with all your investigation and research. I think that going to a breeder could be a great idea. But don't settle on a bird from a store that you don't have a connection to. Our big rule was: If the bird isn't happy to see us... it may not be the right bird for us.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
I got my Sun conure from a breeder. She had four almost weaned babies and one DNA sexed female that was six months old. In the teeny room she housed all the kiddos, the parents, and a large umbrella Too. It was quite possibly the loudest experience of my life. Lol. There was no way I would have been able to choose a bird by personality because they were all screaming and flying all over. I decided to "wing it" and chose the weaned female. She has been perfection from day one. Never could tell the sweet, semi quiet personality, was in that room. Lol. She has settled in nicely and after two months has become one of the family. So glad I took a risk with her:).

Before I got my Sun baby I had purchased a green cheek from petco on a whim. She was very sweet in the store and I was surprised that she had been there for almost a year because out of all of the little birds she was the only one that was not hand shy. However, she became aggressive when we got her home. Had it just been me I would have stuck with her and worked with her, but I have four kids and she was coming out of her cage and would se sweet as can be then unexpectedly lunge and draw blood on anyone close. I just couldn't risk it with my kids. I had to return her:(. I have still avoided that particular store because I don't want to see her cute face behind plexi. I felt like the worst person ever, but she just wasn't a fit for us.

Anyways, there's my stories. I also have a cockatiel and a bare eyed too. All three are perfect little birds so far and we are excited to have them in our family. I hope you also find a new love soon!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I hate to point this out mangie but most birds going through terrible twos can get a bit unpredictable. It sounds like the gcc was around the right age for it. I've been bitten by bare eyes before and they do more damage than a gcc just want you to be prepared that the biting can happen with any parrot going through maturity or even being territorial or pushing boundaries.:white1:

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Absolutely prepared. But not right from the get go. I was a california registered veterinary technician and have worked with birds for years. The terrible twos happen, but trying to get the kids used to a new bird during it was not a smart move. She was just over a year old though. 14 months I think. Could have been maturity. Could have been some psychological stuff from being caged at petco for so many months. I have no doubt she will be a great bird for someone. Just not us.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Oh good. I don't know why but the way it was worded had me worried! I think I might be feeling a little pessimistic or cynical or something after visiting the bird rescue! I need to play with a bunch of baby birds lol

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Easy to do with so many sad stories that end up in rescues:-(. I fear I'd become a bird hoarder of I went to one and then be really in over my head. Lol. I was one of those impulse buyers (it's the Aries in me). But fortunately I am also logical and somewhat versed in bird. I am not the kind of gal to rehome animals (all three of my 16-18 year old chihuahuas died last year, had them all since pups). It was very hard to return the little miss but I also wanted to make sure we were starting off on a fairly good foot for the family. And as sad as it was, it was meant to be because I was able to adopt my sassy little beaky Sun:). Her terrible twos will no doubt rival the toos. Hahaha.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I met Kiwi at the pet store, without any intention of bringing any sort of pet home. She was a baby, only a few months old, but she already loved people. She came right up to me and pressed herself on the bars to be scratched. When they took her out, she hopped on me and cuddled in my elbow.

So yeah..I would wait for the perfect one, take your time, get one that is already tame because it'll probably save you a lot of time and frustration. You can probably find a good breeder who has already tamed the babies for you, so you can take your baby home and start the bonding process without having to tame the fear of humans out of them.

OP
Kisota

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Hmmm... thanks for the thoughts so far, everyone.

I'm feeling a little defeated, I guess, because it seems unlikely that I'm going to be able to just come across the "right" bird. :/ We have one breeder in town (possibly two; waiting for an email response to see if this other is still in business, but not looking good so far). I -really- want to buy from a breeder, though. I want to know the background of the bird.

But the lack of breeders in easy visiting distance makes this whole thing pretty tricky. There may be some an hour or so away, but if I want one that far, I'll probably need to get on a waitlist, put down a deposit... and then when I go to pick the bird up would be the first time I'd really meet it. I suppose there's always the option of backing out and kissing the deposit (and DNA sexing cost) bye.

It's just really tricky. I could also go down and visit the babies, but if again, nothing really jumps out, it's kind of a frustrating waste. And if I do like one, there's the DNA sexing to worry about (or just deal with the risk of having a female, and have to think of potential egg-laying, which makes me super anxious just thinking about).

What I'd REALLY like is to get the sex and mutation of bird I want from the breeder here in town. They're well-reviewed, I've met them several times and interacted with their birds, and I like the way they run things. I'd be able to get a very young bird and get started on taming, training, and various mental stimulation really early.

Problems being, of course, that they have just a handful of greencheek pairs. I still need to ask if any of the pairs can produce male yellow-sideds. Even if they can, the odds of that showing up perfectly right during a time I can get it is... not that good. :/

It's just so discouraging. I was hoping that opening my options up by considering buying a baby I haven't met would help, but it seems like everyone's saying not to do that. It's just that my other options are so limited. And if I wait around until I get back from out of state, it'll be July, and the odds of babies showing up will be less. If I wait until next spring, I just probably can't go through with this, because I don't know when/if I'll be moving.

Unless a near-miracle occurs, it just looks like I'd have to make a pretty big sacrifice here - choose a sex/color I don't really want, or try to buy before meeting. I hadn't thought the second option would be that risky with impressionable little babies, but I'm not feeling very encouraged about it.

;-; Just depressing. Bird shopping and planning started out really exciting, since I've been dying for this opportunity for years, but it's just turning out so discouraging.

/gripe

Fledgling

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Parrots
Pepper: Maroon-Bellied Conure
Kisota,

I understand your frustration. Around here, there is ONE bird store. ONE. The breeder thing was the same with us too, they live at least an hour away, and we were afraid of not meeting the bird before hand. That's why we just by chance found one in a pet store (also, the only pet store that carries conures in our area).

I have no experience with breeders, so I can't really advise you on whether or not that's definitely the way to go... but.... I think you've kind of hit the nail on the head with your options. Either your really patient and get exactly what you want, or you compromise on the color. I wouldn't compromise on the sex if you're traumatized by a past experience. But the color thing I would encourage you to look past.

Maybe make a list of the most important things about the bird to you in order. Like:

1. Conure
2. Great personality/ "clicks with us"
3. Male
4. Yellow-sided

Maybe that may put things in perspective?

I think this is the same problem that many people have with any pet: dog, cat, or bird. If you want a specific breed, color, and gender you may be left with few options. So you have to focus on what is really important to you in this pet.

I have a feeling that if you find the perfect little conure with a great temperament, you won't even realize if it's a yellow-sided or not :)

But honestly, this is your bird and your choice. I hope it works out! And if you stick out for a yellow-sided, I hope your wait won't be too long!

OP
Kisota

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Yup, you're right, Fledgling. You got the priorities about right (although, honestly, the "clicking" goes above "conure" in my mind! ;) There are some other species I would probably go for if it was just... right!)

I only recently decided that I might wait for a yellow-sided. It's kind of a silly thing to be picky about, so yes, if I found a GCC that was male and just liked me a lot, I'd certainly not care about the color so much (although I do -really- prefer the normal colorations vs. the ones that include cinnamon, haha).

It's just hard. It's really hard finding opportunities to interact with birds at all, let alone babies of the right age and species. I emailed the breeder I like so much today to ask about whether they even produce the sex/color combo I like best, whether they have anyone on the waitlists for those, and what the availability may be like through the summer.

Honestly, though, I think one of my major hesitations with the "find one that clicks" route is that I'm not convinced I will find one that just clicks. That seems like kind of a rare moment to hold out for, particularly since the babies I'm looking at at the breeders' are young enough to be kind of shy.

It's so hard. There's just so many complicating factors. :/

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I feel your frustration! The only bird I've clicked with right away at the first meeting was just last Sunday when I met a troubled cockatoo rescue. I've had birds for 6 or 7 years now! So if I had held out it would have taken that long to find a bird I clicked with and no way would I have been prepared to deal with him if I hadn't had any birds yet.

Sometimes a lot of time and effort will cause a just blah relationship with a bird to blossom into a really close bond. My female gcc that follows me around now liked my mother much more than me when she first came home. She would talk to me but her interest was my mother I thought I would have to leave her when ever I moved out. A couple years later and she is most definitely my bird. I click with her now even though I didn't at first! The time and effort it took to earn that relationship makes it feel like such an accomplishment! It still makes me super happy whenever she follows me when I leave a room even though she has the option of hanging out with her own kind instead of me:D

OP
Kisota

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
I feel your frustration! The only bird I've clicked with right away at the first meeting was just last Sunday when I met a troubled cockatoo rescue. I've had birds for 6 or 7 years now! So if I had held out it would have taken that long to find a bird I clicked with and no way would I have been prepared to deal with him if I hadn't had any birds yet.

Sometimes a lot of time and effort will cause a just blah relationship with a bird to blossom into a really close bond. My female gcc that follows me around now liked my mother much more than me when she first came home. She would talk to me but her interest was my mother I thought I would have to leave her when ever I moved out. A couple years later and she is most definitely my bird. I click with her now even though I didn't at first! The time and effort it took to earn that relationship makes it feel like such an accomplishment! It still makes me super happy whenever she follows me when I leave a room even though she has the option of hanging out with her own kind instead of me:D

THANK YOU. I'm a little relieved. I was starting to think I was the only one who'd never had a magical slo-mo movie-music "click" moment with a bird. Even when I met my cockatiel, it wasn't like she jumped up to snuggle me. She sat on my hand looking sleepy and I loved her instantly anyway. She WAS pretty unusually sweet and relaxed as soon as we got her home, though.

I've met plenty of friendly birds, from the caique I held at a pet store to one or two very outgoing GCCs, also at stores, to the breeders' poicephalus parrots. The Senegal calmly sticks his head against the bars of his cage whenever he sees me.

But I've never met any really young birds, especially at a breeder, that acted particularly special. I chose my tiel because she was SO beautiful. Little cinnamon whiteface pearl pied! :white1: I really appreciate your thoughts. I've been doing so much second-guessing myself and it's making me have a hard time feeling confident enough to take any further action in finding a bird. :'c

It's great to hear that even rocky relationships can get better. :) I imagine that's generally easier with younger birds, as well. So even if I had a baby shipped and it wasn't super amazing at the start, I think things would be fine. Does that sound reasonable?

I've also talked to people elsewhere who had birds shipped from good breeders and said the experience was fantastic and the birds were great right from the start. Anybody have similar experiences to that? I'd also be delighted to hear some breeder recommendations. I found another thread where people were saying Something Cheeky was a good place to buy from, and it seems like people like Rita Garris a lot, too. I'm prioritizing where I buy by who is closer because shipping is expensive and seems hard on the birds, but I'm definitely open to shipping if I found a good reputable breeder who raises really good birds.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I think that sounds perfectly reasonable! I'm still laughing at the slow motion first click meeting except I see the owner getting bit on her nose when they finally reach each other...

AmysAviary is a good breeder that ships. I got my turquoise green cheek from her. She socializes everyone really well and feeds them a lot of different mixes that she makes up herself. BirdieBrainsAviary is also a good breeder that ships. I'm not sure what conures she does besides the sun (where I got mine). I think she also does caiques. I know she does macaws, cockatoos, and amazons but not sure about the little ones as much! The only thing I didn't like about either was the clipped wings. I don't really like clipping wings so young but that is just personal preference.

My sun was great from the very start. Very social and loved to get into everything. He rolled onto his back within the first week to play! The first time I met him was when I drove down to pick him up. He was very shy and withdrawn at the breeders but once at home he turned into a very outgoing little bird.

OP
Kisota

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestions, Riddick. You've been so much help. I'll be sure to do some research on the aviaries you mentioned as well.

I agree with you about the wing clip. I know the breeder in town would oblige me with no clipping (yet another thing I like about them), but I don't know if I could get another breeder to agree to it. Something to think about.

Anyway, it looks like I've got a lot to think about. I'm going to be doing some looking at my budget soon and seeing how manageable shipping would be if it had to happen that way. Any other suggestions for breeders, shipping, or anything else are much appreciated!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts