GCC won't use cage to climb

shewildwolf

Apr 29, 2013
Parrots
GCC
Hey everyone.. new GCC owner here.. and I have a question.

Bailey is adjusting fairly well to her new home. Not sure if any of you read my intro but I "rescued" her from one of the pet shops close to here this past Saturday. She went to the vet yesterday and he said she looked great, which we were very happy to hear... and I say 'she' now because he felt around and said he is about 90% sure she's a she. :D

Anyway, I have a question. I keep reading that GCC's love to climb, but my Bailey will NOT use her cage bars to climb like our cockatiel does. He is all over his cage all the time, between the perches and the sides of the cage, etc.

The vet clipped her nails yesterday and she seems a bit off balance since then. I guess she is not used to having to grip the perches as tight as she needs to now? And she will just not use the cage bars to climb... is this normal behavior being so new to our home? I'm asking because when she tries to get from top area of the cage where the comfort perch is to a perch in front of the door to come see us, she tries to use the perches in between the two as steps.. and with the nail trim yesterday and being a bit clumsy, she has missed her mark twice and half fallen to the bottom of the cage, though she lands on her feet.. and then looks at me like "WTF?!" She also will not climb out of the cage to the perch up in the open top, even though the comfort perch is arranged so that she can reach the top of the cage with her beak to boost up.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/YML-20-Inch-Parrot-Stand-Black/dp/B0002A6VCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367419667&sr=8-2&keywords=YML+cage"]Here[/ame] is the cage we have, and besides the 2 large perches she has a comfort perch and 2 natural wood perches with a smaller diameter. Should I move all the perches closer together for now or will she get a better grip within the next day or so? And with the not wanting to climb.. is that just a comfort thing in her new home?

Thanks for any help.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
She is getting use to her claws not being as sharp. Also give her time to adjust in her cage. I am sure she will be fine!

OP
S

shewildwolf

Apr 29, 2013
Parrots
GCC
Thank you. I really hope that's all it is. She is not the most active of birds yet, but it's still been less than a week. I'm also having trouble finding toys she is interested in, but maybe that's the newness as well. She will occasionally step up and when she is on our arm or hand she will almost tell us where she wants to go. If we move a bit towards her play gym and that's what she wants she will bounce, but if we move her towards the cage or somewhere she doesn't want, she will nip a bit. It's very cute how she tries to communicate already.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I agree, I think she just needs time to adjust to her nails being trimmed and time to adjust to her new environment. Many birds take time to get used to new toys. Add being in a new environment and it ads more things to be nervous about. Things will improve with time. Just keep doing what you are doing and be patient. She will be bouncing around her cage before you know and tearing into those toys! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts