Gcc

Bella10

Oct 25, 2020
Hi everyone I have some questions I hope you can help me :)

1 week ago I rehome 2 GCC from a guy they about 1,5 years old .

They both very very scared of everything:(
He told me one is a female and one male.
I don’t know how much time should I give them to use to the house.
Female bite a lot and very hard.
Male little less more friendly but you can’t touch them or pick up.
Should I separate them or keep it together I don’t know I’m trying to read every post.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome! Thank you for giving these two a home!

First, housing together: the answer is easy. If they lived together in their old home, and they don’t fight with each other, then you are fine to keep them together. If they were kept separately, then you need to keep them separately.

As far as timing, that really is up to them. If they aren’t stepping up for you yet, don’t push it. Move at their space. Keep them on your living room where the most action is in the home, and talk to them, given them treats, go gently with them. They will come around eventually.

They will clearly tell you when they are ready to be handled.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, welcome
Thank you for taking in 2 green cheeks. I would not separate them parrots bond so deeply.

Many if us here on the forum are going through struggles to become friends. with our parrots . While each of our stories are different. 2 things seem to always apply. First it takes patience much more than you think, and longer than you think. You are earning their trust, you are showing by your actions that you can be trusted. Second bribes of food like seeds by hand work wonders.

If you are getting bit you are rushing them and crowding them. This is going to take baby steps.
I myself have a new quaker who is afraid of hands. We are in week 3. He trusts me enough now to take seeds or treats by hand, to kiss him on his head and to let me pet him sometimes. But it is slow going.
Birds are scared when they change homes. And some burds are afraid if new things at first even toys.

It helps to explain everything to them as you feed water . To make routines and to greet them .

Parrots are very sensitive to fumes in rge home and somethings can kill them in seconds, like teflon and nonstick coating. When these heat up the fumes kill them. If yiu haven't had parrots before let us know so we can provide yiu a list of things that can kill birds quickly. And also a list have safe and healthy veggies you need to offer as part if their diet. Cage size and oerch types snd toys and things to shred are important to
I find it hard to explain how to make freinds.
I have two articles that I think are very helpful and I will link them .

.https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited:

Most Reactions