G'day

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
I must be the only Australian that hates Australia :eek: hahahaha

I would move overseas any day of the week ;)

:D

That's because you're in Queensland! Try some of the other states:) Tasmania perhaps...

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
That's because you're in Queensland! Try some of the other states:) Tasmania perhaps...

Hahaha went to Tasmania! Nothing special, still not cold enough ;)

Although i do like the idea of living on this little island off Tasmania, theres hardly anyone there.. Would be very peaceful hahaha Maybe me and Fargo will move to the island one day! :rolleyes:

But that still doesnt solve the accent problem!!
Australians have the worst accents in the world! :09:

This thread is just a little off topic :54:

Fairmark

Sep 15, 2013
Fairview Park, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Blue Quaker
Wow...I can relate to the parent situation. My mother went from driving her VW bug all over the country to being in a "skilled care facility" after a major stroke. I am several hundred miles closer that my sister. Good luck and God bless with that issue. I DO ENVY YOU YOUR LOCATION!!! I would have an outdoor aviary all year round. The one we have at our rescue is limited in its use during the spring, fall, winter...some summer months....:(.

Mark

OP
Aluminum

Aluminum

Sep 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Parrots
"Geddy" Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Thanks all for the welcome!
I have been reading up on the forum here and am finding a lot of good stuff.
I am in market for cages and possibly an air cleaner for my place as it can get dusty here but do not know if that is needed or recommended.
Also if anyone is or knows of a good breeder in the Phoenix Arizona area that would be helpful.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome to the forum :D

Hahaha went to Tasmania! Nothing special, still not cold enough ;)

Although i do like the idea of living on this little island off Tasmania, theres hardly anyone there.. Would be very peaceful hahaha Maybe me and Fargo will move to the island one day! :rolleyes:

But that still doesnt solve the accent problem!!
Australians have the worst accents in the world! :09:

This thread is just a little off topic :54:

I've always LOVED australian accents, I think they're totally AWESOME! I saw this guy when I was at Mavericks with the strongest australian accent and I was just thinking like "OMG OMG OMG OMG just keep talking" LOL! I also love Romanian accents, while on a cruise to Alaska our waiters were Romanian! I loved listening to them talk haha

It's so cool when people have accents, my accent(if it can even be called that, to me it sounds like the prime example for "no accent") is so boring, it's so not special what so ever D:

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
When my daughter went on a school trip to Italy, the highlight of her visit to the Palatine Hill was a lady from Carolina who was enchanted by the group's Aussie accents. Little did she know the great joy the girls had at her own accent and the fact that she called them 'all y'all'! They still remember it affectionately these few years later. :D

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Hahahaha I HATE the sun and heat!!!

All summer and spring i just have the aircon on :p

Australia is wayyyyy too hot for me, and i dont like australian accents :rolleyes: :09:

I would prefer to live somewhere like ireland where its just always dark and rainy ;)

Where we live is ok i guess, just surrounded by mountains, so at least its peaceful!

I've never heard an Australian yet say they "Hate the Oz accent" (unless it came out of the mouth of our recently departed lady PM:)). Actually, it varies a bit with location (distance from large cities) and education level/school. It would be hard to find anything wrong with Educated Australian.

If you thought Tasmania too warm, you must have gone to the wrong part. I'm retiring there but chose the least cold part (the northeast coast) as while I dislike muggy heat intensely, I'm not overly keen on constant brass monkey weather either! I'd suggest that Hobart is no hotter than Ireland, on average, although if you like lots of drizzle, fog, rain and mist, Ireland would be better. Failing that- the Faroe Islands are looking for new blood (North of UK- I've actually sailed past them).

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I've never heard an Australian yet say they "Hate the Oz accent" (unless it came out of the mouth of our recently departed lady PM:)). Actually, it varies a bit with location (distance from large cities) and education level/school. It would be hard to find anything wrong with Educated Australian.

If you thought Tasmania too warm, you must have gone to the wrong part. I'm retiring there but chose the least cold part (the northeast coast) as while I dislike muggy heat intensely, I'm not overly keen on constant brass monkey weather either! I'd suggest that Hobart is no hotter than Ireland, on average, although if you like lots of drizzle, fog, rain and mist, Ireland would be better. Failing that- the Faroe Islands are looking for new blood (North of UK- I've actually sailed past them).

That is because, my mum is english ;) So all my family is over in England!

Any type of Australian accent is bad, especially the reallyyyy country slang type people..

Most people cant hear the accents of their own country, but all i do is cringe when any Australian talks hahahaha

And i dont really have any Australian friends :20: hahaha So really the only Australian accent i hear much is my dads!

A vet came out to check my horse and she asked me 'Where are you from, your accent isnt Australian' :p

Just this past year my accent has gotten less and less Australian by itself!

I cant remember where we went in Tasmania, went to the airport, then stayed somewhere, and went and looked at penguins at night time?

and yes i prefer alot of rain and darkness!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Ah, that explains it, you're "kinda" English. There are a lot of regional accents in UK that others like to rubbish, Geordie, Berkshire, Cockney etc. Actually it's amusing to hear elements of Cockney find their way into Estuary dialect (which is the "big thing" now). Frankly, I can't imagine why educated people would want to say "bah-er" instead of "butter":) I'm into accents and don't really dislike many -used to hate South African, like it now, still can't handle American Black English simply because I can barely understand a word! Youngsters seem to be able to cope better, probably from US TV shows, which I very rarely watch (only British comedy is actually funny lol)..

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ah, that explains it, you're "kinda" English. There are a lot of regional accents in UK that others like to rubbish, Geordie, Berkshire, Cockney etc. Actually it's amusing to hear elements of Cockney find their way into Estuary dialect (which is the "big thing" now). Frankly, I can't imagine why educated people would want to say "bah-er" instead of "butter":) I'm into accents and don't really dislike many -used to hate South African, like it now, still can't handle American Black English simply because I can barely understand a word! Youngsters seem to be able to cope better, probably from US TV shows, which I very rarely watch (only British comedy is actually funny lol)..

Hahahaha Geordie accents are hilarious..

I watch every type of tv show, so i understand all the different english accents.. Love Alan partridge, the mighty boosh, black books, spaced, garth merenghis, it crowd, idiot abroad, young ones, extras...

We own about 120 different shows, either english or american... so all the american accents are fine too.. but not a huge fan of any american accent.. they are boring to me, but they dont irritate me like australian!

Just prefer english, irish or scottish ;) Like manchester accents though, just like Karl Pilkington :rolleyes:

AussieChris

Sep 6, 2013
ACT Australia
Parrots
Galah
Hello,

I like to hear NZ accents. Most of the Pom ones are OK, but some adds are a bit grating I find. Same as US, I find many accents interesting, like Swamp people. Other I dont like, but that is also because of the spelling, many words to me are mispronounced. Living here, I still notice slight accents depending on where people are from.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Just prefer english, irish or scottish ;) Like manchester accents though, just like Karl Pilkington :rolleyes:

Crikey, we've really hijacked Aluminum's thread!

Speaking of Mancunians, are you aware of Guy Garvey and his group named after a body part:)?

Chris, I had a former Kiwi partner with a broad accent ant it put me off for years....

Aluminium, are you named thus because you are a machinist? Do you actually machine much aluminium, and what for? I ask coz I'm into bikes and cars. Plus many of my family are/were fitter/machinists, including my late Dad.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha hey at least Aluminum gets to read about us Australians ;)

New zealands have a funny accent, love it.. Its kind of just like the funny nicer version of an Australian accent..

I never really cared for it, until i watched Flight of the conchords and loved them!

Question, what do people do when they come to australia to visit though?

The only tourist thing i can think of is the great barrier reef.. and the gold coast has all the big theme parks

Main thing is everything is so far apart.. So you would spend more time driving places then actually seeing places?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Tab, did you know that Australia and the US are pretty much the same size? Just a factoid for you to think about.

When people come here, they like to:
- look at our wildlife, which is vastly different from everywhere else
- bask in our sunshine which, I'm told, is also vastly different from everywhere else
- swim at our beaches, which are exceptionally clean and golden and have great surf
- visit our national parks, which have interesting stuff in them, such as aboriginal rock art (among the oldest in the world) or living fossils (like the recently-discovered Wollemi Pine) or ancient species like the Cassowary or the Wombat or the Salt-water Crocodile
- enjoy our lifestyle, which is also different from elsewhere and which is, largely, engaged in outdoors
- have a barbie (not a barbecue or a braai or a cookout: a *barbie* which contains prawns and sausages and beer)
- drive across the Nullarbor, the Great Sandy Desert or the Kimberley, which are all well worth seeing
- visit Ayers Rock (sorry, I'm that old), which is the largest inselberg in the world and which is surrounded by amazingly unique geology
- visit other worthy places like the Warrumbungles, the Katherine Gorge, Kakadu, the South West Corner, the Koorong, Lake Eyre, Lake George and Cape York Peninsula
- visit Newcastle, which is a *wonderful* place to be and which is a great starting point for beaches, mountains, lakes, rivers, wine-country and even Sydney!
- visit Sydney, which is historic and bustling and interesting and almost as good as Newcastle, but not quite.

Does that help??? :D

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yes but i wouldnt visit America either cause there is nothing there that would interest me ;) hahahaha

Ok, that kind of makes sense, so basically you have to be a very outdoors type of person to come to Australia, because you want to see the wildlife and scenery ?

Kind of makes sense why i dont like it here then, hate the beach, dont eat meat or drink beer ;)

Havent been to a beach since 2006 :eek:

and just dont enjoy looking at wildlife, rocks, lakes.. Just get no enjoyment at looking at things! To me ayers rock is just a big rock :S hahaha

Been to Sydney, was absolutely terrible, but that is because i hate being around people hahahaha

Oh gosh.. I really just need to move to the little island HAHA ;)

But yes, it does make sense for most people!

Ah well, each to their own! :p

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Tab, did you know that Australia and the US are pretty much the same size? Just a factoid for you to think about.

When people come here, they like to:
- look at our wildlife, which is vastly different from everywhere else
- bask in our sunshine which, I'm told, is also vastly different from everywhere else
- swim at our beaches, which are exceptionally clean and golden and have great surf
- visit our national parks, which have interesting stuff in them, such as aboriginal rock art (among the oldest in the world) or living fossils (like the recently-discovered Wollemi Pine) or ancient species like the Cassowary or the Wombat or the Salt-water Crocodile
- enjoy our lifestyle, which is also different from elsewhere and which is, largely, engaged in outdoors
- have a barbie (not a barbecue or a braai or a cookout: a *barbie* which contains prawns and sausages and beer)
- drive across the Nullarbor, the Great Sandy Desert or the Kimberley, which are all well worth seeing
- visit Ayers Rock (sorry, I'm that old), which is the largest inselberg in the world and which is surrounded by amazingly unique geology
- visit other worthy places like the Warrumbungles, the Katherine Gorge, Kakadu, the South West Corner, the Koorong, Lake Eyre, Lake George and Cape York Peninsula
- visit Newcastle, which is a *wonderful* place to be and which is a great starting point for beaches, mountains, lakes, rivers, wine-country and even Sydney!
- visit Sydney, which is historic and bustling and interesting and almost as good as Newcastle, but not quite.

Does that help??? :D

I'm back in WA and I can tell you, there are hordes of Grey Nomads and backpackers at this time of year. To your list you could add Monkey Mia (dolphins) and Ningaloo Reef (whale watching and snorkelling).

Yes, Oz is roughly the same size as contiguous US (i.e. not counting Alaska). About 8 million sq. km. I've covered quite a few of them (thankfully not on foot:)).

AussieChris

Sep 6, 2013
ACT Australia
Parrots
Galah
Hello,

There is a huge amount to see and do. I doubt anyone who was born here would want to leave. Space, yes. If you come from a crowded Country or City, it must be quite a difference to drive for a day and only see one or two towns. Apart from Wildlife found no where else, it is quite a safe country to travel and explore. We have Gold and Gemstones, and natural wonders to look at. You could take a 4x out for a day, and not see anybody. Camp by a nice river and catch some fish for a meal. Everybody has different interests, and many people would travel just to see their favourite wildlife in the bush. Where else can you see a Platypus in the wild ?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yeah but if you want to see cool animals in the wild, why not go to Africa where you can see lions and monkeys and giraffes :p

I would prefer to see a lion rather than a possum ;) hahaha

I have never even seen a platypus haha :') Prefer polar bears and penguins :p

I would love to leave, but i never can cause of Fargo! So i am stuck here, will just have to find a husband with a nice accent ;)

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yeah but if you want to see cool animals in the wild, why not go to Africa where you can see lions and monkeys and giraffes :p

I would prefer to see a lion rather than a possum ;) hahaha

I have never even seen a platypus haha :') Prefer polar bears and penguins :p

I would love to leave, but i never can cause of Fargo! So i am stuck here, will just have to find a husband with a nice accent ;)

I've only ever seen one playpus in the wild, and that was Tasmania years ago.

Good luck finding a non-Australian accented husband in Australia, Tab:):)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahahaha Thank you... the search is on! But apparently lots of irish and english people come to Australia, so who knows :54:

Might of scared Aluminum off! :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts