General cage/conure questions

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
We currently did some house remodeling and the Fids cage is a bit of a issue. We have 2 Conures who are both in the same cage 30x30x50 living space . 2 Questions.. 1st, Would is be cruel to drop the size down a bit, Say 20 x 30 and go taller. 2nd, Should I look into a upper/ lower cage type and separate them? They get along and snuggle to sleep but Kiwi can be a pest to Mango at times when I feed them or just do a walk by head scratch. We are moving the cage around a corner from where they have always been. Still in the view of everything just not blocking all walkways. I put a new Play stand where the cage was so they still get family tv time . Do the bottom caged bird get upset in those double deckers? Yes full of thoughts today :)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Well, I don't personally think anyone enjoys going from ample room to much less. A 10 inch difference is quite large for a bird, and it's always better to go bigger than smaller. That is, however, an acceptable cage size. I do know a lot of parronts use those stacker cages, and I don't think they've had issues with a parrot disliking being on the bottom cage, but your birds will tell you that themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go smaller. I'd get something similar in size with no more than a 6" difference. But that comes down to personal preference and affordability, too :p

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Have a look for a different shape. I have a cage sort of in my hallway, but because it is narrow-ish compared to other cages, it is ok to move past. Also, I have an indoor cage for my galah in my office-y room which is absolutely chocablock with stuff. I got a triangular shape (curved on fronts, 2 straight sides) I've got it basically in the doorway and in front and beside other stuff. There's no way you'd ever think a cage could even go in that room, but I've managed to squeeze this in there. Have a look what's available, there might be something that would work better still with room, but organised differently.

Most Reactions

Latest posts