Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Larry Bird" Quaker, 12 years
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
"Duke" B&G Macaw 22 years
"Pepper" GW Macaw 6 years
I realize I am probably getting in over my head, again. I recently got a 22 year old B&G Macaw and am having such a great time with him. When I found Duke, I had been looking for a Green Wing Macaw, but didn't find a good match, until right when I found Duke. I haven't been able to get the green wing off my mind and decided I'm going to get him too. Pepper is much younger, only 6 years old. What can and should I expect from this new addition? How long to let everyone warm up before being near each other outside of their cages? I have had Duke around my CAG but they haven't gone near each other, just hung out on their own tree stands. I know I'm still in the honeymoon period with Duke, but like I said he has been such a joy. I can take him just about everywhere. I think Pepper is going to need some work and time as he has only been in his current home since May and hasn't been handled much there, but wants to. I am not sure if he is beginning to pluck some of his feathers out of boredom. Honestly that's one of the reasons I can't get him off my mind, he's supper sweet, but looks like he's so lonely. I just can't stand the thought of this sweet bird wasting away in a cage 24/7 with no one around that wants him. (The family is getting divorced). So plz plz plz help me out. You all have been so helpful reading everything here. Thanks

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
Lots of wood
Lots of wood
And make sure you stock up on wood.

Honestly, keep them separated for a bit. When you introduce birds, you need to take it slow. Watch them closely and never leave them alone unsupervised. I would wait until you've formed some sort of bond with both of them before even allowing them close. Getting in between 2 macaws fighting isn't something I'd want to do. In fact, I'd avoid that at all costs.

You'll be able to tell by their body language if they're going to get along or not. Bear in mind they could easily tolerate each other one day and not at all the next. 6 years old, I'd expect some hormonal mood swings. That's right about the time macaws start to mature. It might be a bumpy ride for the next year or so.

OP
Lis

Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
What about having their cages in the same room but bringing them out one at a time? I'm good on the wood, I live on 5 fairly wooded acres with tons of mulberry bushes, apple and pear trees. I was kind of hoping Duke might adjust since he is still adjusting to everything here anyway. How long is the hormonal phase last?

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
I've put birds in the same room in cages. I've even had known enemies out at the same time. However, be mindful of the body language. I had my last B&G on my arm one day and merely said hello to her arch nemesis. She bit me on the neck for talking to the green amazon enemy.

The hormonal phase can last up to a few years, depending on the bird. You WILL get bit during this time. A lot, in fact. It's probably the most critical point in their lives where you need to pay attention to what they're trying to tell you and what body language they're showing you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did you not practice quarantine before introducing the birds??? If not, did you at least had a vet visit for a check up?

It is ok to have them in same room, but you should think about a air purifier with a CAG as a lot of Macaws are allergic to their powder dust that Greys, Cockatoos, and Cockatiels create. IF I remember right the hormone period lasts around 4-5 weeks? But when Willie went through his major hormone it lasted much longer then that, I thought it was never going to end.

With the types of wood you want to use, please do look up what is toxic and what is safe to use. Not all wood are safe to use for birds! Please view on one of the websites here ---> Safe and Dangerous Woods

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm smirking here, remembering the time I brought home my Ripley (the GW). That was only in January. I thought to myself "How much more work can one additional macaw possibly be?" :54: The answer to that in MY case was QUADRUPLE. :eek:

Both my big macs must have been beavers in their previous lives because they go through an ungodly amount of wood on a daily basis. The lumber yard knows me by my first name. I buy 3 pieces of 2X4s each and every month. Those 3 long pieces give me about 100 HUGE chunks of wood.

Oh, and they demolish their expensive Java trees, too. :11:

Then there is the "noise" factor. When they both go at it - which fortunately isn't often or for long periods of time - I have to either leave the house or go upstairs and close the door. Forget watching TV, talking on the phone or having a conversation when they are both going at it.

Please have a look at this thread. I posted about MacMesses ;)
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/27542-macaw-chores-big-mess-makers.html

I know your mind is already made up about getting the GW, but please know what you are getting into. :)

I am VERY VERY lucky because my 2 big macs get along GREAT (most of the time). They spend at least 6 hours/day on the combined Java trees together. Their cages are next to each other.

Best of luck. It will be an adventure - no doubt.

GinaF

Aug 13, 2013
Utah
Parrots
B&G macaw
Always always always quarantine birds until ALL of the results of the vet work are back. 30 days is the rule.

I always preferred to keep them on a separate floor behind a closed door, wash your hands and change your clothes before handling your other birds.

OP
Lis

Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
Did you not practice quarantine before introducing the birds??? If not, did you at least had a vet visit for a check up?

It is ok to have them in same room, but you should think about a air purifier with a CAG as a lot of Macaws are allergic to their powder dust that Greys, Cockatoos, and Cockatiels create. IF I remember right the hormone period lasts around 4-5 weeks? But when Willie went through his major hormone it lasted much longer then that, I thought it was never going to end.

With the types of wood you want to use, please do look up what is toxic and what is safe to use. Not all wood are safe to use for birds! Please view on one of the websites here ---> Safe and Dangerous Woods

Duke has been to the vet, a couple of days before coming here. But he is living in the parlor, my other two are in the living room. I have had Duke in there briefly,but that's about it.

I have checked out the topic tress, I'm too afraid to use anything but the ones I mentioned since I wouldn't be sure. The thing that would be nice to know...we don't use any chemicals on our property so we wouldn't have to question that.

I have defiantly noticed the noise volume from Duke. My husband Steve has given me that look like OMG!! But I'm very fortunate that while we live in a very old (150 years) and large house, that I sometimes feel will be the death of me. The BIG plus...all the interior walls are 3 bricks thick and exterior are 4 bricks thick. So I have not be able to hear Duke in my room, that will save my marriage.

OP
Lis

Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
Always always always quarantine birds until ALL of the results of the vet work are back. 30 days is the rule.

I always preferred to keep them on a separate floor behind a closed door, wash your hands and change your clothes before handling your other birds.

They aren't on different floors but the living room and parlor do have doors that are closed.

Most Reactions