Getting a macaw?!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hey all :)
I've been upset today about all the macaws on preloved and how they need a good home but right now is really not the time I'd be able to do something like that. I am however getting in touch with people and trying to get most rehomed via them, (for which I'll try and give you updates about!)

However when I went to my local breeders pet store today, where I got Merlin&my budgie's from, I was going there with the intention of picking up some boxes that I could use to transport my budgies from my current home to where I'll be moving to in a weeks time!

The breeder did come in whilst I was there and I took the opportunity to ask him when he would have some macaws ready. - Just my luck, his breeding b&g pair are on eggs at the moment! So we're looking at around late december/janaury when I'd be able to take one home with me. When he breeds birds I can't deny, they are always fantastic little chaps, I was playing with some blue fronted amazons in the store earlier, only 16 weeks I think he said. (Not quite ready to leave him yet but they're on solids too). He said he'd help me out with a cage setup properly for a macaw etc.

I told him about how I'd rehomed the cockatoo and he was all "wow, she's really something isn't she?" and I asked how much the macaw would be and looks like I'll be getting one fairly cheap! Hurrah!

So, I'm off to do as much in depth research as I can about them so there isn't a shred of knowledge I don't have about them, along with plenty more youtube videos. (My fav part of bird research :D)
&Now just to save every scrap of money I can possibly find. :blue1:
If anyone has any cage suggestions or anything they'd like to recommend for keeping a macaw, it'd be more than welcome! I'm hoping for max £200 on a cage, but I guess that depends on what I can find :)

I hope Merlin likes his new brother/sister. He is my first priority and if Merlin starts showing signs of real distress about this new bird then I would have to return/rehome, but that would be a last resort!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
woo-hoo!! the best place to look for a cage is ebay! I got a montana denver corner cage on there for £150 and they're usually about £500! x

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
woo-hoo!! the best place to look for a cage is ebay! I got a montana denver corner cage on there for £150 and they're usually about £500! x

I'm so excited, my birthday is in november and obviously xmas would be coming up before I get the macaw too... so hopefully I'll have plenty of money for him and the cage and toys etcetc. SO EXCITED.

Looking on amazon at the moment, but I will have a mooch around on ebay! :)
WEEEEEEEEE

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hambleton-8-Parrot-Cage-5035538000142/dp/B004QV78CM/ref=sr_1_28?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1313940267&sr=1-28]Hambleton 8 Parrot Cage: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Was looking at something similar to this, I think it'd be big enough for a macaw, but it's less than £200! :D

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
ooh thats a great price!! also instead of birthday pressies and xmas gifts you could ask for parrot supplies, toys, cage, food etc!! and money towards the macaw!!

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
ooh thats a great price!! also instead of birthday pressies and xmas gifts you could ask for parrot supplies, toys, cage, food etc!! and money towards the macaw!!

EXACTLY MY PLAN! :D
My other half owes me around £200, so that's the cage sorted. The Macaw I'd be getting for 800, so I need another 1-200 for toys+extras at the minimum!

Just gonna do some quick math:
owed: 200
should get about 400 by dec.
got 50 on me atm.
+then some for bday/xmas, hopefully. (dunno how much tho!)
some money from selling my guitar, some money from selling my bike. at least 150 in total.

800 so far? Then I'll HAVE to get a job, work my little ill bum off, and just earn the rest I guess!

Being a 18 y/o with a chronic illness sucks, I'm entitled to no benefits and noone wants to hire me because of what I have, hurrah for little money!

I'm currently on websites looking at toys and stuff so I can spoil them all rotten. Merlin is terrible with toys (he doesnt play with them -_-) so I haven't really had the chance to be super excited about him and toys, but macaws go through them like... well... very quickly!

Also, there was a kid in the store who looked at the amazons "theyre just like the birds from Rio, except they were blue!" I was so tempted to correct him. :blue:

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Sometimes you can get super good deals on huge cages on craigslist.....I would get one but most of the big cheap ones have 1 inch bar spacing (too big for a conure but perfect for a b&g!!!)
I got my $350 dollar cage on craigslist for $120
edit: for my birthday I asked for petco gift cards, perches, toys, etc and I got A LOT!! INCLUDING 135 DOLLARS TO PETCO LOL!!!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
type in scarletts parrot essentials into google. thats where i get my toys from. this toy below is £7.50 and its HUGE! angel has had it a few months and its still in good condition!! there's lots of toys on there some for £1 (but those ones are for budgies and tiel size)
http://scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/images/Coconut toy0143.JPG

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
type in scarletts parrot essentials into google. thats where i get my toys from. this toy below is £7.50 and its HUGE! angel has had it a few months and its still in good condition!! there's lots of toys on there some for £1 (but those ones are for budgies and tiel size)
http://scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/images/Coconut toy0143.JPG

Thats the website I'm on at the moment! I think all my birds need a bit of spoiling from here to be honest, everywhere else I look toys are so expensive. So I'll definitely be asking for money to go towards birdy stuff. My parents will roll their eyes but they'll understand. Years ago I asked for a bigger cage for my budgie as my bday present, they were surprised but I was like 'of course! seeing her happy makes me happy!'

I think from here on in I'll just save everything I posssssssibly can, so I can get my macaw and spoil the rest rotten :D

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Sometimes you can get super good deals on huge cages on craigslist.....I would get one but most of the big cheap ones have 1 inch bar spacing (too big for a conure but perfect for a b&g!!!)
I got my $350 dollar cage on craigslist for $120
edit: for my birthday I asked for petco gift cards, perches, toys, etc and I got A LOT!! INCLUDING 135 DOLLARS TO PETCO LOL!!!

Didn't know craigslist was something I could use in the uk, I'll have a look! Most are 'must collect' on lots of adverts, which I'd be unable to do, but I'm sure I'll find one good enough!

+ that's great, thats the sort of things I do. "What do you want for xmas?' "Well, the guys need new toys..."

I don't have kids, parrots have to get spoilt instead. :D

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
:D
Have you thought of 'work from home'. You have a computer & a internet connection. FREE computer work at home jobs in USA, Canada and UK, free data entry,free typing job, transcription, freelance writing, customer support, customer service try this link, I'm looking into too. It would work w/my husband & I for me to work from home. We had no life when we were both working, theres just too much to take care of.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it. It'd be great if I could freelance because it means that I'd still get income without the hassle of having to 'attend' work, which is difficult 'cause of my illness. Means less worry about the birds too :)

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I feel like I'm pregnant y'know! Few months to go until the baby arrives and then I should HOPEFULLY have baby for the rest of my life, which I'm hoping is a good long time! Merlin took some considering, but he just won me over completely, I could take him anywhere. My only real worry about this is... if I don't have enough money by the time needed and... noise for neighbours... ho hum. :(

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol netto's own for now and council pop!!! shame you cant collect as ebay normally have some good deals with cages!

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
lol netto's own for now and council pop!!! shame you cant collect as ebay normally have some good deals with cages!

I know, it's annoying that I can't collect, but alas.

I think as a parront I should be entitled to child benefits and all the works ;)
I'm fine with shopping at aldi/lidl, as long as there is one near by!

Otherwise we're all just going on a diet. Haha!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
you never know and you could land lucky with some1 very near you selling a cage etc and yes parrots should get an allowance from the government!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would be very leary of any ad that offers to pay you while you work at home. Most of these ads are a con especially if you have to pay any money up front.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Oh I forgot your in the uk...im not sure if you have it there.
There is classifieds.co.uk and you can search for cages on there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts