Getting another cockatiel..need advice

suzcg

Apr 8, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiel
Sorry for the long post

I had two cockatiels (both 1.5 years old) one got sick...sleeping a lot, I noticed this on a Sunday. I took him to the vet on the Monday, they took some blood and gave me some antibiotics for him. I went and got a heat lamp, baby bird formula and fed him and gave him water and meds and kept him warm. I watched him all night, in the morning I took him out and within 30 mins he was dead. I was devastated as was my other bird. I took my other bird to the vet to have him (found out he was a she) completely checked out. My bird that died had a high white blood cell count. Anyway all the tests have all come back on my bird that is still alive and she is OK.

She is very lonely I work at home so I am with her most of the time but she screams if she is alone (when nobody is in the room). I try not to take her out all the time as I do want her to get used to be alone but its breaking my heart. I am wondering if I should get her another friend. There is a local bird store they hand rear all species of birds there and I was looking at the young hand reared cockatiels. If I do get another bird should I go through all the tests for the new baby bird. The store owner told me that the parents have been tested and are kept in a special location as are all of the babies. I am not sure what to do for the best and I am so worried about my little bird.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How long ago did he die? I would wait for at least 3 months and dis-infect everything. From the cage, dish, toys, etc. Yes to take the new bird for testing and also quarantine the new comer in a complete different room for at least a month before you attempt introducing them together!!! Sorry about your loss, when they get sick they can die pretty quickly....

EmeraldIsle

Mar 26, 2011
My cockatiel died from sickness recently too, but I didn't even get to take him to the vet because I realized too late that he was sick. I work at home too. We lived together for 6 years and that can't be replaced. I'm gonna get another cockatiel or an amazon parrot in the next few months. I think you should get another cockatiel to keep your cockatiel company.

Most Reactions

Latest posts